Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
So... I think a lot of people questioned why Picard had to get Kirk killed to stop Soran. Why he didn't go back in time a few days or even just leave the nexus 20 yards away, already on the launchplatform.

So I was reading the Memory Alpha article on Generations when I noticed this:

Quote:
Regarding some of the oft-mentioned plot discrepancies within the film, Ronald D. Moore commented:

"Our reasoning (and it's admittedly thin) is that Picard didn't want to go back any further in time than absolutely necessary since he knows the extreme dangers of unexpected results from any tampering with the timeline. Okay, it's not much, but there it is." (AOL chat, 1997)
Moore and Braga further elaborated on this during the film's DVD commentary, saying that the question kept coming up and they even asked themselves, "Why would they go back to a point when their life would be in danger? Why not just go back a couple of months or so, find Soran in the bathroom or somewhere and take him out?" They also said that questions like that apply to films like The Terminator and you have to just hope that your film is compelling enough that the audience does not start asking questions like that.
Of all the scenarios I'd imagined, Picard turning up in the bathroom and beating up Soran was about the last thing that ever crossed my mind. Maybe in Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek: Generations.

Also... Man, they really should have gone with Nimoy's script revisions to get him as director. Would have been worth it IMHO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-12-2011, 05:21 AM
All star trek moives should be directed and writtern by star trek actors only or someone who knows alot of star trek.

Edit: Plus scientists.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
All star trek moives should be directed and writtern by star trek actors
Star Trek V.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-12-2011, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Star Trek V.
Which is no longer the worst star trek movie ever made One reason for William Shatner to love JJ Abrams
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-12-2011, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
So... I think a lot of people questioned why Picard had to get Kirk killed to stop Soran. Why he didn't go back in time a few days or even just leave the nexus 20 yards away, already on the launchplatform.
I always assumed that he could go to any time and place he wanted so long as the Nexus was near to his destination.... I tend to tweak explanations to things slightly to make them work better in my mind.

Poor guy though, the actor who played Soran got death threats for that. In interviews, he said he hated killing Kirk. The original plan was to have him shoot Kirk in the back, but they redid it with the whole bridge thing to make it look more exciting. He said it was still rubbish, he hated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvenwing View Post
Which is no longer the worst star trek movie ever made One reason for William Shatner to love JJ Abrams
Zing!
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-12-2011, 06:20 AM
it was almost as bad as the quirky script writer for Nemesis and the Troi sub plot that made for a poor date movie vibe im telling u
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvenwing View Post
Still the only reason Generations is better then Abrahams crap is that it includes original actors and orgiginal (and good looking) ships. The script is as bad as Abrahams.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-12-2011, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Edit: Plus scientists.
I disagree:

Scientist: Let's make this Star Trek 2009 movie... BUT... I have a few changes to the script:

1: The whole "timetravel throug a black hole" wouldn work in real life, so let's get rid of that.
2: No insane lens flares... reallly
3: Red Matter? Really? The Vulcans would have had a name for it... lets get serious.

Oh wait... never mind. xD
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Star Trek V.
Not THAT bad, frankly. It's the best of the lesser Trek movies and, IMHO, the closest to the spirit of TOS. Yeah, Roddenberry didn't like it but he didn't like a lot of TOS (or Wrath of Khan) either. If Roddenberry had his say, NONE of the films after TMP would have counted, DS9 wouldn't have been made, and over a third of TOS would have been ditched, mostly the popular episodes. He was a visionary but I think Trek would have remained an unrealized pipe dream without Gene Coon and DC Fontana and a ton of people who contradicted Roddenberry from day one, refining and testing his vision.

It probably has some of the best cheesy quotes of any Star Trek film.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-12-2011, 06:36 AM
I'd personally rank V above Search for Spock, TMP, Generations, Insurrection, and Nemesis. And about 3/4ths of TOS.