Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
09-08-2011, 02:09 AM
As far as I know the 125 WP is the cap now. Early on you could overcap well beyond 125, but that was for a fairly short period of time. Then for a few months it was 135, but at this point it's been fixed to 125 and has been for quite some time.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-08-2011, 03:18 AM
i haven't tested since june, but then i concluded ~135 was what you should shoot for. i tested by arming 8 beams and broadsiding a target and watching for the absolute lowest energy level over a couple of minutes of firing. having ~135 weapons power resulted in the highest of the low number i saw compared to ~125, higher then 135 didnt help. 125 may be the cap, but having it around 135 seems to minorly exploit energy drain in actual combat. but that was june, im due to actually retest again, who knows what happened since then. the status of the weapons power cap seems to get stealth nerfed and stealth buffed often. there was a time in April and May were the cap was completely broken and i could run ~200 power, fire 8 beams, and weapons power wouldn't move from 125. i could melt all, but was kinda swishy.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeHopper View Post
Why would you not use nadion inversion? Its one of the best ways to drive your damage up on a weapon volley, by mitigating the drain per shot.
True... but it's only up for, if memory serves, 30 secs every 2 minutes. It's definitely worth it, but it doesn't solve everything.

MVS5191, have you ever thought about switching up your skills a little? I just ask because you have quite a number of skills on shared cool downs, you might benefit from swapping them around.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Nagorak, dontdrunkimshoot - thank you both for chipping in here!

It was actually your previous analyses that led me to re-asking the question, as googling, checking archives, and checking cached pages showed me that you each performed extensive testing, but that results seemed to change for players only a few months later. I really appreciate the up-to-date info, and also want to thank you both for all the hard work you've done in the past.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWackyWombat View Post
True... but it's only up for, if memory serves, 30 secs every 2 minutes. It's definitely worth it, but it doesn't solve everything.

MVS5191, have you ever thought about switching up your skills a little? I just ask because you have quite a number of skills on shared cool downs, you might benefit from swapping them around.
I assume you refer to the EP to Shield and Weapons..

2 copies of shields and 2 copies of weapons chain perfectly.

00 sec : Activate 1st EP2W (30 sec CD on 2nd EP2W - 60 sec CD on self - 15 sec GCD)

15 sec : Activate 1st EP2S

30 sec : Activate 2nd EP2W

45 sec : Activate 2nd EP2S

60 sec : Activate 1st EP2W
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
I assume you refer to the EP to Shield and Weapons..

2 copies of shields and 2 copies of weapons chain perfectly.

00 sec : Activate 1st EP2W (30 sec CD on 2nd EP2W - 60 sec CD on self - 15 sec GCD)

15 sec : Activate 1st EP2S

30 sec : Activate 2nd EP2W

45 sec : Activate 2nd EP2S

60 sec : Activate 1st EP2W
The cool down on the skills themselves is 45 seconds not 60, unless you didn't put any points into the skills.
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakner View Post
There is a graphical DPS calculator out there (not sure where I got it) that shows the best effective beams for the buck at 125 power is 5. Going form 5 to 6 you only gained 163 DPS while dropping from 5 to 4 you lost over 400+. With 8 beams you are probably doing less DPS than with 6. I will see if I can dig up the link when I get home.

Because of this I swapped to a 5 array, 1 Dual beam and 1 torp fwd/rear build.

Edit:

The link is actually in th sticky above us in this forum.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=195929
No. He's not dong less DPS witth 8 beams vs 6 beams. 6 beams is a the sweet spot in DPS vs Energy Drain. After 6 beams you start to get diminishing returns in terms of addition damage. You still get more damage but not as much as say going from 3 beams to 4 beams.
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreal View Post
I saw that earlier - that very well written post is what inspired me to try 8 beams; you can see from his chart at 125 power that there's still a DPS gain for each beam: http://members.cox.net/nagorak/stoweaponscaling125.jpg

EDIT: That said, the different between 7 and 8 isn't THAT profound, though i think the interaction with my skills and consoles would still nudge that last beam to greater damage than, say, a Hargh'Peng fired at the beginning of a fight, before I just broadside/orbit. It's something for me to think about, at least.
You can make up a lot damage loss with 8 beams by running Directed Energy Modulation. DEM III with Weapon Power at 125 will to an addition 100+ pts of damage per damage tic. With with reduced power of 8 beams, that a lot of addition damage directly on the hull. And toss in a Fire At WIll for a very nice DPS bump as well.
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakner View Post
I found EP:S III sort of sucked even fully skilled itís only good for 2500k, I use it paired for the constant +30 shield buff though. My main shield heal is Sci TSS II / Tac Team combo, with a 95 Aux and fully skilled it is good for 1000 initial and 300/s for 15s. The 95 Aux is also is good for Hazzard Emitters and AuxtoStruc which heals for 12k per 45s and 6k per 15s respectively.
EPtS III doesn't suck. In addition to the additional shield power and heal, it also added a hefty amount (+30%) of shield damage resistance. In addition my Eng Captain's Rotate Shield Frequencies In addition to my Eng Captain's Rotate Shield Freq, I have EPtS III and EPtS I along with the Field Generator. My shields rarely go when except with a very concentrate bombardment. (except for the flippin' Borg.).
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-13-2011, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreal View Post
Nagorak, dontdrunkimshoot - thank you both for chipping in here!

It was actually your previous analyses that led me to re-asking the question, as googling, checking archives, and checking cached pages showed me that you each performed extensive testing, but that results seemed to change for players only a few months later. I really appreciate the up-to-date info, and also want to thank you both for all the hard work you've done in the past.
I've been working on a Foundry mission with my time in STO the past few months, but I'm due to update my calculator for S4. So, when I do I'll try to do another test on the power cap, and I'll post back here if I discover anything different. The first half of my mission is nearly done, so maybe I can get the program update/testing done in the next week or so, before finishing up part 2.