Lt. Commander
# 1 Idea - Oberth Retrofit
09-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Just an idea I had after watching a certain TNG episode.

What if they made an Oberth Retrofit out of the Pegasus with a Phase Cloak science console?

Phase cloak = say 30s recharge, 5s activation delay, extra stealthy cloak that also makes you immune to AOE things that would typically decloak you.

I dunno, maybe it's a crazy idea, but I'd buy it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Alot would likely buy it but lets remember:

1: (and most importantly) Everyone who has tried to build a phase cloak, has failed... The Federation Lost the Oberth, the Romulan almost lost a ship, and the klingons... well... we dont know why they stopped, but we knew they did.

2: The Pegasus was merely a platform for testing... Had the cloak been a sucess, it would not likely have been installed on such a weak ship.

Oh... and for the future... lets not get into the Treaty of Algeron... that went out the window with the Galaxy X and the Defiant Retrofit.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-12-2011, 07:20 AM
The Phase Cloak failed because of the mutiny.

Theoretically, Starfleet could have used the device again to recover Pegasus, and it worked just fine on Enterprise.

Phase Cloak for the win!
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblinian View Post
The Phase Cloak failed because of the mutiny.

Theoretically, Starfleet could have used the device again to recover Pegasus, and it worked just fine on Enterprise.

Phase Cloak for the win!
No... A muteny dosent cause a technical error, or having the ship appear inside an asteroid... You don't think they would Muteny, fly around, and then decide to "decloak" inside an asteroid do you?

Quote:
Laforge: "Commander: We've routed the impulse engines through the plasma conduits, but you're gonna have to watch the inter-cooler levels, if they get too hot, we'll blow the entire relay-system"

(Riker over comm: "understood")

(on the bridge) Riker: "I think that's what happend 12 years ago. The Cloak blew out the plasma relays in the Pegasus, after we left the ship..."
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-12-2011, 07:49 AM
So, instead of having a long activation time, give it a limited activation time. oO it comes on almost as quickly as a regular cloak, has a 30s recharge, but can only be active for, say, 1min, then it shuts off automatically.

As to the failure of the Pegasus, the ship itself was some distance from where Riker & the Admiral abandoned ship. (otherwise it would have been easier to find) I was always under the impression that the ship continued to function for some time after the mutiny, but none of the remaining crew knew how to operate the cloak properly, so it eventually failed inside the asteroid.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-12-2011, 07:51 AM
no, just no.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feor View Post
Just an idea I had after watching a certain TNG episode.

What if they made an Oberth Retrofit out of the Pegasus with a Phase Cloak science console?

Phase cloak = say 30s recharge, 5s activation delay, extra stealthy cloak that also makes you immune to AOE things that would typically decloak you.

I dunno, maybe it's a crazy idea, but I'd buy it.
Would be cool to have a phased cloaking device. Maybe not on an oberth tho its kinda out dated... maybe on some new cryptic designed ship? I could see the phased cloak with: 1 Min 30 sec cool down. 1 Min on time limit. complete resistance to all damage, but you cant use any abilatys. If you de-cloak inside another object it kills your ship.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Oh... and for the future... lets not get into the Treaty of Algeron... that went out the window with the Galaxy X and the Defiant Retrofit.
I've actually wondered about this... The Defiant was a special case due to the Dominion War, and let's not forget that in the beginning the Defiant had a Romulan Tactical Officer/Observer assigned to it.

That being said, there isn't much said about the cloak after DS9 ends. The only other time we see the Defiant is in First Contact, when the cloak isn't being used or mentioned.

The Galaxy-X had a cloak because in the alternate time-line, the Romulans had been conquered by the Klingons, and the Klingons and the Federation were at war. That would have nullified the Treaty of Algeron in that time-line, but not ours.

So, did Hobus nullify the treaty for our universe, or are the ships just oversights for the fanbase?
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Phase cloaks are cool, but they don't really fit in StarFleet's theme. If we ever get a romulan faction it'd be a good addition to help define them as the 'sneaky' faction.

A better question I suppose is "What would you phase through that would give you an advantage?"
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-12-2011, 08:40 AM
How about just make the Phase Cloak a universal console that way we can adapt it on other science ships only.