Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Lessons Star Trek taught me
09-13-2011, 07:58 AM
It's simple really. Share something you have learned from an episode, movie or perhaps even a book. Something that has stuck with you since seeing it.

I for one learned a great deal about moral responsibility. Just because can do do a thing doesn't mean we must to that thing. It's one of the many little tidbits of information that has stuck with me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
09-13-2011, 08:08 AM
I learned that you really *can* solve any problem with the proper, precise, vaugely moral, but most of all bad-a** application of force.

Learned from; every episode with Ben Sisko.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
09-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Not an easy thing to do.
I have learned so much from Star Trek.
But the first is obvious. English.
Since foreign TV shows where subtitled in portuguese most of my generation started to "learn" english from them. And TOS was a regular rerun some of my first english words where: "Fascinating", "He is dead Jim", "Hailing frequencies open" and so on...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
09-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abreu View Post
Not an easy thing to do.
I have learned so much from Star Trek.
But the first is obvious. English.
Since foreign TV shows where subtitled in portuguese most of my generation started to "learn" english from them. And TOS was a regular rerun some of my first english words where: "Fascinating", "He is dead Jim", "Hailing frequencies open" and so on...
That's wonderful. I have a friend who lives in Mexico and I helped her learn english while watching trek with her. It was her goal to know enough to watch all of it without the spanish dubs or subtitles.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
09-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallex
That's wonderful. I have a friend who lives in Mexico and I helped her learn english while watching trek with her. It was her goal to know enough to watch all of it without the spanish dubs or subtitles.
One good thing of subtitles over dubbing is that you keep to listen the original voices.
I recall a few years back when in Spain there was Die Hard 3 on the TV and I couldnt stop laughing because of the voice from "spanish" John McClane
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
09-13-2011, 08:23 AM
When your bosses tell you not to go somewhere....... Go anyway!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
09-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abreu View Post
Not an easy thing to do.
I have learned so much from Star Trek.
But the first is obvious. English.
Since foreign TV shows where subtitled in portuguese most of my generation started to "learn" english from them. And TOS was a regular rerun some of my first english words where: "Fascinating", "He is dead Jim", "Hailing frequencies open" and so on...
Thats awesome!

Sounds like you had much more fun learning another language than I did when I tried to learn Spanish (and failed miserably)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
09-13-2011, 08:30 AM
I learned that humanity no matter how advanced we seem to get are still only human. Flawed and living beings no matter what.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
09-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Star Trek taught me to have hope that things may improve, hopefully and that the human race may one day learn to get over themselves, stop killing one another over meaningless nonsense and begin working together as a unified whole while promoting intellect, compassion and acceptance.

It also taught me that being intelligent is a good thing, instead of being some mindless idiot who only cares about making life miserable for everyone else.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
09-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallex
I learned that humanity no matter how advanced we seem to get are still only human. Flawed and living beings no matter what.
I wish more people here remembered this about Cryptic's efforts (and successes) to improve STO!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 AM.