Lt. Commander
# 61
10-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipplor View Post
yes thats true , but compare it to how many times an excelsior is seen , or a galaxy ( even not counting the D )
Federation fleet wise its really not seen much , yes there are a few notable apperences , but considering it was the federations flagship class for a time ( such as the excelsior and galaxy ) , there seem to be woefully few of them about
I'm not sure what your point is.
Honestly.
We know 8 Galaxy class ships by name, 3 Intrepids, 4 Akiras, 2 Novas, 1 Centaur, 1 Cheyenne and 10 Ambassadors.
It's possible to spit out numbers stating this ship appeared more often than the other.
But how frequent its appearance is has little bearing on how popular it is.

Besides if we go by those numbers we're back at the old "Klingons only appeared in so and so many episodes hence they should only get so and so much percentage of dev time" dilemma that doesn't represent how popular they are in the fandom.
Lt. Commander
# 62
10-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Im not really trying to argue against it , this is more directed at the OP of the thread than anything else
Lt. Commander
# 63 Evasive Maneuvers!
10-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Im not really trying to argue against it , this is more directed at the OP of the thread than anything else

Evasive Maneuvers!....I'll step to the side and avoid that shot to the jaw!
Lt. Commander
# 64
10-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Something more on topic:

what would you folks consider a useful and fitting special function for an Ambassador class.
The usual problem is that we know so little about her.

An idea flaoting around in my head is this:
We've got "Engineering Team", "Science Team", "Tactical Team".
What we don't have is "Damage Control Team".
We saw such teams in action several times, for example in TOS "The Doomsday Machine".
And there the team consisted of people from both Engineering and Science Department.
So my idea would be a combination of Sci and Eng Team in terms of their effects, of course without
making it overpowered.
So the effects from Sci Team 2 and Eng Team 2 with a cooldown higher than either of them.
What do you folks think?
Lt. Commander
# 65
10-06-2011, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Merriman
"In Theory", since space has no aerodynamics, if Starfleet were to equip an older ship with a bevy of weapons and upgrades, couldn't ANY ship be a Tier 5 ship? I mean, think about it.better Shields, Improvement to the hull strength, added cannons/phaser banks/torpedo launchers. Ambassadors are still in service even in STO's time. I think being a newer ship than that of the Excelsior, I would at LEAST hope it is a T3 / and T5 ship
It is not about being able to upgrade a ship, but the limited extent an old (outmoded) design can be upgraded. The Excelsior design does not look like it could accomodate the level of technology incorporated into the Galaxy or Sovereign class; especially the power management and weapons systems used on the 24th century designs. A real world example is the Iowa class battleship used during WW2 and then upgraded during the late 20th century. The design upgrades made it useful in the missilte age, but it was still a WW2 ship with all the problems of an old ship in a new era of technology.

The Dakota class versionof the Excelsior would have made a nice level 4 or 4.5 ship, bu the level 5 ships should have been the Galaxy (refit and X) and the Sovereign (with a slip-stream drive and compound shields).
Lt. Commander
# 66
10-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Why does the ambassador need any special abilities? Just make it a skin for Galaxies. I'd take an Ambassador skin. I couldn't dislike the Venture skin more than I do.

STO has had the ambassador on the back burner forever while they spit out more of their original design. Enough. Give us the canon ships we know and like.
Lt. Commander
# 67
10-06-2011, 09:57 AM
from mem-alpha

According to Natasha Yar, during the 2340s, the Ambassador-class had "a lot more maneuverability than the Romulan counterparts of that era.

maybe , if its not given as a skin , something like that to increase turn rate ? though i suppose that would clash with evasive manouvers
Lt. Commander
# 68
10-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:
from mem-alpha

According to Natasha Yar, during the 2340s, the Ambassador-class had "a lot more maneuverability than the Romulan counterparts of that era.

maybe , if its not given as a skin , something like that to increase turn rate ? though i suppose that would clash with evasive manouvers
Assuming those Warbirds were as oversized as the TNG versions it's no wonder the Enterprise-C was more maneuverable.
Lt. Commander
# 69
10-06-2011, 10:27 AM
its doubtful they would have been at that point in time
Lt. Commander
# 70
10-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Quote:
its doubtful they would have been at that point in time
It's just 20 years before TNG and the mbassador is almost as big as the Galaxy.
Also the TNG-era Warbirds are also called "b-type Warbirds" ("The Defector") so "type-a" might not be as big as "type-b" bt given even the "small" Valdore is over 600 meters long one thing is pretty clear: Romulans seem to have a thing for big ships.