Lt. Commander
# 1 Can I make players lose?
09-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I am creating a series of missions from the KDF point of view that will allow KDF players to play out the course of the war up to this point.

The Battle for Korvat was published this morning, but the second offensive in the war was a Gorn assault on Shermans planet. An assault that failed.

As a new Foundry Author, i am not up to date on tips and tricks and methodologies of how to do certain things with the Foundry tools.

How can I have my players play out an assault on Shermans planet that fails? Is there a way to have an event occur if/when they are defeated? Can I have a hostile fleet warp in and have that event, visible to the player by marker-trigger vicinity method, and have that trigger an end to the mission and kicking them out o the system?

What advice can the community give me?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Story wise.. have them complete X objective which sapwns Y ammount of ships at a distance for the "oh freck" to kick in... story wise.. bla bla bla approaching target... bla bla bla... sir jamie dodger!!!!.. retreat!!!!"
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-10-2011, 03:02 PM
I remember a mission I played that was supposed to be a time loop that happened with your ship getting blown up each time. I believe it involved spawning a nasty number of ships and then secretly setting the objective to reaching the section of space the respawn point was in.

I mean if having the player's ship destroyed doesn't make sense, you could probably make a run like hell objective similarly.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-10-2011, 04:55 PM
You can force your players to retreat via a reach objective marker, or if you want them to die then you can use carefully triggered invisible walls and a respawn point.

Zalzidrax refered to "First Cause, then Effect" by RogueEnterprise. It will probably take some considerable time to work these sort of things out. If you need some help drop by the StarbaseUGC channel on IRC. If you don't know anything about IRC then go [here] and that just be easier.