Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Hi. Been playing for a couple of days now and loving it.

The biggest problem I am having, is how to I correctly pause/stop the game without losing any progress.

In almost all the other games I've played on the PC, hitting ESC will bring up the pause menu, pausing the game, meaning I can leave the computer (even for hours) without it doing anything.

But in STO, the game continues behind the menu, without pausing.

If i'm walking around the spacedock, or in sector space, it's no problem to leave myself parked there whilst I go downstairs for dinner, or for other lengthy interruptions.

The problem is I cannot do this during a space battle.

Also, stopping the game, such as at bedtime or if I have to stop playing to do something else, if I just hit ESC and click Exit, will I lose my mission/battle progress?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
09-09-2011, 04:25 AM
This isn't a game that has a singleplayer aspect (although some would argue otherwise) that you can "pause". You log out when you're done and when you log back in, you'll be where you left off. If you log off in a mission (i.e. a non-social instance) then you'll be back in sector space and, for the most part, continue the mission from the last respawn point.

I would also advise against "parking" in a social zone for an extended period of time. Just log out and log back in when you return. You'll always be where you were in a social zone, like ESD.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
09-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought05 View Post
If you log off in a mission (i.e. a non-social instance) then you'll be back in sector space and, for the most part, continue the mission from the last respawn point.
My concern with that is, like last night, I was doing a mission requiring me to "Defeat Orion Battleships [4/5]".

I'd put a lot of effort into it, and was in the process of defeating the 5th and final ship. My concern was that, if I were to exit mid-battle, I would lose my progress, and have to redo all the fighting of the first four ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought05 View Post
I would also advise against "parking" in a social zone for an extended period of time.
Any particular reason?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
09-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepusey View Post
Hi. Been playing for a couple of days now and loving it.

The biggest problem I am having, is how to I correctly pause/stop the game without losing any progress.

In almost all the other games I've played on the PC, hitting ESC will bring up the pause menu, pausing the game, meaning I can leave the computer (even for hours) without it doing anything.

But in STO, the game continues behind the menu, without pausing.

If i'm walking around the spacedock, or in sector space, it's no problem to leave myself parked there whilst I go downstairs for dinner, or for other lengthy interruptions.

The problem is I cannot do this during a space battle.

Also, stopping the game, such as at bedtime or if I have to stop playing to do something else, if I just hit ESC and click Exit, will I lose my mission/battle progress?
Mmos don't have a walk away pause button, you DO have a tactical pause in ground combat if you are alone, but that is a limited time 45 second thing for boff management and placement. You can't walk away using it because the counter will run out. The other games you played were single player only.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
09-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Most missions will loose their current progress if you leave the map/zone. The best thing to do if you need a break for a little bit is to just find a safe place to stay where there are no enemies and/or cloak if you have that ability (Note, many science vessel NPCs will be able to detect you if within 10km when cloaked).

Indeed, this is an MMO (online one) so there is no permanent pause feature like in Single Player games. As well, as you have noticed, missions are not similar to other MMOs in saving progress. Most missions in STO can be completed withing 10-20 minutes anyway. Some take longer depending on your familiarity and equipment. Fewer are designed to be longer.

Ground missions do have a Pause feature but has a max pause length of 45 seconds (it starts low then grows up to 45 sec as you play) and is there to allow you to pause and issue BOff abilities on the fly. You can set this to a hotkey in the options menu.


As for the reason to not sit in a social zone (not sure why specifically a social zone...) is because if you are AFK (without any in game actions happening by you) for 15 minutes, you will be automatically logged out.

You'll see yourself go AFK after 5 minutes and then at 10 minutes you'll get a red warning saying you'll be logged out in 5 more minutes time. As long as you can press a key or left/right click the mouse on the screen before the 15 minutes is up, you can effectively stay afk forever (until server downtime or connection loss of course).

I would like to see the auto log feature removed for Lifers/Monthlies, as I often have to go AFK for longer than 15 minutes during a mission due to health. My G15 helps though in that aspect. I am still in front of my PC though, just not coherent while I wait for meds to kick in or my muscles to relax and what-not. When I do have to leave the PC, I will always log out if I will be gone for more than 15 mins, just so I am not being unattended, which is against the Rules.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
09-09-2011, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepusey View Post
My concern with that is, like last night, I was doing a mission requiring me to "Defeat Orion Battleships [4/5]".

I'd put a lot of effort into it, and was in the process of defeating the 5th and final ship. My concern was that, if I were to exit mid-battle, I would lose my progress, and have to redo all the fighting of the first four ships.



Any particular reason?
You could just die, the game has no real punishment for failing. If you only needed a few minutes then just walk away let it kill you and the respawn when you get back. The game will kick you for inactivity if you are gone for more than 10 or 15 minutes though and then you will need to redo the whole thing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
09-09-2011, 04:54 AM
You can't idle on ESD (or anywhere) as you get logged out automatically after 15 minutes of inactivity. Every connection puts a strain on the servers, even if you're idling, so no MMO out there allows people to sit around even social zones for hours on end. They'd have to get more servers and either costs elsewhere, or make you pay more to use them.

You can't pause any instances/battles for more than 45 seconds, cause there might be other people, and it wouldn't do if everything and every player in a zone ground to a halt, unable to do anything indefinately, cause you had to go take out the trash and got distracted passing the TV. As for your scenario with 4/5 kills, as I said, you have 15 minutes of idle time. If you simply park your ship 10 to 15 kilometers away from your last target, you've got about that long to do whatever you need to do. If you take longer and get logged out, or leave the zone, then yes, you will lose your progress on that particular stage of the mission.

The really long missions tend to have multiple stages so you don't have to start all the way at the beginning if you can't do it one session. Small ones, like patrols, don't. Frankly I fail to see why you couldn't kill that last ship, if you were going to be away for more than 15 minutes. A single space battle doesn't take more than one or two minutes in my experience.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
09-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
You could just die, the game has no real punishment for failing.
Unless you're set to do mission on Advanced or Elite. Then you will take ship/crew injuries upon death/exploding. Normal difficulty has no death repercussions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
09-09-2011, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepusey View Post
My concern with that is, like last night, I was doing a mission requiring me to "Defeat Orion Battleships [4/5]".

I'd put a lot of effort into it, and was in the process of defeating the 5th and final ship. My concern was that, if I were to exit mid-battle, I would lose my progress, and have to redo all the fighting of the first four ships.



Any particular reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zebular
Unless you're set to do mission on Advanced or Elite. Then you will take ship/crew injuries upon death/exploding. Normal difficulty has no death repercussions.
I count that as no real punishment, I play advanced and elite. I get back, click respawn click the injured button cure it and move on. like I said , no REAL punishment:p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
09-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
I count that as no real punishment, I play advanced and elite. I get back, click respawn click the injured button cure it and move on. like I said , no REAL punishment:p
True, that!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39 AM.