Lt. Commander
# 1 Diplomatic Immunity question
08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
The space power Diplomatic Immunity granted by gaining ranks as a diplomat is a little confusing.

It allows you to grant an allied player a liitle boost when flying through sector space (warp buff, hostile encounter immunity). However....

Does it give you, the diplomat, this ability as a (hidden) always on power?

If it doesn't, (the description makes no mention of it) WHY can't you target yourself and use this on yourself? Bug or oversight?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I wondered this myself... I don't have it yet, but as described, this power seems pointless to me.

Maybe its usefulness will become clear when I have get it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
As far as I can tell it is an "ally only" power. You do not get any effect from using it on someone else.

I have had other Envoy+ people put the buff on me as well but I did not see much of a speed increase if any.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I did a little experimenting last night and apparently the 'immunity' part of this power IS working for the owner as well (albeit hidden).

To get an ememy contact to notice me I had to physically hit the ship icon with mey ship while in sector space. Seems to me in the past I only had to get close to them for them to 'suck me in'.

As for the speed increase- I couldn't tell any difference. But maybe the 'buff' is really tiny.

It sure would be nice if the description of this power inclued the effect OR non-effect on the owner.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Hunter View Post
...To get an ememy contact to notice me I had to physically hit the ship icon with mey ship while in sector space. Seems to me in the past I only had to get close to them for them to 'suck me in'...
It also depends what your level difference is... If you're several levels above the ESD enemies, they won't touch you. So that could be normal if you've recently been promotoed. (??)

So far the only use for this that my fleetmate has found is as a "party gag" - He randomly targets strangers as they fly through space and we all laugh as suddenly they go zooming off at an increased spead. We imagine what must be going through their mind when that hapens.

Lt. Commander
# 6
08-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
It also depends what your level difference is... If you're several levels above the ESD enemies, they won't touch you. So that could be normal if you've recently been promotoed. (??)
You know you're absolutely right.

Got away from Sector 001 (Earth area) and went toward the Zenas Expanse in Cardassian space (as a Captain) - sure enough just got close to an Enemy Contact and wham! - straight into firefight - then destroyed within seconds (gotta love the mobs camping the spawn point!!!!!)

So looks like Diplomatic Immunity is worthless for the diplomat himself. lol!
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Quote:
You know you're absolutely right...
Yes, of course I am. It's a gift a burden, but I manage to somehow get through.

LOL :p

Quote:
...So looks like Diplomatic Immunity is worthless for the diplomat himself. lol!
Which really makes no sense, when you consider the whole point of DI in real life is to protect the Diplomat from persecution in the land he's visiting. It usually applies to not only the Diplomat, but his whole staff/embassy.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-07-2010, 02:29 AM
Quote:
You know you're absolutely right.

Got away from Sector 001 (Earth area) and went toward the Zenas Expanse in Cardassian space (as a Captain) - sure enough just got close to an Enemy Contact and wham! - straight into firefight - then destroyed within seconds (gotta love the mobs camping the spawn point!!!!!)

So looks like Diplomatic Immunity is worthless for the diplomat himself. lol!
Diplomatic Immunity is supposed to prevent you from having those Sector Mobs drag you into the Encounters. Not make you immune to attacks in the instances. :p

It's an interesting skill, but by the time players get them, well it's sort of useless other than buffing Tier 1s and 2s at Hubs.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Diplomatic Immunity is supposed to prevent you from having those Sector Mobs drag you into the Encounters.
Precisely.

In my case (see the example above) I just got near the enemy contract in sector space and was sucked straight into combat. Shouldn't this power (DI), change the game mechanic automatically so that regardless of your military rank (level), your diplomatic status turns all such events into the "talk to this encounter" dialog box pop-up option?

Right now Diplomatic Immunity is borked - the owner (aka Diplomat) can't even use it on himself, let alone having it as an 'always on' feature.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Again, this is just dumb.

As pointed out up thread the Diplomat is the one who should get Diplomatic Immunity!

It is nice I can give it to others, but first and foremost should be the Diplomat who get it for god's sake.
Closed Thread