Lt. Commander
# 11
09-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
This feedback was given and ignored when Diplomacy was being tested.

We're stuck with scanning plants and artifacts.

/yay
Heretic has mentioned that they are considering changing the current diplomatic exploration missions to make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
This is a really good idea, as are reconfiguring some the existing Diplomacy missions to give more appropriate Commendation xp types.

This is on my list to investigate how big a task this would be. If there's time for it and if Goatshark will let me touch his mission editor, this may be feasible for launch. No promises, but I would like it to happen.
Right now Duty Officer assignments seems to be the only noncombat content that we can look forward to.

As far as the OP's idea, then certain future missions will have ways of incorporating diplomacy into them like Mine Enemy where you could reduce the amount of romulans in a room by talking to the guard. I just don't see certain races being able to be persuaded to talk to us and sit down for a cup of tea. Tried that with the Borg and the consequences weren't pretty. Assimilated tea leaves give a metallic taste to the tea.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-10-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't know about this. I mean in [i]theory[i] it would be nice to have diplomatic options. However, if they work anything like the ones we have now do, it would seem pointless to me.

Unless something has changed, in order to actually use the diplomatic option, you have to have diplomacy maxed out already. That means, play normally and gind dxp while at it then go back and replay everything. Why would you go through all of that twice, and mostly no worthwhile rewards.

Or you grind dxp only and ignore all missions until maxed diplomacy, but by that time your game expeirence is probably a bit ruined or off balance.

Of course, Crytpic could actually do something worthwhile about it. Like say for example, add much more diplomacy options so you almost always have that as an option. Then give you a higher chance of diplo success based on your diplo rank, but always that chance of success.

Like 5% at lowest then 15% , 25% etc. or something.

But that would require sense, effort, resources and time, so don't hold your breath for anything like this.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
This feedback was given and ignored when Diplomacy was being tested.

We're stuck with scanning plants and artifacts.

/yay
I hate to say it but i agree its was passed over when diplomacy was in testing
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-10-2011, 01:55 AM
Perhaps a "faction" system would intertwine nicely with the Diplomatic system. If you have the option at the beginning of a mission to "talk", perhaps offer some type of trade (or some other variations of options), you gain standing with that particular race/species or even that sector.

Over time, you get less "pew pew" missions and more "Aid the Planet" missions, which require no fighting, the XP reward, and a nice little token of friendship.

Of course, the opposite can also be true. If you just go in "guns a'blazing" and don't even bother talking to them, they can become increasingly hostile, and perhaps even "follow" you (meaning, that particular species shows up more often than others) and are more difficult the more you are their antagonist.

Obviously, this shouldn't work with races that are game-story-line enemies. And should pretty much be null and void when it comes to dealings with the Borg. But it would make sense in a time of a multi-front war that Federation and even Klingons would be trying to gain support instead of making even more enemies.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-10-2011, 03:46 AM
well, they have thrown in a few diplo situations... but yea, it should be a regular occorence.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-10-2011, 04:39 AM
I am all for more diplomatic and less violent missions, story-lines and features!
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felisdraconius
I don't know about this. I mean in [i]theory[i] it would be nice to have diplomatic options. However, if they work anything like the ones we have now do, it would seem pointless to me.

Unless something has changed, in order to actually use the diplomatic option, you have to have diplomacy maxed out already. That means, play normally and gind dxp while at it then go back and replay everything. Why would you go through all of that twice, and mostly no worthwhile rewards.

Or you grind dxp only and ignore all missions until maxed diplomacy, but by that time your game expeirence is probably a bit ruined or off balance.

Of course, Crytpic could actually do something worthwhile about it. Like say for example, add much more diplomacy options so you almost always have that as an option. Then give you a higher chance of diplo success based on your diplo rank, but always that chance of success.

Like 5% at lowest then 15% , 25% etc. or something.

But that would require sense, effort, resources and time, so don't hold your breath for anything like this.
The yellow parts are what I was getting at in the OP.

