Lt. Commander
# 11
09-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
And with that, I will have to disagree, and for the reason you just said in the first half of that sentence. Being able to mix and match your own powers is a HUGE thing in a superhero MMO. There is no "huge" thing related to Trek that free players arent getting in STO's matrix. Therefore the reason to subscribe in STO will be far less than in Champs.
But if we're talking Freeform again we're talking about a huge benefit that Champions Online Gold subscribers get. So to create the same dynamic between Gold and Silver that's been so successful in Champions Online we need STO to get something "huge" to offer as part of their Gold subscription.

And in fact, I think that's where our answer is going to be. Everyone's thinking too small. Everyone is taking existing in game items, systems, and benefits and either trying to pull them away from silver subscribers or buff them for Gold subscribers. But my hope is that they're working on a game changer on par with Freeform that they can give to Gold subscribers.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-07-2011, 09:24 AM
If we're going with the ideas that CO came up with then the few I mentioned in another post would work:

One idea is to make character power customization available to golds. Open up the entire skill tree to all Golds.

Another is to make custom kits available for creation to Golds.

These ideas would take time to code and work on. I think there's a faster way to get something in to the matrix for the golds: Remove the skill point cap.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-07-2011, 09:27 AM
The one thing I would add to the gold membership to sweeten the want to go to gold or stay a gold member is this...

All paying Gold subscribers get a 10-15% discount on all C-Store purchases while the free to play players still have to pay full price for the C-Store items.

I have seen many free to play games do this for their members as an incentive and a thank you for subscribing.

That would be one perk that would make staying gold a very good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
If we're going with the ideas that CO came up with then the few I mentioned in another post would work:

One idea is to make character power customization available to golds. Open up the entire skill tree to all Golds.

Another is to make custom kits available for creation to Golds.

These ideas would take time to code and work on. I think there's a faster way to get something in to the matrix for the golds: Remove the skill point cap.
Those are brilliant ideas.

Gold members having access to an unlocked skill tree not only gives a slight but not overpowering option for both PvE and PvP due to the flexibility it offers but also gives a reason to log in and play month after month.

Custom kits again gives a boost but nothing too major to Gold.

Both of these options also work from the point of view of going back and forward between Gold and Silver as once you drop to F2P you just need to respec back to the F2P skill limit just like with CO.

I also think limiting the quality of ground and space gear to common and uncommon items still lets Silver members play the game just not as well as Gold members along with Silvers having no access to crafting gives a good reason to go Gold.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-07-2011, 09:46 AM
I thing we had a number of Threads with that topic during the last two days.... but who keeps track anyway anymore atm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Some people think there aren't enough perks for Gold players to really keep a subscription going. I am not sure I entirely agree, but the idea is kinda irrelevant for me anyway. Some think we should perhaps reduce some of the stuff Silvers can get according to the actual F2P matrix. I am not convinced this is a good idea - the F2P package must be interesting enough to try it out and encourage people to buy stuff on the C-Store.
100% agree

Quote:
Pure Convenience
  • Additional Transwarp Locations unlocked as you level. (Appropriate to the main mission hubs at that rank)
  • A faster Transwarp Recharge.
  • Earlier access to Quantum Slipstream
  • Faster Quantum Slipstream, or longer duration.
  • Access to additional vendors (maybe a summonable vendor that also sells common gear)
Well I thing the Transwarp locations are prety well placed for feds, at least for ambassadors..... for klingons.... ahhhm.....
And I believe the CD, now it is 15 minutes, is fine.

The quantum slipstream could be gold only imo, its not THAT great that you need it to enjoy the game.... but for sure not enough to ensure suscriptions...

The access to additional vendors would IMO exclude silver users to much...

Quote:
Advancement Advantages
(Some are pretty close to "pay-for-power", but in the end not different fro the XP Boosters, and don't create direct competitive advantages in PvP or Fleet Actions)
  • additional 10-20 % Dilithium gain bonus (or free Dilithium bonus each time you gain a rank, replacing ship tokens)
  • Better Energy Credit vendor deals (say, 10-20 % off)
  • Free Duty Officers as you level
  • Increased chance for critical success results in Duty Officer assignments
I thing the "you get XY while leveling when gold"-idea sucks, lot of those who are willing to go gold if its worth it are done with leveling.
Also, the increase of DO-success is imo to much in the "Pay2win"corner.

Quote:
Cosmetic Advantages
  • Additional free uniform pieces
  • Additional ship costume options
  • Exclusive Uniform Pieces (not time-limited exclusive)

C-Store Perks
  • One random costume (1 uniform and 1 ship) on sale each week (in addition to regular sales for everyone)
Exclusive uniforms are a bad Idea, silver should have basicly access to everything (for its price)...

What people in all the discussions here seem to miss is that its not illogical to switch between silver and gold now and then.
If I say "Well I wont have much time this month, not going to that play much so I'll be silver, going gold next month or in 2 month again ".... what happens to exclusive costumes? Do they vanish?

