Lt. Commander
# 41
09-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
A response when trying to explain some of the problems with Scramble Sensors (specifically Evasive Maneuvers):
And that response you posted right there Steve is more evidence the devs do not play their own game. If they do, then not enough. This is in sharp contract to the PWI devs who had a team place 3rd in a global 2010 Jade Dynasty pvp tournament in Beijing!
Link to article: http://www.pwe-inc.com/press/?p=298621

Now remember, PWI Corporate is in Foster City CA, about 1/2 way between SF and Cryptic's offices.

So Cryptic devs really need to get that type of experience in order to have such first hand knowledge. And as many of you have all said for a long time, that is what will make the game so much better.
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxcraig View Post
And that response you posted right there Steve is more evidence the devs do not play their own game. If they do, then not enough. This is in sharp contract to the PWI devs who had a team place 3rd in a global 2010 Jade Dynasty pvp tournament in Beijing!
Link to article: http://www.pwe-inc.com/press/?p=298621

Now remember, PWI Corporate is in Foster City CA, about 1/2 way between SF and Cryptic's offices.

So Cryptic devs really need to get that type of experience in order to have such first hand knowledge. And as many of you have all said for a long time, that is what will make the game so much better.
Sad but true.

Dear Devs,

come out and play....

thanks
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-18-2011, 09:35 AM
4 things:

1.) Scramble needs decoupled from Aux.

2.) The skill Starship Sensor Probes and its real affect on the Scramble timer needs to be reviewed. At the moment this power can be abused by unskilled players with great results because it is so highly Aux driven.

3.) Longer cooldown - 2 minutes

4.) Shorter Scramble durations

Here's a suggestion. Make people actually need to skill for this power. It's basically an awesome power that you don't need to currently put any skill points into (that you aren't already doing so to increase Sensor Scan). Decouple it from Auxiliary power. It's currently nearly all Aux driven.

iI'll elaborate.

One of my Sci toons has 0 points invested in Starship Sensor Probes. This toon's SS2 duration is 23 seconds base at 125 Aux. If I invested all the way to 9 in Starship Sensor Probes I'd only be getting 3 seconds added to the timer of my SS2 using the same amount of Aux power on my ship. There really is no good reason for anyone to waste points on the skill Sensor Probes. You'll still get an awesome Scramble no matter how much you invest as long as you run high Aux. I am not currently a proponent of how this skill is working even though it is to my benefit.

A possible solution.

What about putting Starship Sensor Probes at tier 5 in the Skill tree making it more expensive to skill for. It has to be decoupled from Aux though. People should actually be forced to spec for this ability. If I am completely unskilled in Sensor Probes then I should not have a 23 second Scramble Sensors 2 even at high Aux is the point I'm making.

There's no good reason Scramble should be fragile. There is also no good reason there should be a limit on the number of targets in an radius. Just take those suggestions I mentioned above. Make Scramble Sensors ACTUALLY have to compete for skill points within players builds. Don't give players an awesome power that doesn't require actually having to put Skill points into its primary skill as long as you run high Aux. That should prevent it from seeing the abuse it is currently getting on the playfield. People will have to decide between running a decent Scramble or a good CPB or a good GW. Like I said earlier, you currently don't even need to invest Skill points into Sensor probes for this highly driven Aux power.

In addition, people who send heals to opponents need to pay attention to what's going on. It is a simple as setting up a keybind so heals automatically target you during Scramble situations. I've been scrambled a lot and never had a heal misfire that wasn't my own fault. There's nothing wrong with Cryptic forcing people to pay attention when it comes to what you're targeting. That's the players responsibility. My apologies if that sounded harsh.
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-18-2011, 12:48 PM
If Jam Sensors is single target and fragile I fail to see why an AoE ability shouldn't be fragile (not to mention that as a probe it doesn't have the activation arc restriction that other probes have). The ability should remain dependent upon Aux (otherwise it would be a further buff to Science)l, but yes, it should also require investment in appropriate skills just as all other abilities should.

Given that Cryptic says their system can't tell the difference between Players, NPCs, and objects, I no longer believe that a hard cap is a reasonable solution either. Scramble is a necessary evil for many reasons not the least of which being the amount of spam that can be produced. A cap would also harm PvEers who are dependent upon entire swarms of NPCs being held or killing themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
If Jam Sensors is single target and fragile I fail to see why an AoE ability shouldn't be fragile (not to mention that as a probe it doesn't have the activation arc restriction that other probes have). The ability should remain dependent upon Aux (otherwise it would be a further buff to Science)l, but yes, it should also require investment in appropriate skills just as all other abilities should.

Given that Cryptic says their system can't tell the difference between Players, NPCs, and objects, I no longer believe that a hard cap is a reasonable solution either. Scramble is a necessary evil for many reasons not the least of which being the amount of spam that can be produced. A cap would also harm PvEers who are dependent upon entire swarms of NPCs being held or killing themselves.
I agree giving it a hard number of targets if the system can't tell the diffrence is a bad idea. Making it fragil is the real fix here. That makes it super effective vs spam, and NPCs for our PvE friends. It however means the likely hood of someone being scramble for 40 seconds goes way down.
Lt. Commander
# 46
09-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
As for the misfiring powers, that unfortunately could be a million things. As we get more information or are able to replicate the issue consistently 100%, we will work towards a solution.
In other words, we as a community needs to try and figure out when exactly does it misfire. (Evasives i.e.)
Will be a hard job though, but it can be done with 2 or 3 people testing out different stuff in a challenge match. Perhaps we can find something and isolate the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Quote:
[...]Given that Cryptic says their system can't tell the difference between Players, NPCs, and objects, I no longer believe that a hard cap is a reasonable solution either. Scramble is a necessary evil for many reasons not the least of which being the amount of spam that can be produced. A cap would also harm PvEers who are dependent upon entire swarms of NPCs being held or killing themselves.
I don't think it will hurt PvE. The biggest groups you normally fight consists of 3 ships (fighter groups are an exception). So a 5 ship limit won't hurt.... that is until you aggro the whole map to get them all at once. *whistles innocently*

For PvP all the 5 target limits (without distinguishing NPC-PC) will bring the return of the spam. I can only hope a way to differentiate NPCs from PCs is high on the priority list. Sadly I fear it isn't an easy task to implement.