Lt. Commander
# 11
09-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhausen
I would swear they keep referring to this game as an MMORPG. Which, as I understand the term, means alot more than the sparse statement you claim the devs made.

Of course, Cryptic seems to have it's own definitions that shift on their wims, so I guess they can call it whatever they like. Whether it is actually what they call it is very debateable.
I never said it wasn't an MMO, nor did I say it wasn't an MMORPG...

Anywho... as for the solo-heavy "claim" - here is the latest from Executive Producer, Dan Stahl, himself:

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2609

Quote:
Q: ScottishTimelord: Can we have more direct actions from our ships rather than travelling to the nearest starbase?
A: A while back I posted that Iím considering opening up crafting to your ship interior so that you donít need to travel back to Memory Alpha to make an item. In addition, one of the interior rooms we have on our to-do list is a Shuttle-bay where you could see the shuttles you own (in ground scale) and launch them from your ship interior. That said, we donít expect to add functions like Banking or Exchange to ship interiors as we do want people to socialize even if it means everyone going to ESD to buy a new costume. STO is a very solo heavy mmo so any time we can put your around other players, we want to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Solo? Yep I will say 95% missions is done solo, but you can invite friends to join you, the thing is that for your level missions is better if you do with people fo your same level, for the exp, yesterday I did missions with my frriend that is a commander and he had a blast, so it is up to you to join a fleet and make friends or invite friends to join you, the game in few weeks will be F2P
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-14-2011, 12:22 PM
"Solo heavy MMO"

Talk about an oxymoron.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Quote:
"Solo heavy MMO"

Talk about an oxymoron.
Why? Since when does MMO = must team? MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online which to me means the game has thousands of people playing at once, nothing in there says together. I play MMO's for the in game community and the ability to have multiple characters in the same world and not individual save games. This makes it easier to treat them all as one for purposes of trading and equipping (exchange and mail))
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakner View Post
Why? Since when does MMO = must team? MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online which to me means the game has thousands of people playing at once, nothing in there says together. I play MMO's for the in game community and the ability to have multiple characters in the same world and not individual save games. This makes it easier to treat them all as one for purposes of trading and equipping (exchange and mail))
Indeed, this is a MMORPG no a MMTORPG (T stands for together) or we could say MMHOHORPG where HOH stands for hand on hand going together to dance in bambiland.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Change the definition of a game type we have all played for decades if you like. I won't stoop to that to please a few devs as I don't worship them or their pseudo-definitions of game types.

This is NOT an MMORPG. It never was. It is an OMG and we were and are continually lied to about that. Hell, they are even changing the game to be MORE of an OMG and less of an MMORPG.

Deny what is right in front of you if you like. I won't argue with the apologists. It's a waste of time.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zebular
I normally do not break down posts and comment like this, I will make an exception here however since I see so many erroneous assumptions and statements.

There is a Bug Report Feature and a Bug Reporting Forum. I'd suggest using them. Yes, this game has numerous bugs. So does every other MMO out there. This statement can be said about any MMO, so doesn't hold much weight.

This is a matter of perspective and where you place yourself in the "Community." However, this might be the only real valid point to your post as there does need to be more focus placed on Community Interaction and Ideals.

I have never seen this nor seen any topics about this. I am not saying there aren't any. Just that if this was such a horrible issue, as your post seems to proclaim, I am quite sure the forums would be rife with similar reports. Regardless, if this does happen to you, you need to Bug Report it.

It if was broken, it would not be fun. Regardless, you need to Bug Report what is truly broken for if it is not reported it may be overlooked. After all, when you car breaks down, do you just sit at home and complain about it to unknown people or do you go to a mechanic and tell them something is wrong? Do you just say, "my car is broken" or do you go into more detail to help the repair man assess the actual problem?

Indeed it is, for there is no way for them to know the issues that you have with it if you do not.

I'm guessing you haven't really looked at the Exchange before, otherwise you'd see quite a bit of different types of weapons and armors for both space and ground. As well, there are a few space sets too at end game. There are as well different rarities of almost every type of gear in the game. There are also unique items and items that level with you.

Well, this is a lore-heavy Role-Playing game that is solo-heavy and has been stated as being such by the Developers. It is also a Star Trek Intellectual Property Title that is aimed to appease fans of the Star Trek Genre, to which you have stated are "not even being a remote fan of star trek." To expect something other than what has been stated it is and to come into a game that has no appeal to you, is no one's fault but ones own.

I don't see how this is a bad thing in a game where our Starships are supposed to be common place, a-kin to our own characters themselves. Besides, if you would have done some research you would see that they are constantly adding new ships to the game and that all ships will eventually be earn-able through in-game methods.

This is the real kicker for me that shows me you haven't even researched this game one iota.
Yeah, what he says!!!! Couldn't have said it better my friend, so thank you, for sparing me all the typing.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Change the definition of a game type we have all played for decades if you like. I won't stoop to that to please a few devs as I don't worship them or their pseudo-definitions of game types.

This is NOT an MMORPG. It never was. It is an OMG and we were and are continually lied to about that. Hell, they are even changing the game to be MORE of an OMG and less of an MMORPG.

Deny what is right in front of you if you like. I won't argue with the apologists. It's a waste of time.
Why do I, as a mostly solo player, play MMO games?

Because, no non-MMO game can ever compare to an MMO game.
MMO games first and foremost are "consistently" updated and new content added to a persistant world.
There is no "end" to MMO games, you can continue to play forever in an open and evolving world.
Players are able to interact with one another on social levels, combat levels and role-playing levels within the game, usually on their own terms.

My apologies if our view-points differ on how we each play, that still does not change the fact that MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer Online. It does not stand for anything else. Play how you want, I play how I want, others play how they want. The fact is, without anyone playing, there would be no M and no M to go with the O. You too can deny what is right in front of you.

Did you ever play Ultima Online? It too was and is an MMO. There was no teaming. It was all Community. People got together on their own terms or played by themselves. We didn't get any of these MMO stereo-types until the "teaming" or "grouping" systems came to pass, which in turn spawned the MMO Elitists who try and dictate what an MMO should be and not what it was founded on as principle.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-14-2011, 01:01 PM
MMO games is th most close ressemblance to real life than most games out there in the social aspect I mean.
STO is a future that already has been played in TV and has a lot of acceptance. Even some of the gadgets that starteed at the beginning of these series are real right now.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-14-2011, 01:25 PM
I treat MMO's like the real world a busy place that has many people I can communicate and interact with if I wish to, but don't have to. Its like standing on a street corner with a 100 other people, I can chose to talk to any of them or even walk the same direction but we all donít need to hold hands just to cross the street. I am perfectly capable if doing that myself.

P.S. knowing my luck one person would trip and we would all fall over then get run over and half us would dieÖ oh wait that was my last pug STF never mind.