I went back and made it more clear that this "diplomacy" thing is a power you can use at each encounter (see the 4th paragraph and post #8 in this thread) - it is not a dialog choice that only happens infrequently (as is the current diplomacy model)

It is a one shot power that is used before combat begins - but can be used with each mob group you encounter. If it fails - fighting commences as normal. And yes, the higher your Diplomatic rank, the better chance this has of working.

There would be no need to grind DXP - - unless you wanted to. Don't care about diplomancy? Don't grind. Want to become a Diplomat while still an Ensign? Well that will take a lot of luck and work to avoid combat missions, but it's doable.

By making it a power (in addition to some missions having 'Diplomacy' options in their dialog choices) a total re-work of all current content becomes unnecessary.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-10-2011, 02:42 PM
The problem is that certain species would be unaffected by such a Diplomacy power. The way most missions are worked out, only certain exploration missions could work. Have to remove Gorn from a station diplomatically would be difficult since they are more likely to tear you to shreds than listen to you persuade them to leave in peace. New missions would need to be created where there is more than one way to solve it.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Hunter View Post
The yellow parts are what I was getting at in the OP.

I went back and made it more clear that this "diplomacy" thing is a power you can use at each encounter (see the 4th paragraph and post #8 in this thread) - it is not a dialog choice that only happens infrequently (as is the current diplomacy model)

It is a one shot power that is used before combat begins - but can be used with each mob group you encounter. If it fails - fighting commences as normal. And yes, the higher your Diplomatic rank, the better chance this has of working.

There would be no need to grind DXP - - unless you wanted to. Don't care about diplomancy? Don't grind. Want to become a Diplomat while still an Ensign? Well that will take a lot of luck and work to avoid combat missions, but it's doable.

By making it a power (in addition to some missions having 'Diplomacy' options in their dialog choices) a total re-work of all current content becomes unnecessary.
Mostly, my post was about how it might turn out if they use the system that is currently in place without changing it as you have suggested. My idea at the bottom was just what I thought might be a more realistic version of diplomacy then currently. Not saying dislike or disagree your idea at all, just that current system needs more and to be changed a lot. Perhaps, instead of separate ranking (now) or click power (your idea), it is an automatic thing and tied to and adjusted to your characters rank that goes up with it. Would basically be just like your idea but is all automatic and tied to togeher. At Lt get 1st rank, LtC get 2nd rank, Cmdr get 3rd, etc. Then a box pops up to say "you can use diplo" or "you can not use diplo"

Now that last line is still the problem, anything like this would still require time, effort, resources and some sense (doomsday is not the kind of mission where diplo should ever work, while the Admiral Zelle one might be a good choice) but we all know they are basically swamped for like the next year or so as much as we can tell.

Who knows, maybe they are building more into the new system then we currently know about. Afterall I have heard the doff system is supposed to have some diplo stuff, so maybe they are already on it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Several of us have suggested detailed systems to simulate interactions with NPCs. We've been ignored.

My own system involved three styles of interaction, with related skills. Diplomacy = diplomatic style. Intimidation = aggressive style. Flattery = Passive style.

Each race would have a preferred communication style. That is, they would respond more positively to one of the three. They would also have one style that has the opposite effect. Klingons, for example, would respond favourably to the Aggressive style (they respect strength) and unfavourably to the Diplomatic style. The response of specific NPCs would vary from the "default" states of the races, so you would have to figure out which style the NPC will respond well to by interpreting his dialog.

The objective would be to reduce the hostility rating of the NPC, on a scale of 1-10. Some races are inherently more aggressive and hostile (again, like Klingons). The base hostility would be modified by your character's reputation (ie past history) and the specifics of the situation (eg. if your ship is more powerful than the NPC's, he would likely be less hostile. If the mission isn't critical, he might be less hostle. And so on).

Thus, for example, if you've been helping the Bexxians out, or repeatedly deferring to them on missions, they will respond more positively to you.

This is just rough, of course.