Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
Hello everyone!

I apologize if this has been asked/answered many times before, but I was wondering if it is possible to change the actual User Name on the account itself. I did do a seach on the forums and support websites (as well as Google, Bing, & Yahoo) in as many different variations as I could think of, and all I kept coming up with was the way to change the email address. Unfortunately, I did not find anything about changing the account name (username).

Is this something I can take care of myself, do I need to submit a support ticket, or am I basically stuck?

Thank you for any/all info you can provide. It is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. Also my apologies if I did not post this type of message in the correct section.

<edit>

P.P.S. Also I believe that Lifetimers get a Blue Career Officer thing in their name...I did not see that on me when I was checking my post. Do I have to reach a certain number of messages before that becomes active? Sorry for all the questions Again Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Selling or otherwise transferring ownership of accounts is against the game Terms of Service.

http://www.startrekonline.com/terms_of_service

Quote:
10. Ownership/Selling of the Account or Virtual Items. Cryptic does not recognize the transfer of Accounts. You may not purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, or offer to purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, and any such attempt shall be null and void. Cryptic owns, has licensed, or otherwise has rights to all of the content that appears in the Game. You agree that you have no right or title in or to any such content, including the virtual goods or currency appearing or originating in the Game, Cryptic Points or any other attributes associated with the Account or stored on the Service ("Game Assets"). Cryptic does not recognize any Game Assets transfers executed outside of the Game or the purported sale, gift or trade in the "real world" of anything related to the Game. Accordingly, you may not sell Game Assets for "real" money or otherwise exchange items for value outside of the Game. Any such sale or exchange is a material breach of this Agreement for which Cryptic may (but is not obligated to) immediately suspend or terminate your account.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Ouch...

In the event it'll still be useful to you: Cryptic as a rule does not alter account names. And to display your career officer status you go to My Account (at the top of the forum, not on the main site), then in the control panel column, near the bottom, under Miscellaneous, click "Group Memberships". There'll be two options there, one grey, one blue, with check boxes behind them. If there's only one option there, to make matters worse, you've been scammed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I do believe you are stuck with your @Handle (You've called it Username)
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gym_Quirk
Selling or otherwise transferring ownership of accounts is against the game Terms of Service.

http://www.startrekonline.com/terms_of_service
I been reading over the OP for the 6'th time now... I see no single indication that he is trying to sell his account?
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I been reading over the OP for the 6'th time now... I see no single indication that he is trying to sell his account?
I'm assuming it is because:
User Reg Date: "Join Date: Jan 2010"
User's Thread Title: "Just bought & looking for a lil info on usernames "

They've then edited out "Just bought" but that does not change on the base thread title as wella s apparently other information, before you replied, by looking at the edit timestamp.

However, the flip side is that they could have meant "Just bought Lifetime" - as my Reg Date is from when I first registered with Champions Online, not Star Trek Online. Only Cryptic can know for sure as they can see more details on the account as well as read the original text of posts before they were edited (normal function of vB if enabled).
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zebular
I'm assuming it is because:
User Reg Date: "Join Date: Jan 2010"
User's Thread Title: "Just bought & looking for a lil info on usernames "

They've then edited out "Just bought" but that does not change on the base thread title.

However, the flip side is that they could have meant "Just bought Lifetime" - as my Reg Date is from when I first registered with Champions Online, not Star Trek Online.
Exactly my point... Some people just WANT to assume the worst.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
I am thinking that he either noticed a typo in his username, or had second thoughts about what he wanted to be named. In that case I think he should contact Cryptic Support directly rather than submitting a ticket.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiClari View Post
I am thinking that he either noticed a typo in his username, or had second thoughts about what he wanted to be named. In that case I think he should contact Cryptic Support directly rather than submitting a ticket.
It's been edited out, but his username is actually literally "Username"
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Exactly my point... Some people just WANT to assume the worst.
The pre-edit version said he bought the account from a friend. Half an hour after I pointed out that this was not kosher, that detail disappeared.

Gym "My bad for not quoting the OP." Quirk
Closed Thread