Lt. Commander
EDIT: This is a post suggesting adding a new power to the power tray labeled "Diplomacy" (see fourth paragraph below and post #8 below as well) as a quick and easy fix to the 'diplomacy' problem in STO. It is NOT a suggestion to start a very labor intensive rework of every mission in the game . That said....

Many missions in STO are resolved strictly by combat. And, just as in the real world sometimes fighting is the only choice left.

However we have as a basis in Star Trek, the mission "to seek out new lifeforms and new civilizations" not to kill, but to exchange ideas and culture. Why not make the Diplomatic system a little more useful by allowing it to be used in hostile encounters? Didn't Kirk, Picard, Janeway, etc. usually try to negotiate a peaceful resolution to a situation before opening up a can of whoop-ass?

What I'd like to propose is giving those characters with diplomatic skills the ablilty to defuse a sitiation before it turns into a shooting gallery. I would add an ability to the power tray both in space and on the ground that would represent "diplomacy" (or in Kirk's case, a Corbomite Manuever - lol). At the lowest levels of diplomatic standing it would have a very small chance to make what ever hostile group you were targeting (all members within that particlar group) leave you alone - commiting no hostile action toward you at all. The higher a characters diplomatic rank, the higher the chance of diplomacy working, so that those of Ambassador rank would truely be Ambassadors having the best chance on negotiating a peaceful resolution to a hostile situation.

Obviously if negotiations (or the Corbomite bluff :p) went bad, combat would ensue as normal.

So what do you think? Shouldn't diplomacy skills play a bigger role than just certain mission choices in STO, just as they did in the shows?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-07-2011, 01:28 PM
I think this is a great idea, if for nothing but to make that arduous grind through Diplomatic missions seem worthwhile. I love that Diplomacy has been woven into some of the high-profile missions (Mine Enemy comes to mind), but having a more regular application of my newly-founded charisma and charm would make me a lot happier.

As it is, I only am able to enjoy my fancy uniform and sexy Orion Princess, which isn't too shabby a deal.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-07-2011, 02:30 PM
I would be inclined to agree as well. And on the flipside of things...the marauding system should be used to intimidate the enemy into submission via your notorious reputation. (grrrr...I seriously want an evil grin emote on the forums already)
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-07-2011, 03:11 PM
This is something that was being increasingly explored [and then largely forgotten again] allow more diplomatic options in ground portions, especially during the FE and the remakes.
I'm sure these kind of unique and interesting options is something that will gradually take place as more and more missions get added and remade. (Stahl at one time said he hoped that all missions would one day be remade).
eg. Didn't the option to vulcan nerve pinch get restrospectively added to the Devidian series where you travel back in time. As well as the ability to talk your way round security teams and the like?
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-07-2011, 04:53 PM
This feedback was given and ignored when Diplomacy was being tested.

We're stuck with scanning plants and artifacts.

/yay
Lt. Commander
# 6 A BETTER Idea
09-07-2011, 04:56 PM
1st Contact missions are currently broken...they don't show up when and where they are supposed to. How about before they change/add to the way diplo missions work...they FIX the 1st contact missions. I've submitted a bug report two or three times on this...I've never heard boo in any official material thats been released since this issue came to light (most notably, the lack of anything concerning this on a release note or official thread from a Dev/Forum Moderator etc...) and I have seen others post about this. Where is that thread about 1st contact/Diplo being broken? Who knows...it's so important to the player base that it has fallen off the forums as far as I can see. So lots of luck getting any kind of positive change RE: Diplomacy...please don't hold your breath, I'd hate to think anything bad happened to you as you await a change in this area of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Hunter View Post
Many missions in STO are resolved strictly by combat. And, just as in the real world sometimes fighting is the only choice left.

However we have as a basis in Star Trek, the mission "to seek out new lifeforms and new civilizations" not to kill, but to exchange ideas and culture. Why not make the Diplomatic system a little more useful by allowing it to be used in hostile encounters? Didn't Kirk, Picard, Janeway, etc. usually try to negotiate a peaceful resolution to a situation before opening up a can of whoop-ass?

What I'd like to propose is giving those characters with diplomatic skills the ablilty to defuse a sitiation before it turns into a shooting gallery. I would add an ability to the power tray both in space and on the ground that would represent "diplomacy" (or in Kirk's case, a Corbomite Manuever - lol). At the lowest levels of diplomatic standing it would have a very small chance to make what ever hostile group you were targeting (all members within that particlar group) leave you alone - commiting no hostile action toward you at all. The higher a characters diplomatic rank, the higher the chance of diplomacy working, so that those of Ambassador rank would truely be Ambassadors having the best chance on negotiating a peaceful resolution to a hostile situation.

Obviously if negotiations (or the Corbomite bluff :p) went bad, combat would ensue as normal.

So what do you think? Shouldn't diplomacy skills play a bigger role than just certain mission choices in STO, just as they did in the shows?
many people complain the game doesnt feel like trek implementing this system will make quite a bit of those complaints go away
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris8016 View Post
This is something that was being increasingly explored [and then largely forgotten again] allow more diplomatic options in ground portions, especially during the FE and the remakes.
I'm sure these kind of unique and interesting options is something that will gradually take place as more and more missions get added and remade. (Stahl at one time said he hoped that all missions would one day be remade).
eg. Didn't the option to vulcan nerve pinch get restrospectively added to the Devidian series where you travel back in time. As well as the ability to talk your way round security teams and the like?
Well what I am suggesting in the OP isn't a rework of missions to accomodate a diplomacy option, but a new power which would go in the power tray.

Just like hiting the "stun beam" button for a phaser, you would target a mob, and press the "Diplomacy" button. If it worked, all members associated with that individual group, would ignore you from that point forward (no longer be hostile) and would count as 'defeated' for mission purposes. (If you blew your diplomacy roll, well the phaser beams and disruptor bolts would start flying).

By having it as a power, even in random explorer missions (like say, random B'Tran anomolies exploration) diplomacy could be used. There would be no need to have to rework every mission in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Basically it's just a glorified placate power. It might not be that hard to add. And it would be nice to have something like it...

Making it not work on animals, though, Borg or other creatures who really oughtn't be that interested in hearing what you have to say (The Fek'lhri come to mind) would be the tricky part. And probably be forgotten. So now you can go chat up the Borg while they're looking for artifacts from their third dynasty...
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
Basically it's just a glorified placate power. It might not be that hard to add. And it would be nice to have something like it...

Making it not work on animals, though, Borg or other creatures who really oughtn't be that interested in hearing what you have to say (The Fek'lhri come to mind) would be the tricky part. And probably be forgotten. So now you can go chat up the Borg while they're looking for artifacts from their third dynasty...
In a way it is like a super-placate power, because it actually "defeats" (counts as credit toward victory conditions) the target mob it works on.

As for animals and such (or Klingon captains with 'diplomacy' skills), as I alluded to in the OP, it would actually be considered a bluff (like the corbomite manuever), imtimidation, or plain old outwitting the opponent. The higher your 'diplomatic' rank the more tricks you have in your bag to deal with sitautions like this, giving you a better chance of it succeeding.