Lt. Commander
# 1 Weapon Dmg Type
09-19-2011, 05:46 PM
This isn't just a pvp thing... but I'll put it here anyway.

Why do our weapons have to have odd proc abilities.

I vote we reduce all Energy Weapons down too 1 or 2 procs....

Disruptors and Phasers keep their procs and dmg number as is right now.

Tetreyon get the same proc as Disruports... and a 2% dmg boost to account for the extra skill points.
Plasma get the same proc as Phasers.... yes let them set a subsystem on fire... and a 2% dmg boost.

Polarons get the same proc as a disruptor... and a 1% higher chance to proc to account for the skill points.
Anti Polaron... get the same proc as a phaser... and again 1% higher chance to proc.

I mea, right now no one uses anything but phasers anyway.... its starting to look like an orange disco party. At least this would give people options...... lets face it everything but Dis and Pha... suck.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
This isn't just a pvp thing... but I'll put it here anyway.

Why do our weapons have to have odd proc abilities.

I vote we reduce all Energy Weapons down too 1 or 2 procs....

Disruptors and Phasers keep their procs and dmg number as is right now.

Tetreyon get the same proc as Disruports... and a 2% dmg boost to account for the extra skill points.
Plasma get the same proc as Phasers.... yes let them set a subsystem on fire... and a 2% dmg boost.

Polarons get the same proc as a disruptor... and a 1% higher chance to proc to account for the skill points.
Anti Polaron... get the same proc as a phaser... and again 1% higher chance to proc.

I mea, right now no one uses anything but phasers anyway.... its starting to look like an orange disco party. At least this would give people options...... lets face it everything but Dis and Pha... suck.
You do release the planned skilled change is getting ride of weapon type skills.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Good idea, but....
09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Pretty good idea, however...

They're going to be revamping the skill system soon away from Energy specific, ship specific, and kinetic specific (Torpedoes / Mines) energy types. Instead, we'll have skills that give flat bonuses regardless of what you use / fly.

Still, nifty idea
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Well there ya go then... disregard. lol
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-19-2011, 09:46 PM
A revamp of the skill tree won't be enough. It will make more weapon types useful but most will still fly around with Phasers. The Tetr proc while nice to look at and in theory useful against shield tanks (and my personal favorite ) still won't be a match for phasers. Offline shields or a minimal shield drain who noone notices anyway... tough question right? So instead of the current phaser only (exaggeration) people will probably use phaser/disruptor/antiproton/maybe plasma weapons. An improvement sure but still some work to do to make all types useful.

It is basically the same with the torp issue. Torps used are Quantum, Photon and a couple of Trics/Chronitons. HY-Plasma should in theory be a good alternative to Trics (can be used more often, needs less skillpoints, DoT-component but less dmg/volley... not sure if the last one is true for HY3-plasma) but noone uses them. Being a big green slow moving target probably doesn't help either.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Phaser proc is one of the most annoying things in the game if you ask me. The "cheapest" weapon type to spec into with the ability to absolutely destroy a target with its proc....compare it to ANY of the other weapon types proc, isnt even close. It's just as cheese as any of the other BS abilities people ***** about if you ask me. I'd vote to change the cheese proc or at a very minimum make it cost as much as antiproton.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorFury View Post
Phaser proc is one of the most annoying things in the game if you ask me. The "cheapest" weapon type to spec into with the ability to absolutely destroy a target with its proc....compare it to ANY of the other weapon types proc, isnt even close. It's just as cheese as any of the other BS abilities people ***** about if you ask me. I'd vote to change the cheese proc or at a very minimum make it cost as much as antiproton.
Pretty much exactly this... swap polaron with Phaser procs... and things would look better.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Pretty much exactly this... swap polaron with Phaser procs... and things would look better.
Phaser proc should never have been added, sounds good on paper, but in reality its stupidly op.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-20-2011, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurQue
Phaser proc should never have been added, sounds good on paper, but in reality its stupidly op.
Removing it, would be ideal.... but then how would the turret boats work ? The poor PvE guys too how would they kill breen ? with Disruptors ??? Pasha
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-20-2011, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Removing it, would be ideal.... but then how would the turret boats work ? The poor PvE guys too how would they kill breen ? with Disruptors ??? Pasha
Well... you don't need the phaser proc. Subsystem disables are just pretty nasty, compared to all the other procs.

The idea behind the proc seems to be that Phasers are canonically often used with high precision to disable subsystems. But the problem is - that wasn't a random thing. It was done intentionally.
Phasers could maybe work better with Beam Target Subsystem to represent their ability (and in the end, Beam Target Subsystem is that mimics the actual action of disabling enemy ships abilities). Doing this would require making every weapon type have a special benefit with different powers, which might be too much to ask.

Maybe the entire weapon proc thing was just not a good idea in the first place?
Maybe all weapons should have acces to the same proc. Every weapon gets a 2.5 % chance for a "direct hit". And then you determine randomly from a list:
  1. Subsystem Hit: 1 random subsystem disabled for 5 seconds.
  2. Hull Breach: -10 damage resistance penalty
  3. Shield Penetration: +20 % bleedthrough for the attack
  4. Energy Coupling Hit: -25 to all power levels for 5 seconds.
  5. Plasma Fire: Attack inflicts +20 % damage over 10 seconds.
  6. Shield Grid Hit: Enemy shields take additional 5 % damage to each facing.
  7. Inertial Dampener Hit: Lose 10 % or 10 crewmen (whichever is lower.)
Each weapon has a "preferred" proc. Since there are 7 different procs, maybe the "preferred" has a 25 % chance, the others a 12.5 % chance each. So, a Direct Hit happens in 2.5 % of the cases, and than has a 25 % chance to proc the favored proc, and a 75 % chance for one of t he others.

This would probably notable reduce the effectiveness of the phaser proc, while making all other weapon procs more useful.