Lt. Commander
# 21
09-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
The only thing I could add to Mistrum's excellent post is to note that if you use tactical team, do not keybind distribute shields to your spacebar. The keybind will override and effectively cancel your tactical team.
Looked for thist, but didn't really see it. They do work against each other, but Tac Team is so much quicker to respond that it outweighs the distribute effect.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-21-2011, 08:02 AM
If you want the maxi big shield tank, it's probably an engineer in a Nebula or D'Kyr (fed side). Either ship will let you run EPtS III / TSS III together. On the KDF side you can run that same combination in the BoP or a couple other ships I think. TSS III can be expensive if you have to buy it, but both the Reman and KA Borg special BOFFs come with it, so you can get hold of it without spending anything if you want.

The Nebula seems a little better since you can swap out the universal LT between a second engineer or second tac depending on how tanky you're feeling. Combine that with the innate power management abilities of your captain and the high shield HP of a science ship, and your shields will be as unbreakable as they get in this game.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...d=NEBULA02_324

The CDR science skill can be whatever you like for fun. Feedback Pulse might seem like an obvious choice, but it shares a system cooldown with TSS, so you won't wind up using it much when you have two copies of TSS on board. Just fill in with TBR III, GW III, SS III, or whatever you like; there aren't any real shield buffing powers at that level for science.

For the set, go with Aegis Deflector and Borg Engine, Shield, Console for the shield heal proc. With a 35% console on a science ship, you can run the Borg shield and still have respectable shield HP, and you will have stupidly high regen at max shield power and with EPtS / TSS running. The Aegis deflector gives a +5 shield power bonus that stacks with the Borg shield which also adds +5, and the Aegis dish also buffs Deflectors.

Engineering consoles: Field Generator (35% shield cap); Field Emitter (13% regen); and the third one armor or shield / aux / weapon power depending.

Science consoles: 3x Induction Stabilizer, which you can swap out for whatever supports your CDR science power when you want to be less defensive.

Tactical consoles: Automated Defense Battery + Borg Universal, and swap the defense turret out with a weapon console for more damage.

Maxed out, you can sustain 120ish aux / 120ish shields more or less indefinitely; and you can cap both if you have the wallet for 4x Efficient Saurians and took Efficient + Warp Theorist on your captain. You won't be doing any damage in that mode, obviously, but you can back it off from there to more aggressive power settings, swap out the tactical BOFFs for more damage, and swap in some engineers with EPtW also.

An engineer could run six beams with ease in this setup if you switch to attack power, or for max tanking low-weapon-power mode you can put 1x Hargh'Peng + 1x Tricobalt Torpedo Launcher on each end and just try to get lucky shots in when you catch a shield facing down.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-21-2011, 05:21 PM
I must be missing something when I look at the description for EPtS it states a 45 sec recharge. So how do I chain 2 of these for 100% up time? Throw a battery in? but the recharge on a bat is 1min +, That need's a change if you ask me.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Each individual instance of EPtS has it's own 45 second cooldown.
When you trigger EPtS, it puts any other EPtS skills you have on a 30 second cooldown, and all other Emergency Power to X skills on a 15 second global cooldown.

So by having two EPtS skills, you pop the first one, then 30 second later, pop the second. By the time the second one has worn off, the first one has already been off cooldown for 15 seconds and is good to go.

Thats why you can cycle 2 types of emergency power to X skills non stop, if you have 2 copies of each skill. For Example, in a tanky/healing role, you could cycle emergency power to Shields and Aux non stop. Here's a time-line example
  • 0 Seconds: Use first copy of Emergency Power to Aux. Second copy goes on 30 second cooldown and the 2 copies of EPtS go on 15 second cooldowns.
  • 15 Seconds later: Use Emergency power to Shields. 2ed copy of emergency power to shields gos on 30 second cooldown, and 2ed copy of EPtA has 15 seconds left on Cooldown. Current EPtA buff has 15 seconds left as well.
  • 30 seconds: Use second copy of Emergency power to Aux. 1st copy goes from 15 seconds left on CD to 30 due to GCD (Global Cool Down). 2ed copy of EPtS has 15 seconds left on cooldown. EPtS buff has 15 seconds left.
  • 45 Seconds: Use Second copy of Emergency Power to Shields. First copy of EPtS goes to 30 seconds of cooldown due to GCD. First copy of Emergency Power to Aux has 15 seconds of cooldown left, and current EPtA buff has 15 seconds left.
  • 60 seconds: Cycle repeats with the first copy of Emergency Power to Aux.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrion
Each individual instance of EPtS has it's own 45 second cooldown.
When you trigger EPtS, it puts any other EPtS skills you have on a 30 second cooldown, and all other Emergency Power to X skills on a 15 second global cooldown.

So by having two EPtS skills, you pop the first one, then 30 second later, pop the second. By the time the second one has worn off, the first one has already been off cooldown for 15 seconds and is good to go.

