Lt. Commander
# 21
11-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Quote:
I'd suggest you treat all of STO as just one version of the future, the JJ verse as one version of the past and just enjoy the stories.

Could not agree more! Look I am a "TOS" guy and could spout off about canon all day, but to keep the franchise going I am open to a lot of things. If it looks like Trek, sounds like Trek, and entertains me ln a Trek way - I'm on board. Times change - tech changes and so on and so on. If folks would just sit back and enjoy the ride - think how much happier they could be.

But then as the gentleman said - "That's just me."
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mridentical View Post
So, I'm not a fan of the new Star Trek. BUT, before you start, this isn't another Trek bashing thread.

Instead, I came up with an idea I wanted feedback on.

See, we know that Nero created an alternate timeline. We also know that in that timeline Vulcan was destroyed. My question here is, do Kirk and Spock suddenly grow goaties? ie; is what we're seeing the beginning of the Terran Empire in the Mirror Universe?

I mean think about it - the Vulcans were a stabilizing force in the Federation, lending a sense of logic and calmness which undoubtedly led to the Federation's values on peace and prosperity. WIthout that, or at least with that being diminished, wouldn't the course of history change completely?

Perhaps Kirk's generation rejected those values?

Just a thought
Not only id Enterprise proove that the Mirror universe goes far more back (although it isnt neccecarly the SAME mirror universe in TOS and ENT.... that fact that they got technology 100 years ahead of their time =the Defaint and are STILL on the same tech level then the usual verse is a little odd to me), in the TOS episode were already a lot of facts statet that wouldnt go with the JJ verse... like Kirk murdering Pike to get the Enterprise for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
I can think of several examples where "out of hardship arose tyranny", however, discussing real world politics is not allowed on these forums.

I agree though, the JJ Abrams universe is not the Mirror Universe. If it was, it would have been a complete failure at separating the franchise for Paramount and CBS to both play with the Star Trek title. No one wants to watch a movie series based in the mirror universe. One or two episodes, sure, but that's only because it gives the good guys a chance to act evil.

As it is, the JJ reboot is going to be a hard sell to the American public for more than 3 movies. Especially if CBS picks the title back up with an ongoing TV series set in the "prime" universe. People will see the JJ movies like "well that was a nice experiment, but it's over, that stuff on CBS is the "Real Star Trek".
I hope you are right..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox

JJ verse essentially came along took all the shiney bits from star trek, added some very dramatic (and admitily exciting) plots into the mix, shook it all together and added some lens flair. The result? a slick action film and a good film if viewed in that light. What is the problem with that then?
You did find plots there? Tell me where did they hide it?
Is it an easter egg on the DVD?

No seriously, you want a summary of the JJfilm?
Look at the Stargate episode "200". That--- already much cheaper then Star trek series made a "fun clip" of a Stargate reboot with young actors as a parody of the project that was already in dicussion and became the Abrahams film.
Add lensflare.
Then you have everything the JJ film has to offer. Just funnier.
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Who revived this old thread?
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-25-2011, 01:50 PM
I hope they do get to make this.
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-25-2011, 02:38 PM
I've been hearing that for the 2nd JJ ST that he's been trying to get Benicio Del Toro, as Khan.

And I say KHAN?...KHAN?

Is this the best that JJ and his current group of writers can do is to jump on the ST II-Wrath of Khan
bandwagon, and reinvent KHAN?

Good god man !!!! , you thought Trekkies were ****ed with JJ and the 2009 ST, let him screw up
Khan and things will get way too ugly in Trek fandom universe.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-25-2011, 07:50 PM
When you boil it all down, Gene Roddenberry's vision of trek was about thinking and intelligence. JJ Abrams' version is all action with no brain power needed at all. I call it "Star Trek for Dummies."

It was a good action flick, if you have no desire to attempt to reconcile it with any version of any possible future. Which is pretty much like all of JJ Abrams' projects.

The only redeeming factor is if this prolongs the franchise long enough for more people with intelligence to take over and continue the legacy that GR started.

And that, along with $4, will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
We now know when the next Star Trek movie is coming out (May 2013), but we still don’t know how much it will be tied together with Abrams’ 2009 Star Trek movie. A new comment from producer/director JJ Abrams indicates that the sequel will stand on its own.
http://trekmovie.com/2011/11/23/jj-a...ll-start-over/

I hope the movie never gets made.

Anyways..I thought the time line was changed in Star Trek first contact... with the death of the first warp flight...cochran's crew was killed...They may have helped in the formation and ideals of the federation.

cochran being a drunk .. probadly did a ****** job with out his dead crew mates... they were probadly the ones that did most of the work.... and then you have the time line messed up again that abortion called-star trek enterprise-- they should of kept that as a stargate show or something...or send that guy back to quantum leap..yuck
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS64 View Post
I've been hearing that for the 2nd JJ ST that he's been trying to get Benicio Del Toro, as Khan.

And I say KHAN?...KHAN?

Is this the best that JJ and his current group of writers can do is to jump on the ST II-Wrath of Khan

Good god man !!!! , you thought Trekkies were ****ed with JJ and the 2009 ST, let him screw up
Its a bold move but I think the main reason if these rumors are true that he's trying to cast him as Khan is mainly because of the fact that he got some people who never saw star trek before. The big issue is the large group of fans of the franchise didn't like the movie and some people are outraged over it. So the big bold move on his part is try to follow the original movies more than likely redoing them. Although the series as it was explained that was talked about for a new series takes place in the Prime Universe the one we play in and as it was explained it sounded like its pretty much at the same point and time and same universe as STO. Although I am not sure if the person who proposed this to CBS knew that when they offered it (could be they knew about it and is a tool that Cryptic and this director/producer may be using to inject life and canon into STO which may not be a bad thing).

Although if being its a different universe in JJ's movies I kind would love it if Khan captures and uses one of the STO specific raptor designs to change it up a lil bit (sometimes different is better, its what makes star trek strange new things and the unexpected ).
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-26-2011, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS64 View Post

And I say KHAN?...KHAN?

see the first bit is accurate as he does want Benicio, the second bit is conjecture as his potential role has not been announced.
Lt. Commander
# 30 taking bets now.
11-26-2011, 03:51 AM
Benicio Del Toro comes from the original time line.. and saves the day.. but his evil mirror image.. has somehow followed him.... then at the end of the movie... you see riker and troi turn off the holodeck... and somehow.. captain picard...saves Captain kirk. in star trek generations. and the world is a better place...

The income from such a wonderful movie.. can go to the programming team at Star Trek online..to make the game even better.....