Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
It doesn't matters, since they are all phaser cannons.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
09-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
Defiant class, DHCs and turrets atm, all phasers. I've heard to go with either the Prefire Chamber or the Phaser Relay on many occasions, and I'm always told that X is better than Y on any given occasion. Anyone have any feed back? Currently I'm running Prefire Chambers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
So should I base my + Damage on my Energy type, or my weapon type? +Damage to Phaser weapons, or +Damage to Cannons? Right now I've got the +26 Prefire Chambers x3 on my Defiant. Would I benefit more from going +26 Phasers instead?
DHCs and Turrets atm, Phasers.

You can go for both 4x Prefires or 4x Phaser relays. The dmg difference doesnt matter.
The only thing you can consider is that if you would later choose to go with, lets say, 3x DHC and a DBB, and 3 turrets, all phaser, if you would have phaser relays, you wouldnt have to change to phaser relays.

If you later would decide to go for 4x DHC + 3 turrets but as a disruptor energy type, you could stay with your Prefires. thats how it works.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
09-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctraider View Post
DHCs and Turrets atm, Phasers.

You can go for both 4x Prefires or 4x Phaser relays. The dmg difference doesnt matter.
The only thing you can consider is that if you would later choose to go with, lets say, 3x DHC and a DBB, and 3 turrets, all phaser, if you would have phaser relays, you wouldnt have to change to phaser relays.

If you later would decide to go for 4x DHC + 3 turrets but as a disruptor energy type, you could stay with your Prefires. thats how it works.
Thanks for the feed back guys. It's greatly appreciated
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
09-13-2011, 01:54 PM
if you had to go those things which give plus 26 will the double you damage power, 52?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
09-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo80 View Post
No, they stack. Only percentage based consoles have diminishing returns.
That isn't really true. Strictly speaking no console has diminishing returns. If it says it gives +20, it gives +20, whether its the first console of its type or the fourth. The only issue comes in certain after the fact calculations that makes it seem like you aren't getting the full effect, and as far as I know this only applies to armor consoles. But even for armor, you still get the full value of each console added into the equation.
Ensign
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
# 16
08-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Sorry to resurrect old threads, but am I right in thinking if your running all phaser turrets your better off with phaser relays over prefire chambers, ie a mk xi green phaser relay gives 24.4% phaser damage where as a blue mk xi prefire chamber only gives 17.5% cannon damage, so unless your running a rainbow ship(which is pointless) then the relays are a much better addition.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 321
# 17
08-14-2012, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejayuk1 View Post
Sorry to resurrect old threads, but am I right in thinking if your running all phaser turrets your better off with phaser relays over prefire chambers, ie a mk xi green phaser relay gives 24.4% phaser damage where as a blue mk xi prefire chamber only gives 17.5% cannon damage, so unless your running a rainbow ship(which is pointless) then the relays are a much better addition.
Yeah, energy specific consoles such as Phaser Relays are better than Prefire Chambers. It's fairly obvious looking at the percentages, so fill your Tac console spaces with Phaser Relays. That's why rainbow ships are considered a sign of noobishness (other than on a Torpedo built that just uses a couple of beams and all its consoles boost the torp damage), they're giving away damage for no reason other than to have pretty colours.

I can't remember the evolution of weaponry in this game exactly, (probably because I took a break from STO around the time of this thread) but I believe at the time these posts were made, the Prefire Consoles had the same boost as energy-specific consoles, but it was offset by the fact that the skill tree had energy specific skills, which aren't there anymore. You'd have to spec in to phasers or disruptors or whatever. So it was still best practice to use one energy type.

Rainbowing/Skittling has always been a sub-optimal option in this game.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 346
# 18
08-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Phaser Relays.


Anything that stacks additively has "diminishing returns", no matter what: you gain less going from 200 to 215 (7.5% increase) than from 100 to 115 (15% increase), even though it's always +15.

Last edited by quiscustodiet; 08-14-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,335
# 19
08-14-2012, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiscustodiet View Post
Phaser Relays.


Anything that stacks additively has "diminishing returns", no matter what: you gain less going from 200 to 215 (7.5% increase) than from 100 to 115 (+15 increase), even though it's always +15.

Just stop. Diminishing returns has a specific meaning and that's not it. I do realize you meant to type 15% and not just +15 in your second example.

The actual output of the consoles doesn't decrease so there are no diminishing returns built into the calculations. They return the same value each time. Get it? Not diminished. Equal. The same.

If the first console gave an output of x, and the second console gave x-1, you would have diminishing returns.

And putting it in quotation marks doesn't change anything. It is still incorrect.
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,375
# 20
08-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejayuk1 View Post
Sorry to resurrect old threads, but am I right in thinking if your running all phaser turrets your better off with phaser relays over prefire chambers, ie a mk xi green phaser relay gives 24.4% phaser damage where as a blue mk xi prefire chamber only gives 17.5% cannon damage, so unless your running a rainbow ship(which is pointless) then the relays are a much better addition.
Why did you ressurect this thread?

There is a rule against ressurecting a thread older than 30 days... for some reason.

Rainbow boats don't do as much DPS as a boat with one Energy type and the corresponding consoles.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09 PM.