Lt. Commander
# 1 what is wrong with this game?
09-13-2011, 08:14 PM
There are so many bugs, the community in-game is socially dead, and the enemy automatically regenerates it's health instantly when you move out of firing range? Not to mention they can "Turbo boost" away from you going at speeds that, i'm sorry, are impossible for a human player to ever achieve.

I hate being this guy, but I gave it a shot despite all of it's negative reviews and not even being a remote fan of star trek gave me the ability to give it an unbiased opinion and here it is.

Space combat: Fun as hell, but broken.
Ground combat: Is it even worth mentioning?
Weapon/Armour variety: What variety? lvls I - X? pfft.
Missions: No REAL variations. Purely story with game play feeling like nothing more than a filling. Kill this many squads, access this terminal, fly to this sector, etc.
Ships: Awesome variations but requires little effort to obtain them and the most of simply handed to you for ranking up, while the rest are generally only available via the item mall.

All in all: 4/10

If the game were to be free, I'd recommend it. But at $14/month I'd rather just continue paying for Xbox LIVE.

But to everyone who enjoys it, kudos. Happy hunting.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Good news, everybody. The game is going F2P by year's end. Check out the Matrix on the main page to see what you get.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowzSan View Post
If the game were to be free, I'd recommend it. But at $14/month I'd rather just continue paying for Xbox LIVE.

But to everyone who enjoys it, kudos. Happy hunting.
Had you bothered reading the website or the 100's of posts you would be aware that STO is going to be free to play.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Have fun, I use my 360 for watching Netflix n that's about it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-14-2011, 08:32 AM
He joined last month and most of his complaints are either inaccurate or outright false (since when do enemy ships "turbo" away from you? A few use evasive manuevers, but that's it).

He's either complaining about things he hasn't taken the time to actually research, or he's a troll. I'm gonna lean towards the latter.

Don't feed the troll, folks.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-14-2011, 08:36 AM
????? community dead? Ha!!! So may topics opened in the last 2 weeks. C'mon what website are you really visiting?
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-14-2011, 10:26 AM
He was refering to the "in game" community. And...it's dead as a doornail. Or, to be more fair, there isn't one. This is the lonliest, most solo "MMO" I ever played.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhausen
He was refering to the "in game" community. And...it's dead as a doornail. Or, to be more fair, there isn't one. This is the lonliest, most solo "MMO" I ever played.
QFT - The fleet I am currently in for example. There's no fleet "actions", everyone just goes it alone. Once I helped a lower level player rank up by accompanying him on missions. He was genuinely surprised. Paraphrasing his view he thought everyone else was flying around was an NPC when he first started.

I used to be in this excellent fleet Gods of War I think it was called. It was awesome - whilst it lasted. People dropped out of favor with the game, bugs, not being listened to, the leader had enough and boycotted it. Think he may have went back to another MMO. Everyone else either left, joined other fleets or just went it alone.

It was a real shame really. We all connected both as playing the game and personally. It's difficult to explain but genuinely I looked up to the fleet leader and had a connection to the fleet. Alas no more :\

I am hoping that when the game does go F2P it will entise new / old people to play again. There I go again hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
I normally do not break down posts and comment like this, I will make an exception here however since I see so many erroneous assumptions and statements.

Quote:
There are so many bugs,
There is a Bug Report Feature and a Bug Reporting Forum. I'd suggest using them. Yes, this game has numerous bugs. So does every other MMO out there. This statement can be said about any MMO, so doesn't hold much weight.

Quote:
the community in-game is socially dead,
This is a matter of perspective and where you place yourself in the "Community." However, this might be the only real valid point to your post as there does need to be more focus placed on Community Interaction and Ideals.

Quote:
and the enemy automatically regenerates it's health instantly when you move out of firing range? Not to mention they can "Turbo boost" away from you going at speeds that, i'm sorry, are impossible for a human player to ever achieve.
I have never seen this nor seen any topics about this. I am not saying there aren't any. Just that if this was such a horrible issue, as your post seems to proclaim, I am quite sure the forums would be rife with similar reports. Regardless, if this does happen to you, you need to Bug Report it.

Quote:
Space combat: Fun as hell, but broken.
It if was broken, it would not be fun. Regardless, you need to Bug Report what is truly broken for if it is not reported it may be overlooked. After all, when you car breaks down, do you just sit at home and complain about it to unknown people or do you go to a mechanic and tell them something is wrong? Do you just say, "my car is broken" or do you go into more detail to help the repair man assess the actual problem?

Quote:
Ground combat: Is it even worth mentioning?
Indeed it is, for there is no way for them to know the issues that you have with it if you do not.

Quote:
Weapon/Armour variety: What variety? lvls I - X? pfft.
I'm guessing you haven't really looked at the Exchange before, otherwise you'd see quite a bit of different types of weapons and armors for both space and ground. As well, there are a few space sets too at end game. There are as well different rarities of almost every type of gear in the game. There are also unique items and items that level with you.

Quote:
Missions: No REAL variations. Purely story with game play feeling like nothing more than a filling. Kill this many squads, access this terminal, fly to this sector, etc.
Well, this is a lore-heavy Role-Playing game that is solo-heavy and has been stated as being such by the Developers. It is also a Star Trek Intellectual Property Title that is aimed to appease fans of the Star Trek Genre, to which you have stated are "not even being a remote fan of star trek." To expect something other than what has been stated it is and to come into a game that has no appeal to you, is no one's fault but ones own.

Quote:
Ships: Awesome variations but requires little effort to obtain them and the most of simply handed to you for ranking up, while the rest are generally only available via the item mall.
I don't see how this is a bad thing in a game where our Starships are supposed to be common place, a-kin to our own characters themselves. Besides, if you would have done some research you would see that they are constantly adding new ships to the game and that all ships will eventually be earn-able through in-game methods.

Quote:
This is the real kicker for me that shows me you haven't even researched this game one iota.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Well, this is a lore-heavy Role-Playing game that is solo-heavy and has been stated as being such by the Developers.
I would swear they keep referring to this game as an MMORPG. Which, as I understand the term, means alot more than the sparse statement you claim the devs made.

Of course, Cryptic seems to have it's own definitions that shift on their wims, so I guess they can call it whatever they like. Whether it is actually what they call it is very debateable.