Lt. Commander
These styles are hot, and I noticed they both share some visual queues. Will this style be the new standard for 2409 era ships? Might we see Venture inspired variants for more of the existing ships in the future?

While I appreciate and am glad that STO has brought in so much of Trek's past, we are also supposed to be in the future, and it would be nice to see more of the future in ships and star bases, even if just as variants of old designs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-15-2011, 09:06 PM
I hope so too. It reminds me of when the Galaxy-class was first seen, you had similar design elements used in other classes such as the Nebula and New Orleans-class starships. It's about time Starfleet looked a little more consistent across the fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Amen to this. Imagine how good a fleet of ships would look sharing this new design philosophy.

I'm not a huge fan of seeing the Excelsior class in this era but as they were kind of a workhorse in DS9, I can understand that some might still be around. This is why I'm against a T5 Connie. I don't want to see relics flying around with the excuse that 'Oh well, it's been refitted for service in the war' or 'My admiral can choose any ship he/she wants'. The Constitution class belongs in the past, let it rest in peace.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
When I first saw Venture and reflected on Odyssey, I thought to myself fleet of 2409.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Every era has had a definitive style of starship design in the shows and movies, and I love the idea of the Enteperise-F and Venture class design being used as template for the STO era.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-15-2011, 11:04 PM
I agree. I practically squee'd when I first saw the Venture Class, and I don't normally do that. Although I highly doubt it, I'm hoping that the rest of the Federation ships CaptLogan is working on are similar in style to the Odyssey/Venture. This should be the standard of design for 25th century ships, IMO.

Oh, by the way, interesting fact: Both the Odyssey Class and the Venture Class were named after Galaxy Class ships that served in important events during or leading up to the Dominion War.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I certainly hope so, too.

Can you imagine how slick a Defiant would look in Odyssey-chique? Or maybe a Prometheus? Intrepid?

I really, really hope the similarity in design was intentional. A standard architecture would go a long way to helping this game feel at least a little more coherent.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
I certainly hope so, too.

Can you imagine how slick a Defiant would look in Odyssey-chique? Or maybe a Prometheus? Intrepid?

I really, really hope the similarity in design was intentional. A standard architecture would go a long way to helping this game feel at least a little more coherent.
I would love to see this and an even more sleek design of the sovy with the odyssey style design as one of its varints .
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Agreed with the others. Venture is quite possibly the best looking Federation variant this game has to offer. Smooth and sleek, none of those tacked on angular parts like the other variants have.

If this is the shape of things to come I will be very pleased.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshAvenger
Amen to this. Imagine how good a fleet of ships would look sharing this new design philosophy.

I'm not a huge fan of seeing the Excelsior class in this era but as they were kind of a workhorse in DS9, I can understand that some might still be around. This is why I'm against a T5 Connie. I don't want to see relics flying around with the excuse that 'Oh well, it's been refitted for service in the war' or 'My admiral can choose any ship he/she wants'. The Constitution class belongs in the past, let it rest in peace.
Maybe modernizing some of these old ships by way of a Venture/Odyssey make-over would be a better way to bring some fan favorites into 2409? Allow them to be used at higher tiers, but limit those to the newer skins.

I think the the Ent-B Excelsior variant might be quite awesome looking with a Venture/Odyssey make-over. Someone's forum sig has that variant at an interesting angle, and if you don't look close it almost makes you think of the Galaxy.

I'd love to see many of the ships we know so well with this new design. Akira, Norway, Steamrunner, Sabre, Galaxy, Intrepid, Excelsior, Star Cruiser/Nomad, Luna, Prometheus, Defiant, heck, even those goofy golf ball science ships!

Might also be interesting to seem some of the aesthetics in Player/Fleet Starbases when those come out.