Lt. Commander
# 361
10-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazKid
What you are forgetting is that MANY damage skills were nerfed because healing was not up to par yet. Remember when Rapid fire 3 didn't have the damage cut in half while it was active? Do you remember when scatter volley hit like a Mac truck? Those abilities & cannons in general took dps hits because of Fed complaints. Stack on top of that the fact that tactical team has made shield distribution retardedly easy, and now everyone needs 4x as long to kill because tactical team took manuevering onto a weak shield facing out of the combat equation.

FYI, buff stacking IS sto pvp at the moment, because healing isn't worth a damn compared to buff stacking.

Must say I also think the remove SS idea is solid, I mean the skill was designed for PvE boss fight crowd control, a job it solidly fails in because no one really NEEDS crowd control to take down the bosses in this game.
It sucks especially bad because in the "boss" fights we have in this game - STFs - the enemy (Borg) is particulary resistant to confuses anyway. (And against everyone else - using it against a single NPC ship is useless anyway, you really need other ships around.)

Make PvP and PvE power rules seperate...
Lt. Commander
# 362
10-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Bad idea imo, just forget crowd control in general we'll be fine, it was stupid when Everquest had it, it was stupid when WoW had it, crowd control for all intents & purposes is gimmicky, and I don't think it's the way forward for this game. The only reason a game needs crowd control systems is because they have made a retardedly powerful boss fight, who can perform one shot kills & the like who is surrounded by a bunch of meaty minions, coupled with classes that are inflexible. STO doesn't have hard classes, all ships can have healing powers in this game, so there is less need for crowd control in STO than in a game with dps only classes that have no heals, and are more vulnerable.
Lt. Commander
# 363
10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
I might have misunderstood you - does EPtA grant the immunity or higher Aux levels?
My idea was for EPtA to allow high Aux to work as a defense. The target's Aux level would subtract front he firer's Aux level, but only if the target had EPtA active. That way it *might* work as an immunity, but it would usually require taking power out of weapons for a target to go immune. Sci ships could pretty easily go immune, but they they have limited engineering slots so it costs them in a different way.
Lt. Commander
# 364
10-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Make PvP and PvE power rules separate...
This. The best thing GuildWars 1 ever did was to de-couple PvE and PvP by doing this.
Lt. Commander
# 365
10-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Quote:
It sucks especially bad because in the "boss" fights we have in this game - STFs - the enemy (Borg) is particulary resistant to confuses anyway. (And against everyone else - using it against a single NPC ship is useless anyway, you really need other ships around.)

Come to think of it, the Borg are the reason that shield healing doesn't seem broken in PvE. You can have ES, Sci Fleet, EPtS, RSF, and TSS all active on you and the Borg will still drain your shields to nothing, but in PvP Sci Fleet alone is enough to make a whole team nearly invulnerable.

Cryptic just bypasses powers that would break PvE, so it's not so obvious how broken those powers are.
Lt. Commander
# 366
10-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
This. The best thing GuildWars 1 ever did was to de-couple PvE and PvP by doing this.
Even WoW kind of does it, though they hate to admit it. Abilities that effect players tend to have a cap of around ten seconds for fragile CC, even though they might effect NPCs for 30 or 40 seconds.

In PvP it's fine for CC to only last a second or two, because players can do a *lot* in that time. But in PvE one or two seconds of CC might not even interrupt an NPC's sluggish auto-attacks.
Lt. Commander
# 367
10-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Even WoW kind of does it, though they hate to admit it. Abilities that effect players tend to have a cap of around ten seconds for fragile CC, even though they might effect NPCs for 30 or 40 seconds.

In PvP it's fine for CC to only last a second or two, because players can do a *lot* in that time. But in PvE one or two seconds of CC might not even interrupt an NPC's sluggish auto-attacks.
This is, by the way, a nice example of a relatively "soft" PvP / PvE divide.

Let some skills reduce CC effects.

For example, the whole bunch of science skills get a new passive bonus against the powers that they also buff.

So, if a Science Vessel Captain takes Starship Operations, Starship Sensors and Starship Sensor Probes to, say, buff his Scramble Sensors duration from 10 to 20 seconds, let a Cruiser Captain take Starship Operations, Starship Sensors and Starship Sensor Probes to reduce this duration back to 10. While stupid NPCs still are scrambled for 20 seconds, since they don't get these skills.

Barring any extreme level cap increases, this would require a few more hard skill choices. It would also give all science skills a passive benefit they have been lacking for so long.
Lt. Commander
# 368
10-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Scramble Sensors
1) I agree with reducing the duration by 1/3.
2) I agree with the 5 ship maximum role
3) I think that once you are hit with the scramble sensors, it should clear your target immediately. Then if you have science team and it is off cooldown, you should be able to hit it and clear the effect.
4) I also believe that it should have a lower range, such as 2km or so.

Tacticle Team
1) I think the shield distribution should be pulled off and put on it's own skill.
2) I think the shield distribution should be set as tactical team is today, 10 sec duration, 30 sec cooldown.

I would recommend to not make further modifications. If this isn't enough, you can always make other modifications later. I do not believe 5 sec duration is a good idea.

I also propose one other change along with this:

Boarding parties
1) Instead of having shuttles flying across the screen, make it an instant.
2) Allow Tactical Team to function as is against boarding parties. 10 sec duration, 30 sec cooldown
3) Make boarding parties effect do one effect that you choose (Aux, Engine, Weapon, Shield), and make it last 10 seconds.
4) Allow Engineering Team to also fix the effect. (Basically, they reroute controls)

This makes boarding parties more effective, and also makes it harder for people to choose between tactical team and shield distribution. Some may take both, and with all as ensign available skills, makes both good enough to where all tactical slots would be filled with good skills.

One other hopeful:
Mines
Please help us get rid of spamming mines.
1) Mine should be powerful like the tricobolt, but should do significant shield damage.
2) Mine should detinate after ship dropping mine gets out of blast radius.
3) Mine would effect all ships once armed, in a blast radius.
4) Blast radius should be 3km or so.

Note: This is similar to the SFC mines that were in that game. Very useful, and could be used for tactical situations - in the case of STO, could be used in a way to help clear fighters, NPC ships, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 369
10-11-2011, 04:28 AM
what is tactical team being nerfed?
Lt. Commander
# 370
10-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
what is tactical team being nerfed?
because people feel its now overpowered and makes boarding parties useless and a waste of a skill along with its shield ability so its being split into 2 seperate skills