Lt. Commander
# 1 Lessons Star Trek taught me
09-13-2011, 07:58 AM
It's simple really. Share something you have learned from an episode, movie or perhaps even a book. Something that has stuck with you since seeing it.

I for one learned a great deal about moral responsibility. Just because can do do a thing doesn't mean we must to that thing. It's one of the many little tidbits of information that has stuck with me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-13-2011, 08:08 AM
I learned that you really *can* solve any problem with the proper, precise, vaugely moral, but most of all bad-a** application of force.

Learned from; every episode with Ben Sisko.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Not an easy thing to do.
I have learned so much from Star Trek.
But the first is obvious. English.
Since foreign TV shows where subtitled in portuguese most of my generation started to "learn" english from them. And TOS was a regular rerun some of my first english words where: "Fascinating", "He is dead Jim", "Hailing frequencies open" and so on...
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abreu View Post
Not an easy thing to do.
Since foreign TV shows where subtitled in portuguese most of my generation started to "learn" english from them. And TOS was a regular rerun some of my first english words where: "Fascinating", "He is dead Jim", "Hailing frequencies open" and so on...
That's wonderful. I have a friend who lives in Mexico and I helped her learn english while watching trek with her. It was her goal to know enough to watch all of it without the spanish dubs or subtitles.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallex
That's wonderful. I have a friend who lives in Mexico and I helped her learn english while watching trek with her. It was her goal to know enough to watch all of it without the spanish dubs or subtitles.
One good thing of subtitles over dubbing is that you keep to listen the original voices.
I recall a few years back when in Spain there was Die Hard 3 on the TV and I couldnt stop laughing because of the voice from "spanish" John McClane
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-13-2011, 08:23 AM
When your bosses tell you not to go somewhere....... Go anyway!
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abreu View Post
Not an easy thing to do.
Thats awesome!

Sounds like you had much more fun learning another language than I did when I tried to learn Spanish (and failed miserably)
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-13-2011, 08:30 AM
I learned that humanity no matter how advanced we seem to get are still only human. Flawed and living beings no matter what.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Star Trek taught me to have hope that things may improve, hopefully and that the human race may one day learn to get over themselves, stop killing one another over meaningless nonsense and begin working together as a unified whole while promoting intellect, compassion and acceptance.

It also taught me that being intelligent is a good thing, instead of being some mindless idiot who only cares about making life miserable for everyone else.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallex
I learned that humanity no matter how advanced we seem to get are still only human. Flawed and living beings no matter what.
I wish more people here remembered this about Cryptic's efforts (and successes) to improve STO!