Lt. Commander
# 31
09-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Heretic, I believe one of the many solutions that could be employed rather quickly with Scrambled Sensors is changing the confusion from "Everyone appears Friendly" to "Everyone appears enemy except myself" and removing the "Force change my target". By doing this, I think most of the mis-fire and inability to heal/clean one self can be fixed while giving the power more of a 'team buster' effect in PvP while maintaining its desired effects in PvE.

I'm sure there are other things that can be tweaked to bring that power into balance, but I think implementing this would at least elevate a good amount of the over powered effect from it.
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
The delay with Scramble Sensors activating was a bug that caused the power to operate inconsistently with other powers, ergo the fix.

That being said, we are reviewing several powers with an eye towards moderating their issues in PvP, including both potentially overpowered (Scramble Sensors, Tactical Team) and underpowered (Boarding Party) abilities.

We are aware that many in the PvP community feel diserviced; there are innumerable reasons for this sentiment, some of them entirely legitimate. That being said, neither I nor anyone else on the team can change the past.

What I will do, however, is be open to any constructive feedback, all of which will be read, taken into consideration and where appropriate acted upon.
Scramble and Tac Team are not potentially overpowered... they are >.<

Speaking of powers not operating consistently with other powers... why does Tac team have a 10 second duration ?

Oh and Boarding Party is very effective.... well it would be if tac team didn't last for 10 seconds >.< LOL

I am still here so it seems obvious I would be among those willing to give you guys another chance to show some honest movement forward with PvP.... geez thou you guy are making it really really hard. Bugged or not this makes an already game breaking ability even worse. Seriously come do some PvP... Play against a team that has 2 sci ships with a couple copies of SS each... and explain to me why anyone would ever want to willingly sign up for that much fun.

EDIT - Just to be clear I mean it when I say game breaking... I understand it can be countered by good teams... if I have a couple of my friends around SS is not a big deal. However it is so unfun that yes it is game breaking. I can PM you 3 handles that all UNSUBBED in the last month an a half if you like they would be willing to explain too you the effect SS had on their decisions. (I am trying hard to be nice... thanks for posting here btw)
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Quote:
The delay with Scramble Sensors activating was a bug that caused the power to operate inconsistently with other powers in the game, ergo the bug fix.

That being said, we are reviewing several powers with an eye towards moderating their issues in PvP, including both potentially overpowered (Scramble Sensors, Tactical Team) and underpowered (Boarding Party) abilities.

We are aware that many in the PvP community feel diserviced; there are innumerable reasons for this sentiment, some of them entirely legitimate. That being said, neither I nor anyone else on the team can change the past.

What I will do, however, is be open to any constructive feedback, all of which will be read, taken into consideration and where appropriate acted upon.
Don't worry I'll keep this reply civil. Hi Heretic. How's it going?

1. Is this "fix/buff" to scram sensors really needed before you finished analyzing and tweaking the power itself?

2. Do you guys listen to feedback during and after a power change?

3. What will Cryptic DO in terms of changing its perception amongst the PvP crowd? Over 600 days with no real addition to PvP and some of us are still around. We can wait, but what are some things Cryptic can do in order to have better communication with us?
Lt. Commander
# 34
09-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Hold on here, people. The scramble fix does not remove the travel time from the probe. There is still time to see the probe and hit science team.

Does SS suck? Yeah, but a bug is a bug, and the travel time is STILL there.
Lt. Commander
# 35
09-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Hold on here, people. The scramble fix does not remove the travel time from the probe. There is still time to see the probe and hit science team.

Does SS suck? Yeah, but a bug is a bug, and the travel time is STILL there.
Hardly the point....

It needed a buff ?

This proves too you that Cryptic cares to balance PvP ?
Lt. Commander
# 36
09-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Well then in that case I strongly suggest that you take a look at this thread for many of the community's ideas for balance and changes to the game:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=228167
Lt. Commander
# 37
09-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
Hardly the point....

It needed a buff ?

This proves too you that Cryptic cares to balance PvP ?

I'm aware its silly, but when it is a bug like that, it needs to be fixed sometime. Whenever scramble 2.0 comes out, it would be better to have this little bug fixed first. Otherwise they would forget about it.

I mean come on, scramble sensors has remained virtually unchanged since release and they are just now fixing the weird activation delay.

It really doesn't change a whole lot, either way. Either you are fast enough to hit science team early or you are not and you get scrambled. Besides I thought people agreed to stop using SS because it was OP.
Lt. Commander
# 38
09-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
The delay with Scramble Sensors activating was a bug that caused the power to operate inconsistently with other powers in the game, ergo the bug fix.

Heretic, I think one big solution however many months it would probally take because I understand that it would be a big undertaking to do. Is doing what was done with skills like Stasis Field for ground pvp and setting up different skill stats and some ship abilities so that those who feel something is OP in pvp can be regulated where it doesn't diminish or totally keep some things from being fun to use in PvE. I just figured it would be a good way to regulate the Over Powered vs the Under powered to balance them as balanced skills across the board no matter what you are doing.
Lt. Commander
# 39
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus
Heretic, I think one big solution however many months it would probally take because I understand that it would be a big undertaking to do.
If this section of the forums could have as much feedback as other forums, it would be a BIG solution that's not a big undertaking.

Just a simple official list of:
1. What's in store for PvP
2. What powers are in the list of being analyzed
3. Brief acknowledgement of some of the feedback

A cryptic employee's just publicly acknowledge that PvP'ers have a generally poor perception of Cryptic. Now, what can they do to alter that?

EDIT:

Bottom line is that Cryptic doesn't want to keep an open and continuous rapport with the community. They just occasionally pop in after there's a heated discussion about a power change that came out of the blue.
Lt. Commander
# 40
09-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus
Heretic, I think one big solution however many months it would probally take because I understand that it would be a big undertaking to do. Is doing what was done with skills like Stasis Field for ground pvp and setting up different skill stats and some ship abilities so that those who feel something is OP in pvp can be regulated where it doesn't diminish or totally keep some things from being fun to use in PvE. I just figured it would be a good way to regulate the Over Powered vs the Under powered to balance them as balanced skills across the board no matter what you are doing.
Others have suggested just that... I would say its a bad idea to be honest.

PvE in this game is easy beyond easy.

Its boring to almost any serious gamer that has ever logged in.

Believe it or not (most don't) I do a ton of PvE raids and such in other games. I have talked to so many people that have played STO and left after a month or two from sheer boredom. Not because the content was lacking (Well perhaps in some cases) mostly because the content was just too easy.

Some of the dumb OP skills we deal with in PvP are just as OP in PvE land... I mean seriously a skill that makes all your PvE enemies stop shooting at you for 30 seconds and on top of that they shoot at each other ??? come on that is just out of line.

Its balance like that in general that makes this game unfun. The only way to enjoy the PvE in this game is to literally do it in lower tier ships... or to remove half your boffs on purpose... even then its not much work.

The difficulty slider was a step in the right direction... it just didn't intro enough variety in the enemy AI.... the AI is as dumb no matter the setting... they just get enhanced skills and some more Hit Points.

Cryptic in my view needs to reduce the effectiveness of many of the games skills.... yes it would make PvE harder... no that is not a bad thing.

Role players can still put it on easy mode... and go a bit slower through their pve missions. They will be fine I am sure.