Lt. Commander
# 21
09-15-2011, 06:05 AM
There's nothing "wrong" with the game.

A lot of "players" are expecting STO to be "just an MMO game" "like all the other "MMOs" that they've played. They want or desire it to be something other than what it is in order to fit within their own definitions of an "MMO".

They have issues understanding or grasping STO for what it is - a representation of the Star Trek story and experience based on being a "ships captain".

And as is quite evident, a lot of "players" have never been in "the chair" or can even quite grasp totally and completely what it means to be "in command". Being a ships captain is the loneliest job that there is.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-15-2011, 12:32 PM
This is NOT an MMO for exactly the reasons you outline.

Quote:
MMO games first and foremost are "consistently" updated and new content added to a persistant world.
This game is not a persistant world. There are no persistant zones. the entire game is instanced. And tiny instances at that. There is no sandbox. And content has been far from "consistant". I would go as far to say it is exactly the opposite of consistant.

Quote:
There is no "end" to MMO games, you can continue to play forever in an open and evolving world.
And this game just abruptly ends. There is no endgame to speak of. It is yet another ignored area.

Quote:
Players are able to interact with one another on social levels, combat levels and role-playing levels within the game, usually on their own terms.
Player interaction is also practically non existant to the point that one must join a fleet in order to just talk to someone. Combat is completely soloable and no one MUST team for anything. There is no reason to group and when you do, it is only 5 players. Yeah, you need to group for the ridiculous waves of NPCs in STFs, but even that is about to change for solo friendly play.

You missed a couple of other points as well. MMOs have PVP as a major endgame type of play. This game barely has PvP and has ignored it since launch.

Multi faction, or at least two full factions. This game does not have two full factions. I am wondering if it ever will.

There is more, but why bother. I am not talking about how individuals play a game, I'm talking about what is provided for them to play. This game is a very bad representation of an MMORPG. I would go so far to say it is so bad as an MMO, that it isn't one.

Deny that all you like. It doesn't change it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
MMOs have PVP as a major endgame type of play.
Nonsense. CoH is a perfectly good and massive MMORPG, and PvP there is a niche part of the game as it is in many games. There is nothing stopping you from teaming or talking to people. I am in a fleet, but most of the conversation I see is in zones or ESD or even other channels.

Try not to compare everything to WoW, which according to your description is what you are doing. This game is massive, multi-player, online, and an RPG. Looks like it fits the definition of the acronym. In addition, one can go solo, RP or not RP, engage in PvP, or even just chat away in ESD. MMORPG does not fit one narrow definition.

You also seem to miss the obvious point about that which the game is based on - Star Trek was not a team show, either. Unless, of course, you are talking about the crew as a team. Not often was the Enterprise forced to "team" with other ships to do their missions. They were usually soloing "content" just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Nonsense.
Lol, yeah, PvP is not vital to MMOs or endgame.

Quote:
Try not to compare everything to WoW, which according to your description is what you are doing.
You just did that, not me. And, I would ask you to revisit that statement after TOR is out for a 18 months.

Quote:
This game is massive, multi-player, online, and an RPG.
It means much more than that and you know it. But, whatever, simplify to the point of skewing if you like. I won't waste either of our time trying to convince aomeone loyal to the devs.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-15-2011, 01:07 PM
We all have different expectations and play our own way. This still does not change the fact that, by definition, this is an MMO. So, as you said, you can deny this all you want as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhausen
This is NOT an MMO for exactly the reasons you outline.

This game is not a persistant world. There are no persistant zones. the entire game is instanced. And tiny instances at that. There is no sandbox. And content has been far from "consistant". I would go as far to say it is exactly the opposite of consistant.

And this game just abruptly ends. There is no endgame to speak of. It is yet another ignored area.

Player interaction is also practically non existant to the point that one must join a fleet in order to just talk to someone. Combat is completely soloable and no one MUST team for anything. There is no reason to group and when you do, it is only 5 players. Yeah, you need to group for the ridiculous waves of NPCs in STFs, but even that is about to change for solo friendly play.

You missed a couple of other points as well. MMOs have PVP as a major endgame type of play. This game barely has PvP and has ignored it since launch.

Multi faction, or at least two full factions. This game does not have two full factions. I am wondering if it ever will.

There is more, but why bother. I am not talking about how individuals play a game, I'm talking about what is provided for them to play. This game is a very bad representation of an MMORPG. I would go so far to say it is so bad as an MMO, that it isn't one.

Deny that all you like. It doesn't change it.

You need to add more "to me" and more "in my opinion" and "in my style of gameplay" there.

As for your comments on PvP, I wonder how it is LotRO can be defined an MMO then since "Monster Play" (their PvP) is so very underplayed compared to almost any other MMO out there.

I suppose the real question here, if this game is not living up to your standards or exceptions, why are you still playing a game you obviously have a lot of angst against?

I am perfectly content to watch this lovely MMO continue to be a persistent world, one that continues even when I am not logged in. One that evolves and changes and is therefore, by definition, an MMO. I do not understand the need to change a definition based upon personal opinion and play-style preference.
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel-Hyena
He joined last month and most of his complaints are either inaccurate or outright false (since when do enemy ships "turbo" away from you? A few use evasive manuevers, but that's it).

He's either complaining about things he hasn't taken the time to actually research, or he's a troll. I'm gonna lean towards the latter.

Don't feed the troll, folks.

Well, no one can say I didn't try.
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
the game in few weeks will be F2P
a few weeks? lol no. a few months is more accurate.

Quote:
There is a Bug Report Feature and a Bug Reporting Forum. I'd suggest using them. Yes, this game has numerous bugs. So does every other MMO out there. This statement can be said about any MMO, so doesn't hold much weight.
you can report bugs till you're blue in the face. doesn't mean most of them ever get fixed. and every other mmo doesn't have major game breaking bugs that crash servers with every update nor do they have bugs that get reported by thousands of people and still not get looked at for 18 months. so no, the argument holds alot of weight

Quote:
It if was broken, it would not be fun.
circular logic and untrue. something can be broken and still be fun

Quote:
Well, this is a lore-heavy Role-Playing game that is solo-heavy and has been stated as being such by the Developers.
no its a mmorpg. the devs just don't bother including very much in the way of social activities in the game.

Quote:
STO is a future that already has been played in TV and has a lot of acceptance
cell phones and windows media player. thats about it. the rest is largely based on fantasy that violates a considerable number of physical laws
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
What does instances have to do with being persistant? Persistant simply means that it is 'on' even when you are not logged in. So what if it is 'instanced'? There will always be an instance of ESD. That is what makes it persistent. Plus, there are plans to make a single sector space map.

And the person you quoted said the GAME was consistently updated, not necessarily the CONTENT. As far as I can recall, there is an update every single week, sometimes with major changes, sometimes with minor. Some with just some bug fixes. But it pretty much happens every week.

Quote:
Not true. The STFs are not going to change for solo friendly play. They are going to change for PUG friendly play. They will still not be completable by yourself. They will still require a team to complete.
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Sir your troll is showing again.
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
Good news, everybody. The game is going F2P by year's end. Check out the Matrix on the main page to see what you get.
Yes, I read that in Farnsworth's voice.