Thats why you can cycle 2 types of emergency power to X skills non stop, if you have 2 copies of each skill. For Example, in a tanky/healing role, you could cycle emergency power to Shields and Aux non stop. Here's a time-line example
  • 0 Seconds: Use first copy of Emergency Power to Aux. Second copy goes on 30 second cooldown and the 2 copies of EPtS go on 15 second cooldowns.
  • 15 Seconds later: Use Emergency power to Shields. 2ed copy of emergency power to shields gos on 30 second cooldown, and 2ed copy of EPtA has 15 seconds left on Cooldown. Current EPtA buff has 15 seconds left as well.
  • 30 seconds: Use second copy of Emergency power to Aux. 1st copy goes from 15 seconds left on CD to 30 due to GCD (Global Cool Down). 2ed copy of EPtS has 15 seconds left on cooldown. EPtS buff has 15 seconds left.
  • 45 Seconds: Use Second copy of Emergency Power to Shields. First copy of EPtS goes to 30 seconds of cooldown due to GCD. First copy of Emergency Power to Aux has 15 seconds of cooldown left, and current EPtA buff has 15 seconds left.
  • 60 seconds: Cycle repeats with the first copy of Emergency Power to Aux.
I got it... it's just one of those you have to see it to believe it things. Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The nastier thing IMO are Tractor Beams. That's the big gap in your defense, and it sucks being tractored a lot. You may have to rethink your science powers if you really get hit with that a lot.
Attack Pattern Omega solves this.

Awesome guides/ideas, guys!

Question: Consoles/Equipment. Suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrit122 View Post
Attack Pattern Omega solves this.

The uptime of APO is not very good. I am not happy with it. Polarize Hull would be better.
But you have to take what you can get, and as long as 3/4 of the population are rotating Tactical Team in its current form, Attack Pattern Beta isn't a good choice, I suppose, and APO the only real alternative for damage-oriented builds.

Quote:
Question: Consoles/Equipment. Suggestions?
For Engineering that Field Generator ( +35 % Shield Capacity) concole, of course.
As a Science Console, I'd suggest the one that improves Starship Deflector Field (boosts Transfer Shield Strength). But beware - don't sacrifice to much offense and crowd control for your shield tanking.

The rest, I'd make more dependent on what else you want to do.
You can get one of those shield energy buff consoles for engineering, but you might get more out of other consoles. Any DPS oriented ship should first guarantee it has 125 weapon power before it invests into its shield power, shield tanking or no shield tanking.

If you're flying a Cruiser in team scenarios, you might want to boost Starship Hull Repair to better help your friends.
As mentioned before - don't run 2 x EPtS3 on a Cruiser. You can do it, but you're wasting either DPS that will make PvE enemies die more quickly, or you're wasting healing that would keep the real damage dealer on your team alive. In PvP, such Cruisers are called "Zombie" Cruisers. They are "undead" - can't die anymore. Except unlike Zombies, they are not a threat for anyone.
You might also consider some of the armor consoles, to reduce the bleedthrough you take.

For Deflectors - anything that boosts the Starship Deflectors and Starship Deflector Field skill will be useful for healing. But the same rule as for consoles applies - don't invest too much.

I think the major parts of shield tanking is to have the EPtS, Distribute Shield Power and a shield heal. Everything else is bonus and you have to really consider what it is costing your ability to heal others, inflict damage or crowd control.
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-22-2011, 01:08 AM
2x EPtS 3 is good if you do not have quick reactions and use regenerative (borg) shields to get 125 shield power to max. natural regen and just constantly distribute shields.

It's actually the easiest and "best" shield tank. It just has the opportunity cost of using both lt.cmd engineering abilities. Problem with zombies cruisers in general is not that they would use 2x EPtS3, but that they do not support others and keep all heals for them self.
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
2x EPtS 3 is good if you do not have quick reactions and use regenerative (borg) shields to get 125 shield power to max. natural regen and just constantly distribute shields.

It's actually the easiest and "best" shield tank. It just has the opportunity cost of using both lt.cmd engineering abilities. Problem with zombies cruisers in general is not that they would use 2x EPtS3, but that they do not support others and keep all heals for them self.
Well, the opportunity cost is exactly why I recommend against it. You're either losing oportunity for strong(er) heals or for more DPS.

But Artificialx noted - there might be one niche for pure "tanking" Cruisers in Capture & Hold - simply because a tank can hold a capture point. I still wouldn't recommend it for Arenas and PvE, simply because you can either better dispense healing to allies, or invest more into your DPS to get rid of those NPCs.
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-22-2011, 04:01 AM
But really, it is matter of how the person wants to play. I hate the whole "you play cruiser so you should...". Everyone is free to play like he wants. If anyone wants to play zombie cruiser, let him play one. He will eventually realize its boring and switch build anyway. The important thing is to provide him with enough information.

The fact is, out of the hundreds of builds I have tested, I never felt that 2x EptS3 is bad, sometimes it is needed, sometimes it wastes some potential, but never hurts.

For example in my tac/dreadnought it is mandatory, because I need tractor beam(science team) and polarize hull.

Of course, I could follow the advice of others and use Excelsior and would not need to deal with that and also couldn't use it.

There are builds for pugs and builds for premades. And certainly the slowturning ships that "true pvpvers" avoid like gypsies work, have different needs.