Lt. Commander
Someone had mentioned in another thread about how as far as TREK-LORE, Admirals commanding ships
just wasnt right, and that it should have stopped at Captain, then just add levels of Captain. (Made sense
enough to me since everyone knows Admirals end up behind a desk.) (KIRK-"....dont let them promote you!")

Well I got to mulling over this idea lastnight while going over my BO's. I realized THEIR top rank was
Captain. (Hey man, these guys should have their OWN ship at that rank!) Then I started thinking about it.
CORRECTION:>> It is Commander,but says next rank Captain. (Double check that!)

The only example I can think to give is this one. Anyone that has played "CITY of HEROES" should recall
there were certain type of characters that could have like up to 3 drones. I had a Villain who I called
"DARK VOIDER" had these 3 bot-drones you could activate and use against your enemys. You could
power them up also as you received the points to do so.

How would the idea sound to anyone, after your BO's hit Captain, they would be one of your "Drone-Ships"
(You could also limit this to two or three ships,but you have to level it from ground up). Your BO would
instantly turn into a "Drone-Ship" ticket once promoted to Captain, then you go back to Starbase and
collect the type Drone-Ship you want him or her to be. Choose your weapons and power-up!
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-10-2011, 08:43 AM
This idea's been suggested before. And responded to by DStahl and was being developed.

That development was put on hold in the past year. And all reference to this type of subject has been buried.

So because of the necro thread policy, it is really sad but none of the original information is readily available.

Which is why the necro thread policy is bad. Because players just end up not knowing valuable information, like ... this thread. Where the idea being presented is something that DStahl himself has considered and addressed in more than one post and Ask Cryptic.

More evidence of the forums not being helpful to the playerbase.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
This idea's been suggested before. And responded to by DStahl and was being developed.

That development was put on hold in the past year. And all reference to this type of subject has been buried.

So because of the necro thread policy, it is really sad but none of the original information is readily available.

Which is why the necro thread policy is bad. Because players just end up not knowing valuable information, like ... this thread. Where the idea being presented is something that DStahl himself has considered and addressed in more than one post and Ask Cryptic.

More evidence of the forums not being helpful to the playerbase.
Threads don't die if people are interested in them. If a thread goes dead there was a reason for it, and necroing something to respond to what someone said a year ago just makes you seem like the guy that made a smell in the elevator.

Within a month the thread is usually still valid but usually most old threads are just that, old and out of date but yes you can still get some info from them. Personally I usually do a google site search on the forums for stuff, works way better than the forum search, skim the info on a subject and get caught up on what I'm looking for.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...w=1005&bih=810
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Threads don't die if people are interested in them.
Yeah, they do. This topic is a great example of how that happens. People post the idea. The idea gets picked up by DStahl who says hey, it's a great idea, we're working on seeing if it can be done.

And ... 9 months go by. Nothing other than it's on the back burner. The thread is dead.

And we have someone start up something new asking for the same thing and a lot of people don't even realize that it's already in development, but way down on the list of things to do.

Because the thread died. And can't be resurrected. Cause god forbid we share information with each other even if it's old information.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Admirals do command ships, proof, the last episode of DS9 (which I saw yesterday), Admiral whats his name, Chancellor Martok, and Captain Sisko commanded the battle. Go check again guys, ADMIRALS do indeed command a ship and go in battles.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I would love to have some pet ships. especially when the rank goes up to fleet admiral one day.

they already added a skill(think its called fleet support) to get a npc ship to help you. but there so much potential in this. all those lower level ships and special retrofits could have a use now. rising trough the ranks of admiral you could get more and more BO captains up to 3 ship at fleet admiral. those 3 ships ofcourse should be captain rank ships and not higher ranked. you can buy equip, train captain and crew like you can do with your own ship. together with more complex ship interior, this could boost STO to a new dimension.

they could even add a multi character controll system like some games have. so you can switch between your ships whenever you want and command them. also you could have some tasks that need you to splitt your fleet and stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-10-2011, 11:17 AM
At that point it's more of an RTS then. Kinda like St: Armada, not that I wouldn't mind something like that as a mini-game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Sorry guys, had seen nothing myself on this one before. It was one of those things that I started
brain-storming at work while on break. Have a feeling though,unless more of the better ideas are
given a chance to come alive, more Borg, longer instances and C-store isnt going to keep players!
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyld45
Sorry guys, had seen nothing myself on this one before. It was one of those things that I started
brain-storming at work while on break. Have a feeling though,unless more of the better ideas are
given a chance to come alive, more Borg, longer instances and C-store isnt going to keep players!
I think my posts might not have been clear. YOU have nothing to be sorry for. It's a fine idea. And such a good idea that it is being considered. And was on their to do list. And might still be on the back burner somewhere.

But the way the forums are utilized makes this information difficult to maintain and/or share.

It's not you man. Not at all.

Kudos on the idea. It's a cool idea and a lot of other players would like to see it happen too. Sorry if anything I posted made it seem otherwise. I'm just grumpy because every couple of days I see threads pop up that ... well ... could really use some better information sharing, like the forums used to be way back when the game was young and they didn't have all of these strange policies enforced in strange ways.

That's all.

Definitely don't want to derail your thread or your idea.

Creative suggestions are much needed for this game and for this community.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJumper1
Admirals do command ships, proof, the last episode of DS9 (which I saw yesterday), Admiral whats his name, Chancellor Martok, and Captain Sisko commanded the battle. Go check again guys, ADMIRALS do indeed command a ship and go in battles.
Your right, especially if you go by US Navy standards. Being a WWII buff, and my two personal
favorites, Admiral Nimitz and Admiral Halsey are fine examples of not just commanding their own
"Wessels", but commanded a whole fleet!