Lt. Commander
i usually take the level appropriate badge(s).
i guess i am just not much of a gambler.

so when i had 11 quests completed today (10 x Borg Invasion + 1x set of 3 Foundry Missions )
i copied my char 12 times to Tribble and did a little testing what kind of items i could expect to get out of this reward.

here is a picture of the results:

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/3qai...1421080676.jpg

result:
from 132 level appropriate items
i got
- 14 BLANKS (bug? intended?)
- 3 Mk XI purples
- 5 Mk X purples

if i had chosen the level apropriate badge it would be 120 Emblems from the Borg Missions, and 33 Emblems from the Foundry Missions = 153 Emblems.

- i used a Federation Vice Admiral 1 for this test.
- i don't think that Mk X is even "level appropriate" for a VA1 ?!?!?!?

- note: i don't know if the "blanks" i got was a bug or intended?

- note: i don't know if the Foundry Reward uses a different loot table than the Borg Invasion Rewards,
3 foundry missions take a LOT longer than a single Borg Invasion so it would only be fair if it had a 3 times better drop chance, the game shows no indication that the item is any different.

my personal conclusion is that the Emblems give me better bang for the buck.
i can CHOOSE which items i buy, those 3 Mk XI purples were nothing i would have used, and the drop rate of the appropriate item does not seem any better then what i get for Emblems anyway.
Of course if you sell the crappy green and blue items you get a bunch of additional Energy Credits to spend on Dabo.
So judge yourself what is best for you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I think it was determined a while ago that Emblems are the way to go. You don't get purples very often with the item boxes and when you do get them they're not something you can use.

I'd rather get 100,000 ECs or something.

I'm hoping the introduction of real "currency" into the game will bring missions for money. Having to get items from missions then sell/recycle said items to get ECs is stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-14-2011, 02:58 PM
To save some people time, the breakdown of the 132 items:

14 blanks
91 uncommons (43 Mk X, 48 Mk XI)
19 rares (11 Mk X, 8 Mk XI)
8 very rares (5 Mk X, 3 Mk XI)

Of the items that did appear:
77% uncommon (36% Mk X, 41% Mk XI)
16% rare (9% Mk X, 7% Mk XI)
7% very rare (4.2% Mk X, 2.5% Mk XI)

50% Mk X
50% Mk XI
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-14-2011, 02:59 PM
I ran into a similar problem. I completed one of the Borg Invasion missions, selected the "Level-Appropriate Item" as the reward, but when I right-clicked the item and clicked "Equip" (because there's no "Use" option in the right-click menu), the Level-Appropriate Item disappeared from my inventory and I did not receive any other item as a reward.

Ever since then, I've been taking the "Level-Appropriate Badge" reward instead, and even so, it seems to be giving me a badge that's one level below the rank I'm currently in.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DialgaChampion View Post
I ran into a similar problem. I completed one of the Borg Invasion missions, selected the "Level-Appropriate Item" as the reward, but when I right-clicked the item and clicked "Equip" (because there's no "Use" option in the right-click menu), the Level-Appropriate Item disappeared from my inventory and I did not receive any other item as a reward.

Ever since then, I've been taking the "Level-Appropriate Badge" reward instead, and even so, it seems to be giving me a badge that's one level below the rank I'm currently in.
I believe the problem with that is that most of the Borg DSEs lock everyone to level 45. So you are going to get a MKX item. You'd have to fight in one of the higher level DSEs to get a XI.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Thats why I go for emblems, the ridiculous loot chance isn't worth it when you can be hoarding emblems and getting what you want/ waiting for dilithium.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-14-2011, 03:12 PM
I never got anything but Mk X ( which is NOT appropriate ), so I switched to take the emblems. Too bad.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Ugh. Wow dude, thank you. Truly. Thank you for doing this. I now, for sure, will continue collecting Emblems.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Regarding the issue with "blank" Level-Appropriate Items, I've seen mentioned a few times in the REDALERT channel that you can avoid that current bug by equipping those while on a ground map instead of a space map.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Yeah, after opening a few item boxes and seeing nothing I would use even if it was purple... which they were not, I decided to start collecting badges in anticipation of the switch to the single currency.