Lt. Commander
# 11
09-11-2011, 02:23 AM
While a show based on the JJ alternate universe might be interesting, I don't think that it could sustain 5-7 full seasons with ersatz versions of the Original Series characters. What I think we really need is to jump to a new era again. Here's an idea of what I'd like to see:

Star Trek Magellan
It is some time in the 2450s-60s, and a new version of Slipstream Drive has finally been developed that will allow a starship to travel at a speed of above ten thousand light years per month for months on end (i.e. about a hundred times the cruising speed of mid-late 24th century ships). This means that intergalactic travel is within the Federation's reach for the first time in its history. As such, Starfleet has commissioned the starship Magellan to lead a small group of ships to explore the Magellanic Clouds, about one year's flight time away. (3-6 ships--enough that they can support each other but few enough that the bridge crews of the rest of the ships can be recurring secondary characters).

Basically, by making the show revolve around the Federation's first exploration of another galaxy, it allows for the "where no one has gone before" and the "far away from home" aspect that was last seen in Voyager. This also distances the show from the "home front" politics between the Federation and its neighbors (thus avoiding much of the extra continuity demands that restricted what could be done in Enterprise ).
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiClari View Post
While a show based on the JJ alternate universe might be interesting, I don't think that it could sustain 5-7 full seasons with ersatz versions of the Original Series characters. What I think we really need is to jump to a new era again. Here's an idea of what I'd like to see:

Star Trek Magellan
It is some time in the 2450s-60s, and a new version of Slipstream Drive has finally been developed that will allow a starship to travel at a speed of above ten thousand light years per month for months on end (i.e. about a hundred times the cruising speed of mid-late 24th century ships). This means that intergalactic travel is within the Federation's reach for the first time in its history. As such, Starfleet has commissioned the starship Magellan to lead a small group of ships to explore the Magellanic Clouds, about one year's flight time away. (3-6 ships--enough that they can support each other but few enough that the bridge crews of the rest of the ships can be recurring secondary characters).

Basically, by making the show revolve around the Federation's first exploration of another galaxy, it allows for the "where no one has gone before" and the "far away from home" aspect that was last seen in Voyager. This also distances the show from the "home front" politics between the Federation and its neighbors (thus avoiding much of the extra continuity demands that restricted what could be done in Enterprise ).
I don't think anyone has mentioned that they want a TV series of JJ's st moive but if he would be directing a ST series in the prime universe then yes.This sounds like a combination of Stargete Universe mixed in the elements of star trek, hmmm I like it. AS long it hs the feel of star trek to it it will be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-11-2011, 02:33 AM
I'm sick of all this timeline plop. If you could go back and forward in time, just think of what a mess things would be. I like Star Trek as in some ways it could be real, until it starts all the travelling in time and alternate reality rubbish.

I liked the last film (2009), but the time line thing was just an annoying part of it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal
I'm sick of all this timeline plop. If you could go back and forward in time, just think of what a mess things would be. I like Star Trek as in some ways it could be real, until it starts all the travelling in time and alternate reality rubbish.

I liked the last film (2009), but the time line thing was just an annoying part of it.
Its was the only to reboot the franchise and to attract a new auidence whille trying to keep the old auidence attracted as well. Alot of franchise last and this decade are doing reboots e.g. spiderman, superman etc.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-18-2011, 06:58 AM
HAs anyone heard anything since this Pitch idea came out on the 24/25 August? Its been over two weeks there must be something since then.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-18-2011, 07:14 AM
I recall one particular Next Gen Storyline lasting 7 years, all-tolled. Whether that was the plan from the beginning I don't know, but it started with humanity on trial by the Q and it ended with humanity being...well, I won't tell in case anyone hasn't seen it.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-18-2011, 07:22 AM
To be honest, I think the reboot was more focussed on getting an ensemble of young, sexy actors and acresses into a Star Trek setting so they could attract a new generation of people just after eye candy.

But then again, you could make some arguments along those lines for TNG and Enterprise.

However I think the key for this sort of franchise is that people really need to stop focussing on contradictions and 'gasp' non-canon issues and sit back and enjoy.

I'll be honest, I really didn't like TOS and (nearing 40) only got into Trek with TNG and then went along for the ride with DS9 and VOY before losing a bit of interest around season 2 of Enterprise. I then got into the books - though I read only relaunch books, not books of episodes (I wonder what the point is).

I'm often frustrated in reading an SCE novel written by a TOS fanboi where they try to adapt events in TOS to the 2380s plus story lines. Peter David has a tendency to do this in his New Frontier novels. I think TOS was popular given the times and how revolutionary it was, but for a 2011 audience it has serious flaws and a lot of the writing and plots were just ridiculous. I mean, you need to remember that Star Trek came out before we'd even landed on the moon or gained an understanding of the universe through Hubble. We should tip our hat to the creators and for what it was, but trying to keep modern Trek stories (written and screen) canon with or consistent with it is just ridiculous.

The same will likely happen with TNG/DS9/VOY etc as technology develops and our experience in space changes. But it doesn't really matter, they were great for their time.

I think STO suffers in this sense as well. If you want to be truly canon, then in the Pocket Books universe the following has happened:

1. The Borg are gone. Not just defeated or sent back to the gamma quadrant, they are 100% gone from the entire universe with no hope of coming back, ever. Seriously, there can never be more borg
2. Before they went they killed 60 billion people (mostly Federation) and planets like Risa and Deneva are gone.

Yet STO seems to have a lot of borg around and you can visit Risa. STO is completely rubbish for canon.

However, does this make it a bad game? No - though you can argue about other items.

I think if you worry about re-boots and canon issues you'll just get upset.

I'd suggest you treat all of STO as just one version of the future, the JJ verse as one version of the past and just enjoy the stories.

But that is just me.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-18-2011, 07:29 AM
I don't think you could make that argument for Next Gen. Roddenberry had always wanted another series after the original (originally planned to be called Star Trek: Phase 2 or something). TNG so nearly didn't make it past the first season. Patrick Stewart has said in interviews he was literally living out of a suitcase for the first six months because everyone thought it was going to fail as it wasn't mainstream enough.

I'll agree on Enterprise though. Shallow, 1-dimensional characters, jumpsuits covered in pockets and never even so much as a good old honest-to-goodness screwdriver sticking out of one - shabby design standards imho, ... hmmm ... what else didn't I like about it (cheesy theme tune notwithstanding) ... No, I think was about it - shallow characters and poor production standards.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-22-2011, 04:14 AM
Anymore news on this, I have looke around google but nothing so someone out there might know something. Its been nearly month, how does it take to decide on this things!?
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Anymore news on this, I have looke around google but nothing so someone out there might know something. Its been nearly month, how does it take to decide on this things!?
Same question. anything new? I have looked but nothig new so i am hoing someone knows?