So my ideas is to give us EASIER access to a lot of things, suggestet that before:
- MONTHLY respec tokkens.... not just "while leveling", or even respecs completly free for gold
- removing the EC price on any kind of costume changes, may be including an easier access to the tailor (that would allow us to match the whole crews to our captain at will^^)
- may be something like a personal emblem instead of the fleet emblem (even if its "just" accountwide)
- multispec?
- priority PVP-loggin
- a kind of "Play as BO" feature (or easier access to it...)
- may be even access to enemy faction ships...
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
But if we're talking Freeform again we're talking about a huge benefit that Champions Online Gold subscribers get. So to create the same dynamic between Gold and Silver that's been so successful in Champions Online we need STO to get something "huge" to offer as part of their Gold subscription.

And in fact, I think that's where our answer is going to be. Everyone's thinking too small. Everyone is taking existing in game items, systems, and benefits and either trying to pull them away from silver subscribers or buff them for Gold subscribers. But my hope is that they're working on a game changer on par with Freeform that they can give to Gold subscribers.
Your talking about something new, but your forgetting(possibly) that Freeform wasnt a new mechanic. Thats how the game worked before F2P. So translating that to STO, that doesnt mean coming up with some new mechanic to make subscribing better, it actually means limiting some existing mechanic for free players. That is, if you want to use the Freeform champs example. If you want to talk about adding a new mechanic you'll need something different to compare it to.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-07-2011, 02:41 PM
I think out of all the proposed ideas this is by far the best one.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Showing a matrix that favours Silver players and then changing it for the worse isn't really the best way to market things. Potential Silver players who may have been interested when the F2P announcement was made would come back to see the deal isn't as sweet as they thought it was. More bad publicity. Less new players.

Far better to buff Gold accounts without nerfing Silver. Just makes more sense that way. The matrix as stands gives the impression of a line being drawn under the existing game as a base for Silver players.

Bit of luck we've got that DOff system coming up - which wasn't mentioned on the matrix at all. As a central game mechanic with no equivalent in the existing game, it will have been designed with the Gold / Silver divide in mind.

So expect to see Gold players getting a lot more out of their Duty Officers than Silver players. Whether that's allowing for extra assignments, larger buffs, or even an additional booster pack or two each month remains to be seen.

I doubt the cries to nerf Silver would be heard by Cryptic anyway. Their business plan by definition must be further reaching than the whims of angsty forumites.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-07-2011, 03:47 PM
I think the OP has a great idea and would probably go along way toward soothing things out.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Some people think there aren't enough perks for Gold players to really keep a subscription going. I am not sure I entirely agree, but the idea is kinda irrelevant for me anyway. Some think we should perhaps reduce some of the stuff Silvers can get according to the actual F2P matrix. I am not convinced this is a good idea - the F2P package must be interesting enough to try it out and encourage people to buy stuff on the C-Store.

So, here are some of my ideas, but I would like to hear more idas from other players.

Some or all of these items might be interesting to add.

Pure Convenience
  • Additional Transwarp Locations unlocked as you level. (Appropriate to the main mission hubs at that rank)
  • A faster Transwarp Recharge.
  • Earlier access to Quantum Slipstream
  • Faster Quantum Slipstream, or longer duration.
  • Access to additional vendors (maybe a summonable vendor that also sells common gear)

Advancement Advantages
(Some are pretty close to "pay-for-power", but in the end not different fro the XP Boosters, and don't create direct competitive advantages in PvP or Fleet Actions)
  • additional 10-20 % Dilithium gain bonus (or free Dilithium bonus each time you gain a rank, replacing ship tokens)
  • Better Energy Credit vendor deals (say, 10-20 % off)
  • Free Duty Officers as you level
  • Increased chance for critical success results in Duty Officer assignments

Cosmetic Advantages
  • Additional free uniform pieces
  • Additional ship costume options
  • Exclusive Uniform Pieces (not time-limited exclusive)

C-Store Perks
  • One random costume (1 uniform and 1 ship) on sale each week (in addition to regular sales for everyone)
Maybe on some of these. But it can't be a giveaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I get your point, but you also need to consider this: if you give people enough for free, then they wont feel the desire to spend money. So its actually in Cryptic's best interest not to give too much away for free. I mean, I'm currently playing Champs for absolutely nothing just because they let me play every mission in the game for free.

And keep in mind also that the majority of players are(and will be) pretty casual. As we've already been told the majority of the playerbase isnt even max level. So for people who play like that, the current matrix is going to give them pretty much all they'll ever need for free.
+1 to this whole post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
Well, no, I sort of disagree. The Cryptic F2P model is very friendly to freeloaders. They embrace freeloaders, they open their doors and hearts to freeloaders in hopes that some of those freeloaders will pay eventually. In Champions Online freeloaders, people who haven't spent a dime, get quite a bit, the most popular archtypes, the ability to control placement of their advantages, a full range of leveling missions and a wide range of character customization. Then they give their gold subscribers even more.
Someone's just revealed their bias against free players. You'd be fit to be tied if you were a monthly subscriber and a lifer described you this way. Why is it ok to make them second-class citizens more than they already are by virtue of what they have access to? Is it because they're still an abstract construct and not here in real life?