Lt. Commander
# 11
09-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
The final attack of the three for the Isometric Charge is equivalent to the basic damage from the Gurumba's Javelin or the two shots of the Spinal Lance combined. If the Isometric Charge is insufficient, then by extension all of the top-tier beam weapons will need to be reviewed.

We will continue to collect data and monitor these, and if it becomes clear there needs to be an adjustment we will certainly consider it.
i think its damage levels are fine, for a basically free extra damaging ability on top of what your ship can already dish out.

oh and beams and cannons do need review, my ship shouldn't be shooting 5-8 of them, i should be shooting 1 beam or volley with the power of 5-8. weather out of arrays or banks, star trek ships almost never shoot more then 1 or 2 shots at a time, any youtube clip will show this. hopefully eventually there will be time to adjust stuff like this so ship combat finally has a star trek look.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-23-2011, 06:33 PM
If the "base damage" oif the Guramba's javelin weapon is equal to the two shots from the spinal lance then why is the former a guaranteed hit weapon with much greater damage potential while the latter is not?
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Do you feel the Spinal Lance and Javelin are similarly underpowered?
those pure damage abilities aren't underpowered, its the massive degree you can buff and resist that is overpowered. the difference between buffed and unbuffed is enormous, so is the damage you can spike, and the damage you can heal. all of that should be toned down dramatically, so again it feels more trek like.

i remember how fun the low level pvp was, when i could get a game, it felt so much more natural, no one was immortal, and no one could take you out in 1 pass, and there was next to no spam and yoyo damaging and healing. i greatly miss that, if end game pvp was more like that, it would be more trek and more fun
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Quote:
I don't have the Gurumba but I do feel like lately the spinal lance on my Gal-X is packing less punch than it used to
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
i think its damage levels are fine, for a basically free extra damaging ability on top of what your ship can already dish out.

oh and beams and cannons do need review, my ship shouldn't be shooting 5-8 of them, i should be shooting 1 beam or volley with the power of 5-8. weather out of arrays or banks, star trek ships almost never shoot more then 1 or 2 shots at a time, any youtube clip will show this. hopefully eventually there will be time to adjust stuff like this so ship combat finally has a star trek look.
Completely situational, actually. I will agree that when fighting against a single target (or focusing a single target), ships should fire volleys (i.e. Galaxy class firing a single high-power beam) instead of 5-8 weapons at once.

However, there are situations where firing a bunch of weapons is useful. For example, fighting a carrier's minions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US...ger_battle.jpg is canon support for firing many weapons at once.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Completely situational, actually. I will agree that when fighting against a single target (or focusing a single target), ships should fire volleys (i.e. Galaxy class firing a single high-power beam) instead of 5-8 weapons at once.

However, there are situations where firing a bunch of weapons is useful. For example, fighting a carrier's minions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US...ger_battle.jpg is canon support for firing many weapons at once.
every other phaser example shows single high power shots, because 1 full power shot hits a lot harder then several weak shots. examples like that were there are several weak shots exist because 1 full power shot for each of them would be overkill. just shows how versatile arrays are.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Quote:
The final attack of the three for the Isometric Charge is equivalent to the basic damage from the Gurumba's Javelin or the two shots of the Spinal Lance combined. If the Isometric Charge is insufficient, then by extension all of the top-tier beam weapons will need to be reviewed.

We will continue to collect data and monitor these, and if it becomes clear there needs to be an adjustment we will certainly consider it.
The damage of the last hit is not a problem.
The problem is in how the charge operates,

Flight time is on the long side, which gives the additional targets time to move out of range of the jump.
If a jump destroys a target, for example a mine, the charge stops there.
You need at least 3 targets in range and close together.

All this is making the charge a very very situational weapon.
Compared to the Lance or Javelin which is point at bad guy and fire, hit or miss type of deal instead.

The charge works much better in PvE against the groups of 3 frigates encounters, Red Alerts etc

And somehow the charge makes no sense in how it operates, where does it gets the extra power from for each jump? Why does it jumps in the first place?

Maybe if it works like this: It its a target and destabilizes the taregts power systems, have them fluctuate and create a charge in the shield, then like a lightning jump to other targets, maybe all 3 extra targets at once.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Quote:
I feel the maneuverability drags the value of the lance down and lacks synergy with the ability to equip cannons. (I know, standard reasoning right now says not to bother with the cannons.)

I can definitely see where some sacrifice is called for given the G-X perks but my 4 RCS console solution makes me the Don Quixote of Starfleet, tilting at windmills. There needs to be a more reasonable maneuverability sacrifice for the Galaxy-X. Would be nice for the Galaxy as well but unlike the Garamba, the G-X abilities have no synergy with eachother. We get taxed for having all those perks but nobody gets the benefits of all of those perks with a single build/loadout; it's akin to one of the more underpowered hybrids in classical MMOs... Like vanilla WoW Druids. The Garumba is more like a TBC Boomkin Druid by comparison.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-24-2011, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
those pure damage abilities aren't underpowered, its the massive degree you can buff and resist that is overpowered. the difference between buffed and unbuffed is enormous, so is the damage you can spike, and the damage you can heal. all of that should be toned down dramatically, so again it feels more trek like.

i remember how fun the low level pvp was, when i could get a game, it felt so much more natural, no one was immortal, and no one could take you out in 1 pass, and there was next to no spam and yoyo damaging and healing. i greatly miss that, if end game pvp was more like that, it would be more trek and more fun
This
Just decrease the efficiency of buffs and debuffs.
Now chances are this will make PvE lovers cry, but there is a rather obvious solution to that, which is having separate skills for pvp and pve
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-24-2011, 03:54 AM
If they buff the GalX turnrate it will become the iwin ship and nobody wants that.
It's just fine where it is.

It is true though that it feels like spinal lance is doing less damage after season 4 update compared to what it did... I used to crit for up to 44k x2, now i'm happy if i manage to get it to do 2 shots for 10k each... (with tractor beam on and target completely still)