Lt. Commander
# 31 More Bases?
09-09-2011, 03:56 PM
"A while back I posted that Iím considering opening up crafting to your ship interior so that you donít need to travel back to Memory Alpha to make an item. In addition, one of the interior rooms we have on our to-do list is a Shuttle-bay where you could see the shuttles you own (in ground scale) and launch them from your ship interior. That said, we donít expect to add functions like Banking or Exchange to ship interiors as we do want people to socialize even if it means everyone going to ESD to buy a new costume. STO is a very solo heavy mmo so any time we can put your around other players, we want to do so."

A valid point. However, I would argue that, when you force a player to travel all the way from (insert name of sector block here) to (insert name of base here) simply in order to (insert name of base-exclusive task here) you are neither presenting us with challenging game play nor helping us to socialize. With apologies for my bluntness, you are just wasting our time. I know that we have both transwarp drive and quantum slipstream, but both of those abilities punish players with cool-down times that seem only to try to make us feel bad for not wanting our time wasted. If the goal is for players to socialize, then how about a crafting base and a fully functional starbase in each sector block? I can only speak for myself, but I am always in a much more social mood when I'm not being made to hurry up and wait.
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Q: UFP_Dodgers: How can you justify having Klingons start at level 25, halfway through Commander when there is new Gorn and Orion ships coming at Commander, so basicly you are killing half of those ships play time?
A: Sounds like a misunderstanding. Klingon play is unlocked by achieving level 25 with a Fed character. New Klingon players will most likely start around level 18ish and leave QoínoS as soon as they finish the welcome quests, hit level 21, and get their Commander ship. As far as ships that are below Commander? We are still debating what to do with them until we can backfill the lower level KDF gameplay in a future expansion.
Nice to see that the confusion of Klingon starting level is resolved and it sounds quite nice that way.
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Can we get that image from this month's ask Cryptic as a high res wallpaper please?
Lt. Commander
# 34
09-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Basically, we no longer plan to sell playable species when we go F2P (and will most likely stop selling them prior as well). Premium playable species such as Liberated Borg, Caitians, Klingon Fed, and Joined Trill will not be sold but will instead remain premium rewards for either lifetime membership, veteran rewards, or unlocked via some other in game mechanism. In addition, some species such as Fed Ferengi, Rigelian, Tellarite, and Pakled will become free additional default species. If we introduce new species in the future, they will most likely be tied to unlocking some achievement or special reward in game, but the details are TBD.

That sounds good and all, but will those of who already bought them from the c-store get a refund or some other form of reinbursment?
Lt. Commander
# 35
09-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Q: OldLordSkull: What are your immediate/short-term plans for the Foundry? Us authors would love more assets, triggers, cut-scene tech and more, but we've seen nothing for a long time.

A: Because the Foundry is a cross project tool that will appear in multiple Cryptic Games, the development team that manages the Foundry features are currently working on features for Neverwinter. That said, in order to bring over all of the new features and updates they are adding to the tool, we need to synch up our code between our projects in order to take advantage. We expect to do this sort of big merge again after F2P launches. In the short term, one of the things the STO team can do is hook up new social zones for Foundry access.
Can you clarify how this division of responsibilites works?

Who is responsible for updating the Foundry with STO team art assets? Who is responsible for making changes that will make the animations work properly? Why are the assets like ESD not being updated?

It sounds like the Foundry team works on the mechanics, but there is a lot that the STO could do, if the Foundry was higher on the priority list. Is that a fair statement?
Lt. Commander
# 36
09-09-2011, 05:31 PM
This sounds like all the promises we had before...except that time we were waiting for season 4....just more excuses for no content and lots of bugs, and more promises that I won't hold my breath for. I just wish something would roll out, I really love this game and I hope some of this comes true.
Lt. Commander
# 37
09-09-2011, 05:45 PM
" We will be testing this on our F2P Test Server in the upcoming months"

May I assume the server would be Tribble, or did you start another test server.

EDIT: NM. He mentions a F2P Beta later in the post. I wonder why they have to start a whole new test server.
Lt. Commander
# 38
09-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzilla76 View Post
"A while back I posted that Iím considering opening up crafting to your ship interior so that you donít need to travel back to Memory Alpha to make an item. In addition, one of the interior rooms we have on our to-do list is a Shuttle-bay where you could see the shuttles you own (in ground scale) and launch them from your ship interior. That said, we donít expect to add functions like Banking or Exchange to ship interiors as we do want people to socialize even if it means everyone going to ESD to buy a new costume. STO is a very solo heavy mmo so any time we can put your around other players, we want to do so."

A valid point. However, I would argue that, when you force a player to travel all the way from (insert name of sector block here) to (insert name of base here) simply in order to (insert name of base-exclusive task here) you are neither presenting us with challenging game play nor helping us to socialize. With apologies for my bluntness, you are just wasting our time. I know that we have both transwarp drive and quantum slipstream, but both of those abilities punish players with cool-down times that seem only to try to make us feel bad for not wanting our time wasted. If the goal is for players to socialize, then how about a crafting base and a fully functional starbase in each sector block? I can only speak for myself, but I am always in a much more social mood when I'm not being made to hurry up and wait.
Well put.

/agree
Lt. Commander
# 39
09-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Cool story bro.

and...

Too long. Did not read.

Just kidding, looking forward to more interiors. The TOS interior is great so I'd like TNG and other to scale interiors. Giant corridors and rooms even on tiny ships are not my thing.
Lt. Commander
# 40 The fleet search system
09-09-2011, 05:59 PM
I find it hard to find a good fleet. can you give me any tips as to how to better choose the fleet that is right for me. I have tried using the find a fleet system, but it seems that many of the fleets are now dissolved, misrepresented, or otherwise. Can we have an update to help people find fleets, even if it is web based?