Lt. Commander
# 41
09-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Tac team proposal good. Either way lowering it by 5 seconds or seperating the shield balancing would give my crappy boarding parties a nice window to sneak aboard. (Ive been using Boarding Party all dont laugh!) SS lowering its effect time by a third is reasonable and that thing where my UI goes crazy and targets whatever the hell it wants even if i unselect and try to heal myself. Yeah resolving that issue is a must.
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Hey guys,

Internal discussions continue about some of the more powers that are more problematic in PvP, in particular Tactical Team and Scramble Sensors. We wanted to share some of our thoughts and ask for input from the community.

Note that all of this is simply at the stage of "proposal" - we want to hear from the community before we make any kind of final determinations on any of this.

Scramble Sensors Proposal
1. Reduce maximum duration by about a third.
2. Max Targets to 5 (there has to be a cap on this, but we are willing to consider a higher cap than 5)
3. When under a confuse effect, if you have no target any power that is Self-or-Friend will always target Self. Meaning, instead of doing the camera shuffle you would only have to deselect then hit Science Team to clear the effect.
1. Is it possible to give players an innate scramble resistane that achieves this duration change, leaving PvE opponents still affected just as long as before?
2. Is there a way to limit this to player ships only? Or at a minimum avoid mines and heavy torps to be targeted?
3. Absolutely a good solution and probably a must.

Quote:
Tactical Team Proposal
1. Split off the shield redistribution as a new, separate Boff power starting at Ensign
2. Keep recharge time the same.
3. Reduce duration of all effects from current 10s to 5s.
4. Add an additional effect that is tactical themed, not damage, and is either instant or 5s in duration.
1. Not a fan. I like the idea of new BO powers, but I think you'd just be making the new skill a must-have.
2. and 3. Yes, that should work.
4. Accuracy Buff, Defense Buff, Turn Rate Buff. Pick any combination you like. Of course, if you could change how shield distribution works, that could also remove the need for all other changes. The shield distribution of TT is too efficient. If it would distribute less points per hit, or would only do it for a certain percentage of the hits, it could be scaled better by skill and rank, and it would be overall less effective.
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
We can try to make the max targets as high as possible, and we can see if we can do some filtering, but as we continue to review space powers, expect max target limitations to appear on all powers that are missing such.

This is a mandatory technical requirement from engineering for performance reasons - nothing either design or the community can do to change this.

Great feedback, btw. Keep it coming.
Not really sure your engineers are thinking this one through.

If: Server performance is decreasing due to the number of computations occurring to apply powers to a massive number of targets

And If: These powers have worked this way since the game launched

Then: The decrease of performance MUST be due to the INCREASE in targets.

You will be much more effective in addressing the cause and not the effect.

I think the consensus is pretty clear that we want less spam. Less mines per launch, less carrier pets (but more powerful) less photonic spam, less ships with gimmicky launchables.

They're a nightmare to manage, they clog up space, they are NOT Star Trek, and now... they are adversely affecting the server, causing you guys to wildly swing away at powers to limit the things the server has to process.

Start at the beginning.

If there were maybe 12 to 15 entities per battle instead of 30, this wouldn't be an issue.
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Heretic, I have a technical question. Would it be possible (without warp-core breaching the servers) to make AoE only affect certain types of objects?

In other words, the concern here on a limit for SS is people would spam to try and eat up SS target limit before it affects them personally, so why not modify SS to ignore Mines, Torpedoes and other pets (perhaps Scrambling a Carrier scrambles the pets). This way, one cannot spam their way out of being hit and are forced to either flee the area about to get hit or have ST on standby.
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Quote:
We can try to make the max targets as high as possible, and we can see if we can do some filtering, but as we continue to review space powers, expect max target limitations to appear on all powers that are missing such.

This is a mandatory technical requirement from engineering for performance reasons - nothing either design or the community can do to change this.

A simple soultion to this would be then to have target priority fall to player controled ships first then go from there. Otherwise as its been stated many many times you will only encourage spam to take place.

Say you use charged burst against a carrier and that carrier has a full wing of fighters out, how likely is it then you cpb will hit the intended target of the carrier?

Or if a fed is using mine spam/scoripion fighters.
Lt. Commander
# 46
Quote:

If it stops the slide show effect that can pop up in some of the spam wars that is fantastic.

I know its off topic somewhat here... but consider changing the nature of some of the spam as well to help them out.

Make all mines one out with 20% greater yield then the same type of torp... and make them all cloaked. Reduces screen garbage... and gives us a tactical weapon. patterns could still increase numbers but they could mirror HY torp... 2 3 4 with the same base dmg calcs. OK, sorry back to the topic, and it does tie in here.... with a change to mines... the 5 targets could be intresting... if it doesn't effect cloaked items they could be immune.. making players the more likely target.
Lt. Commander
# 47
Will the new "shield distribution" ability still be a team ability?

Because one of the greatest "risks" to using TT now is that it throws your EngTeam/SciTeams on CD. If not, it'll be very easy for heal Cruisers to throw on every heal they have (including ET) on a target while giving them that shield distribution. Or to clear SNB while having a "ghetto RSP."
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Let me add, as some others have said, if you eliminate redistributing shield power from Tac Team and make it its own power everyone is going to dump tac team for this new power. The speedy distribution of shield strength is the only reason I know of that people run tac team now.
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsaris View Post
Let me add, as some others have said, if you eliminate redistributing shield power from Tac Team and make it its own power everyone is going to dump tac team for this new power. The speedy distribution of shield strength is the only reason I know of that people run tac team now.
Speak for yourself... I run it to give me CONSTANT protection from beta delta and FOMM... its WAY too good at that right now. Part of the issue we are seeing with the SUPER healing right now and the complains on the tac team shield issues... also have to do with the fact you CAN"T debuff anyone anymore outside of Sensor Scan... which is another reason to role with more Sci Captains.

The 10 second tac team has made FOMM a joke... and forced pretty much everyone to drop their Beta Patterns. Making killing people much harder.
Lt. Commander
# 50
09-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsaris View Post
Tac team's are vital to klings who utilize hit and run. Fire on my mark is a -stealth power as well as AP beta. I hate that on my bop.

Having it have +defense is a good addition so it will still be a defensive mechanism like eng team or sci team (hull or shield heals)