Lt. Commander
Is it possible to cause the game to connect to a port on localhost (port 80 or 1080 for example) so that I can use a dynamic SSH tunnel to connect to the STO server?

I have been connecting via OpenVPN but this is no longer an option since all traffic is then proxied. I only want to connect the game via the proxy and SSH (PuTTY) can do that. I have a remote SSH server for port forwarding.

What if I point the hostname of the patch server to localhost so that I can connect to the proxy locally via port 80? It might be worth a shot but I do not know the hostname of the patch server. I can use the HOSTS file for this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-22-2011, 07:38 AM
I've been using SSH tunnel with Bitvise Tunnelier(SSH Tunnel) and Proxifier(Force proxy) to play STO.

With Proxifier you can specify processes to be "proxied", but the software is not free, though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.X_FF
I've been using SSH tunnel with Bitvise Tunnelier(SSH Tunnel) and Proxifier(Force proxy) to play STO.

With Proxifier you can specify processes to be "proxied", but the software is not free, though.
Thanks for the info about Proxifier; I did not know of it and did not think it would be possible to "soxify" STO's launcher. I have been paying $5.95 per month for OpenVPN, so paying for the software would not be outrageous. I will try it with my current SSH setup (PuTTY). If that does not work, I will get Bitvise. IIRC, Bitvise is not free either.
Lt. Commander
# 4 [solved]
09-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the information about Proxifier. It did indeed solve the problem and it is intuitive enough that I got it working right away. I did not need to install Bitvise, it worked with my current PuTTY SSH port forwarding setup.

I think the price is $39.95 but that will pay for itself in the savings from not needing OpenVPN, which cost me $5.95 every month and was no longer working satisfactorily.