Lt. Commander
# 41
09-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Sounds like F2P beta can open as soon as this Month or early October, if they expect to add in the next FE on the beta shard around the end of Oct.
if you read between the lines it implies more toward november. it certainly won't be this month, nor 'early' october. very late october is an unlikely maybe

frankly all I see in this ask cryptic is alot of half answers and dodging real answers to most of the questions

Quote:
" We will be testing this on our F2P Test Server in the upcoming months"

May I assume the server would be Tribble, or did you start another test server.
theres an internal development test server as well. he may have been referring to that
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_trekie View Post
Basically, we no longer plan to sell playable species when we go F2P (and will most likely stop selling them prior as well). Premium playable species such as Liberated Borg, Caitians, Klingon Fed, and Joined Trill will not be sold but will instead remain premium rewards for either lifetime membership, veteran rewards, or unlocked via some other in game mechanism. In addition, some species such as Fed Ferengi, Rigelian, Tellarite, and Pakled will become free additional default species. If we introduce new species in the future, they will most likely be tied to unlocking some achievement or special reward in game, but the details are TBD.

That sounds good and all, but will those of who already bought them from the c-store get a refund or some other form of reinbursment?
Likely you'll get to keep the special ones if you've already unlocked it, otherwise people will have characters with races they aren't allowed to have. My concern is if it'll be retro-active. Meaning, doing mission X gives you Caitian... I've already don't mission X so I get to have Caitian right from the start of F2P.

I should have asked if they are going to remove the Pekleds, or atleast justify why they added them in...
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Spar’Kelhorz

Lol I love Dstahl's sense of humor. All this new stuff that's coming sounds amazing. Whole new beta, FE's, and such; F2P is definitely a game changer.
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Well, this was a letdown. He didn't answer anything regarding whether or not the matrix would change (no, I don't believe them when they say "subject to change").

We get 400 C-Points per month and Foundry author access?

Yippee-skippy.... -.-'

Were I thinking about subbing post-F2P, these alone wouldn't be enough to attract me. If I weren't a lifer, I'd have no reason to stay subbed.

C'mon! Surprise me with something that would lure me back! Show me you love your subs, too. Restore my faith.
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
if you read between the lines it implies more toward november. it certainly won't be this month, nor 'early' october. very late october is an unlikely maybe

frankly all I see in this ask cryptic is alot of half answers and dodging real answers to most of the question
I may be overly cynical, but I believe these answers are par for the course. Promise the world and deliver Midway Island.
Lt. Commander
# 46
09-09-2011, 08:05 PM
I don't normally comment on the forums regarding this stuff but seriously, I have to on this. I used to enjoy reading the Ask Cryptics and get excited, now I'm finding myself more annoyed by them than anything.

So basically, the answer to every question about content is, till after F2P. I'm sorry, what the hell have we being paying you for?! I have been paying my sub faithfully thinking, yeh, cool stuff will come soon. And now you are going to just release new content after months of bugger all for FREE?!! Thanks Craptic. Why don't you go get that pony and I'll tell you where it can go!

I would really like Cryptic to consider releasing the new FE before F2P as a thank you to all of us who have been paying you rather than slapping us in the face with, you paid us, we screwed you and now we are going to give it away for free.
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_trekie View Post
Basically, we no longer plan to sell playable species when we go F2P (and will most likely stop selling them prior as well). Premium playable species such as Liberated Borg, Caitians, Klingon Fed, and Joined Trill will not be sold but will instead remain premium rewards for either lifetime membership, veteran rewards, or unlocked via some other in game mechanism. In addition, some species such as Fed Ferengi, Rigelian, Tellarite, and Pakled will become free additional default species. If we introduce new species in the future, they will most likely be tied to unlocking some achievement or special reward in game, but the details are TBD.

That sounds good and all, but will those of who already bought them from the c-store get a refund or some other form of reinbursment?
There won't be a reinbursment. I asked Stormshade about it here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=231031&page=3

His response is a bit different then Dan's. But both end with they aren't 100% sure on how the unlocks will work. I liked Stormshade's response better that you will need to earn the species so if you do own them you should be able to save yourself a bit of a grind.
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-09-2011, 08:18 PM
LET ME GUESS... DAN STAHL SAID STUFF!!

I was one of the fan of Dan stahl after seing more than twelve times the same answers to the same asks and nothing much coming in game out of them. I'm simply tired. But rejoice F2P will bring you a lot of new players that will just not stay to share with you how disapointed and frustrated they are with STO

WHO SAID F2P WAS A BAD THING ?

Well what I just said isn't quite the whole truth ... BAD BAD ME ! in this ask cryptic Dan stahl answer twice to the same question in two different ways (the klingon hair stuff search for Kaal if you don't believe me ) Looks like he repeated himself so much that he don't really knows now on what tune dance

Simon_Picard well said sir... crytic passed CO in F2P in less than a year according to them that game wasn't profitable at all. What is their reason to pass STO in F2P this game is getting alot of subscribers a lot of money and according to ATARI STO is the best income to cryptic... Mainly cause of us the idiotic people paying to play the game while others are waiting for cryptic to pass in F2P that game... I think they delayed the FE for this reason : MONEY step one you open to f2P step 2 you release paid FE series (like they did in CO). As the players base is significantly bigger then the incomes of fresh cash expect out of this rarety that are the FE series will be even bigger. FE has to be rare and has to be a very well polished thing cause hey that's the reason why people will massively pay for not the XYZ collector blipping starship that we saw in that very cannonic cultisim episode of this series aired more than 20 years ago available to you for the symbolic fees of 5000 Cryptic Point in the C-Store !
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-09-2011, 09:00 PM
For Those of you who paid to get in this is now a free concert. Unknown Woodstock
Lt. Commander
# 50
09-09-2011, 09:06 PM
As a lifer I find myself annoyed at every last thing being delayed until F2P. I can only imagine what it's like paying $15/mo with no featured episodes after all the talk about them. Delayed DS9 Featured Series, delayed Duty Officer System, delayed Enterprise-F, delayed KDF Academy, the list goes on and on.

I want to be encouraged about F2P and STO's future. But this Ask Cryptic just makes me think that everything that is delayed until F2P is going to be paid for using higher prices in the C-Store. I hope I'm wrong on this but I believe that's how the F2P revenue model works.

In any case, since just about everything is delayed for F2P, along with another code merger, my biggest concerns now are massive bugs and server problems like we've experienced with Seasons 2, 3 and 4.

If I'm invited to STO's F2P Beta I will certainly help with the load testing and feedback. I think you're going to need all the help and eyes that you can get given our past super buggy experiences with big releases.