Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
09-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Star Trek V.
Is it bad that I actually sorta like V? It's right in there with some of the other campy movies that I enjoy like Abraxas, Slipstream and Android. It's not the worst one anymore, either. V ranks above Trek 09, Generations, Insurrection and Nemesis on my list of favorite Trek movies.

As far as killing Soran in a bathroom. I would have actually rather have seen that. It would be unexpected, and a little shocking. Maybe throw in a shootout ala True Lies in there, some bathroom puns? Though, I am not sure I would be so thrilled with the idea of Captain Kirk dying in a bathroom.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
I am amazed How it Should Have Ended hasn't done one on ST:Generations

"They've found a way to penetrate our shields!"
"...Fire?"
"Shouldn't we debate a way to exploit a-"
"Dont make me ask twice"
*Bird of Prey explodes under deluge of fire from Galaxy class*
*Data fist-pumps* "YES!"
"Damage report?"
"...Hull breach on deck 25... No casualties. All stations secure."

*five seconds later*

"Picard to Enterprise"
"Go ahead, Captain"
"Lock on to my combadge, and fire a full torpedo spread. One to beam up"

*CREDIT ROLL*
Picards didnt even have his combadge.
Also: Why so violent?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_5h0BRO5O4
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Thinking of Generations with a more common sense approach is easy enough - why didn't Picard go back to the very moment he met Soran on the Enterprise in Ten Forward? He would have been able to have Soran detained in the brig until the Nexus has passed and been ready for the Dura's sisters.

But I guess that would have robbed the chance of killing Kirk - yes, he's dead, he won't be doing a Borg indued resurrection and becoming some all important God of all like he is in those terrible beyond words Shatner books - and giving us that very nicely done destruction of the Enterprise-D.

Despite it's flaws I still find Generations more enjoyable than the recent movie, and more enjoyable than Trek 5.
And I love the music theme for Generations.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina View Post
Thinking of Generations with a more common sense approach is easy enough - why didn't Picard go back to the very moment he met Soran on the Enterprise in Ten Forward? He would have been able to have Soran detained in the brig until the Nexus has passed and been ready for the Dura's sisters.
Problem with this is he would have been detaining a civilian without evidence. Just because he'd been to the future and had seen evidence, nobody else did. He could have convinced his crew who've seen him do the same thing several times, but ultimately Soran would have walked free because the evidence against him can be summed thusly: "Picard said so." "How does Picard know?" "He violated the temporal prime directive."

Picard was much less fast and loose with the rules than the other title captains. He had to take down Soran between evidence coming to light and firing the weapon, which didn't leave him a whole lot of opportunity.

I think Picard was fairly justified in his decision of how to take down Soran... Now, Riker, running around looking for ideas while ignoring the fact that he was in command of a ship that qualifies as a doomsday weapon? That's another thing.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Riker never should have been left in command of the Enterprise. He fired one single shot at the Dura's sister's and then one torpedo, people blame Troi for the ship's destruction when the rela blame falls to Riker who should have kept firing. A bird of prey against a galaxy class is a little like a kitten against a tiger.
Even with them being able to fire through the shields, he should have ordered Worf to keep firing in order to drain their shields.

But instead he just ordered two firing attempts, one failed, one succeeded.

As for not believing Picard, Picard is the captain, the captain's word is considered and he would have been able to provide proof on the station as well as in the Veridian system.
Even Guinian would have provided proof that Soran was intending on killing millions and Troi would only have to read Soran's emotions to know that he is deeply distraught and unstable in his determination to enter the Nexus.
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Well I suppose you should look at my post right before yours... especially that youtube link..

Quote:
Riker never should have been left in command of the Enterprise.....
Yeah... bad Idea.... I mean Riker just had that minor position of the first officer.... leaving him in command doesnt make sense at all

Quote:
As for not believing Picard, Picard is the captain, the captain's word is considered and he would have been able to provide proof on the station as well as in the Veridian system.
Even Guinian would have provided proof that Soran was intending on killing millions and Troi would only have to read Soran's emotions to know that he is deeply distraught and unstable in his determination to enter the Nexus.
Actually it wasnt Picard.
It was a changeling that was send to infiltrate the fedaration and went mad.
Its the only way I can explain A LOT of Picards reactions during the TNG movies.

I mean... Nemesis....
the whole Earth is at risk to be erased by a Tholaron weapon... the Enterprise almost destroyed... and ONE person can beam over to the scimitar. Who do we send?
- Worf, Dominon war veteran, Klingon warier, experienced in hand to hand combat?
- Data, "super"-android, superior to ANY beeing of flesh and blood in strenth and agility?
- a nuclear warhead?
No, the great Picard, an old man, prefers to go because of... personal issues...

Insurection?
Not long before Picard wantet to FORCE federation colonists because of a silly treaty with the Cardassians. And now.... because of another treaty... the federation attempts to evactuate a small number of Bakku (whose didnt evolve on that planet too) to get something that will help MILLIONS to survive... in the middle of a war that might be the end of the federation and where the medication is desperatly needet...
..the GREAT DIPLOMAT Jean Luc Picard graps a Rifle and starts to shoot stuff. To help the Bakku to prevent their unnatural immortalits. The same Bakku that banned their own ppl becau THEY though diffrently... but since those banned look ugly and evil now that must be all right...

The movie Picard had nothing in common with the series-picard beside beeing played by the same actor.
And that stupidity-desease was neither limitet to Generations nor inventet by Abrahams (it just got much worst there)
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
Picards didnt even have his combadge.
...Soo.... Scan for trilithium signatures? I always found the claim they had no idea where the launch site was to be incredible considering they've managed to detect the platinum in a crashed pilot's insignia from high orbit. (Season 1, people...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
Also: Why so violent?
...Because all pretension aside, there is nothing Trek fans like more than seeing the Enterprise beat the living snot out of a snooty Klingon bird of prey that's trying to beat up the Hero.
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Hollywood, common sense, intellect and logic have never existed. These days it's all about catering to the dim witted who want lots of action without having to think about what's going on.

The day a movie has any logic will be the day that reality TV is abolished, and that isn't likely to happen.
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Quote:
...Soo.... Scan for trilithium signatures? I always found the claim they had no idea where the launch site was to be incredible considering they've managed to detect the platinum in a crashed pilot's insignia from high orbit. (Season 1, people...)
Jeah but there was a *insert technobable* that jamed the sensors....

Quote:
...Because all pretension aside, there is nothing Trek fans like more than seeing the Enterprise beat the living snot out of a snooty Klingon bird of prey that's trying to beat up the Hero.
Does the youtube link not work?

Oh but If you like it violent; that one isnt bad too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOQL3fbRCmE&NR=1

or That one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-LnE...eature=related
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Q once did an epidsode of 'what if' with picard.

'What if' he had not been stabbed in the heart. We saw it had a dramatic outcome on his life, to the point he was no longer the same person.

'What if' Picard had chosen to go back further than he did?

I would imagine Picard remembered this lesson, and chose not to delve too deeply or meddle too much.

'Generations' was a steaming pile of crap. Picards logic however, was impeccable.