Lt. Commander
# 11
09-09-2011, 12:57 PM
My impressions concerning the recent Ask Cryptic

Quote:
Q: N.Bridger: Could you give us more information about the skilltree revamp?

A: In order to make space skills more applicable to all builds, we will be removing skills that currently apply only to a specific ship class or energy type and replacing them with more accessible skills such as +Dam or +Turn Rate, etc. This will address the issue where some skill paths only apply to very specific builds or ship classes. Now all space skills will offer some benefit to every player who chooses them. We will be testing this on our F2P Test Server in the upcoming months where players will be able to see the changes first hand. Players who have points in the removed skills will receive a free respec.
Okay, I'm just gonna say it. This is sexy as hell.

Quote:
Q: Jermbot: If the F2P news hadn't been leaked, when would you have publicly unveiled said plan? Can we get a Romulan Material skin for our ships? Something green and sexy to tide us over until "beyond season 5" gets here?

A: Our intent was to announce F2P when we did earlier this week. We are reserving the ability to fly Romulan ships or ships that look like Romulan warbirds until we can allow players to play as Romulans. That said, we are discussing ways to get this onto our schedule and looking at all possibilities to get Romulans into the game.
He answered my question! *squeeeeee* And this makes some hidden 'gold subscriber bonus on par with Freeform" much less likely. On the other hand, I've decided to take "we are discussing ways to get this onto our schedule" as a literal declaration of their intent to give me what I really really want as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Q: Tricksterbro: Can you offer us a few plot spoilers on Feature Episodes? Just to whet our appetites?

A: How about EV Suits?

Q: whamhammer: Can subscribers get ponies when the game goes F2P????

A: Be careful what you ask for! I’ve heard that Ponies is the name of a rare and deadly disease on the planet Spar’Kelhorz.
Damn, talk about ending on a high note. EV suits? I wonder if that's going to come with some low gravity mechanic....
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Q: Tricksterbro: Can you offer us a few plot spoilers on Feature Episodes? Just to whet our appetites?

A: How about EV Suits?
Maybe Tricksterbro should have worded it to include the words "and mention something you've not mentioned or hinted towards in the past few Ask Cryptics"?
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
random dune reference ftw
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Quote:
A: The best advice for this is to continue to monitor the Engineering Reports which details what content is being worked on and gives an idea what is coming. We do plan to get new content in front of our players with the F2P launch which was noted to be before the end of the year. As far as new content goes, the Borg Red Alerts were just released a week ago. Work progresses on the DS9 Feature Episode Series and we still have plenty of STF and Borg invasion content in the works. The only thing that we are discussing is whether to make this content available earlier by putting it all on the test server so that current players can at least enjoy the content before F2P launch.
So... no new FE or other Content and only the Borg Ground Invasion and "revamps" of FIVE Missions before the end of the year... or did I miss something there?
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Well.. a few more firmer dates than just 'eventually' so that's cool. We're basically, it looks like, looking at F2P sometime before the end of the year along with the next FE and the DOff system. And 2012 for the next big thing, it seems.

If I had remembered to ask a question, I'd have asked if there was any sort of roadmap by quarter for STO development, but I can see where that'd be something they don't want to share.

EAs and Ask Cryptics are allways appreciated, even if we get really exhausted not hearing any even soft dates. (Though after all that's happened, I can see why they don't give those out, either.)
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Q: whamhammer: Can subscribers get ponies when the game goes F2P????

A: Be careful what you ask for! I’ve heard that Ponies is the name of a rare and deadly disease on the planet Spar’Kelhorz.
Dan, as much as I love WoW...I think I love you more, heh. I think I also have a quote for my signature.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl
I’ve heard that Ponies is the name of a rare and deadly disease on the planet Spar’Kelhorz.
You, sir, have just won the Intertubes for an hour. Excellent way to end the Ask Cryptic, heh.

Anyhoo, I'm kind of looking forward to the transition to F2P, especially since the two things I'm most interested in (Doff system and the return of the Featured Episodes) are tied into it. I surely wouldn't turn away an invite to the F2P beta. (Okay, sorry about that; shameless begging finished.)

I'm also a big fan of LionheartVI's question about visiting older ships/museums. I'm really looking forward to some lore missions about them. Oh, and account-wide bank? Why, yes, please!

Looking forward to (hopefully) seeing most/all of the stuff mentioned in this Ask Cryptic. I am curious, though, about this month's/October's (planned) Season 4.1 update. Is it mainly going to consist of Gozer's updated STFs (and maybe the Borg ground invasion events), or will we be getting other shineys as well? *cough* Klingon Academy *cough*

Thanks again for the article!
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm concerned with what appears to be some backpedalling on launch dates for the next FE series. In the last engineering report, this was to be "Late October". Now the official word is, "When F2P happens, whenever that is -- we hope before the end of the year".
EB
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-09-2011, 02:21 PM
EV suits!!!

Finally, I asked if EV suits would be in game before STO was released, because not every planet can be M-Class and walking on the deck plating like in First Contact would be awesome. I'm glad to hear this will be in game!
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Sounds like F2P beta can open as soon as this Month or early October, if they expect to add in the next FE on the beta shard around the end of Oct.