Lt. Commander
# 1 Dev Chat: July 14
07-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Next Tuesday, July 14, at 11:30 a.m. Pacific time (we’re GMT -7 right now), we’ll be holding a developer’s chat in the official Star Trek Online IRC chat!

This chat’s focus will be on ship configurations, so be ready to submit your questions to the team. The chat is scheduled to last 30 minutes. If you can’t make it due to time constraints, we’ll be posting a transcript of the chat on the forums.

If you’d like to join us, point your IRC program of choice toward #STO on gamesurge.net, or click right here for a Flash client. And if you can’t make it, just reply with your question in this thread. We’ll be selecting questions from the thread to put to the developers.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Ooh, I hope I can make it. Thank you guys for continuing to hold these!

Just in case I can't make it, though:

I have been, for a long time, absolutely in love with the Akira. However, when STO goes live, I'm anticipating spending most of my time chasing after exploration and otherwise non-torpedo-centric content. Will I be able to configure an Akira to such a degree that I'll be able to chase after the content of my choice without feeling penalized for choosing a chassis that I've always loved the look of, or will I find that vessels of the same tier that are canonically dedicated to scientific pursuits will be able to edge the Akira out when it comes to performing in that area?
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
What exactly can be changed on a ship?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Hello,

Will ships have the abilty to beam marines aboard an enemy ship when one of thier shield arcs has been breached?

Also, if yes, will there be a set amount of marines that a ship class can have onboard, or will there be a variant of that class that will offer the ability to hold more?

- Serikor
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I have one main question and then 2 smaller questions:

How will enhancing my ship work? Like will it be like enhancements for the game City of Heroes, because I don't want to have to spend outrageous amounts of credits or gold pressed latinum or watever to get only a couple of new devices or parts that the hardcore people get like on CoH.

1)Will I be able to choose my ship's name and possibly registry number or are either or both already officially set?
2) Can I choose how my ship's transporter beaming effects will look to some degree? (Things like color, or "sparkles", etc.)
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Here is a question.

In the Star Trek series' and films, There were very set classes of ships, i.e. Constitution Class / Galaxy Class, and while indervidual ships may have had differences they still looked very similar.
How are you striking a balance between allowing players to customise their ships, while maintaining the particular style or look of a Class? What about limitations to ensure that ships still maintain the style of Starfleet?
Personally I shudder at the thought of a Defiant with metallic blue perl, lowered engines, big bore exhaust and underside neons.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Will it be feasible for players to use ships that are not specified for that class?
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-13-2009, 04:14 PM
you have mentioned in previous ask cryptic that you can make you ship look however you like, you have also mentioned that you have the parts to make say a old Constitution class but fallowed up by saying that it make you ship weaker. that established if you have 10 configuration options will say part A will be better than part B which is MUCH better than part G, the Constitution class skin

in short are some configurations naturally stronger than others?

if yes than if that being the case what is there to promote diversity based purely on ascetics and choice? if i want to have a Olslo Class look one way and one that looks slightly different is naturally better why should i have even chosen my design to begin with?
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-13-2009, 04:32 PM
You've said that you can outfit your basic ship to make it very competitive with other ships. If you so desire could you get to the highest level in just your starter ship?
Lt. Commander
# 10 Open configuration
07-13-2009, 04:38 PM
How will STO interface with user-designed rooms (like bridges), objects, items, etc and in what format?

Will there be any interfaces to input our own designs content such as Sketchup, CAD, or another format that we can trade with our friends and create content to invest in the experience?

Thank you!