Lt. Commander
# 1 Necroing Threads...
09-19-2011, 03:05 PM
I am just curious why this is such a big no-no? What's the problem with it? If theres an older post that already been made up and its still viable, why not let us use that one? Instead of cluttering up the server with more data to hold on to.

I've revived my Andorian thread on the Academy board at least once and have gotten whiners complaining about necroing my own thread. There's a ton of info in that thread, and I am certainly not going to make a whole new thread and dig out the content from the old one (because its on several different pages).

I haven't had any reason to reply to it for a while, so it is in no danger of rising from the dead. lol

This question is simply out of curiosity... I wouldn't mind someone (or Stormshade) explaining why its such a bad thing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Boils down to because the mods say so.

Part of it is because some people do it just to be irritating...
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
Boils down to because the mods say so.

Part of it is because some people do it just to be irritating...
I figured that was pretty much it, I just wondered if there was more to it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Hmmmm my thought was that people taking part in the conversation so many months ago may no longer be around. It isn't fair to win a debate about something because all your opposition left.

You should just stay here with us though, aisling. Hort would never report one of your posts....
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-19-2011, 03:22 PM
I think it is for a few good reasons. First, the conversation laid to rest months even years ago can be rekindled. In the cases of argumentative troll fest flame wars wounds are reopened. Second, with the game evolving from month to month a revitalized thread would contain a lot of outdated arguments. This would only serve to feed confusion and potentially flames.

But it is definitely so much fun to raise a zombie once in a while. ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
I think it is for a few good reasons. First, the conversation laid to rest months even years ago can be rekindled. In the cases of argumentative troll fest flame wars wounds are reopened. Second, with the game evolving from month to month a revitalized thread would contain a lot of outdated arguments. This would only serve to feed confusion and potentially flames.

But it is definitely so much fun to raise a zombie once in a while. ^_^
Ah! That makes perfect sense.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-19-2011, 08:35 PM
You'll find most forums has rules regarding necroing. Some are as little as two weeks; some over a year. I think STO's 30-day rule is fair enough. If the thread was really that important, it wouldn't have made it to 30 days without a response. And especially with all the news that has changed. Someone posting they don't think F2P will happen 30 days ago obviously has an outdated opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-20-2011, 04:18 AM
Necroing is pretty disgusting too. The dead should be left alone. This is why I advocate cremation.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-20-2011, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Second, with the game evolving from month to month a revitalized thread would contain a lot of outdated arguments.
I do not know... about that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Well that's what the archives search is for.. To get our "CHAT" fix

I do not recommend copy of a thread closed or re titling a closed thread that was dragged out back and buried [or otherwised wishstoned]

Ok who brought the hot dish.. wheres my lefse and loganberries..

Its really about server space and general ideas of a good forum etiquette.

The Motto of the Black Watch fits here.. A few Versions cause LAtin has changed..

"Dont rasie up what you cant put down" is one version. another is No one evokes me with impunity"