Lt. Commander
# 211
09-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakner View Post
Not sinking just realigning the key positions to Perfect World. I recently saw this at the company I was laid off from after 11 years, when a larger US company took us over a few years back they replaced key figures at the top so it was easier for the future direction so to speak. It’s easier to get all the little guys to do what you want when then big guys are all on the same page. With all the key figures PW there are no hidden agenda’s and a lot less conflict if any major changes are introduced over the next months.

It is very common with takeovers and buyouts, I would have been more surprised if he was allowed to stay.
Now that I think about it, the same thing happened when NcSoft bought ArenaNet. Guild Wars co creator and ArenaNet's co-founder Jeff Strain had an abrupt "career change" during Guild Wars 2's early development and just after NcSoft purchased them. Jeff posted a very gracious letter stating it was his decision, that he was leaving on good terms, all that very familiar stuff. If this is the case, I feel bad for Dan. He doesn't deserve to be muscled out because of a buyout.

Guild Wars 2 is very near completion now and looks to be an amazing game. So even if this is a hidden force out, it doesn't HAVE to negatively impact the game. But it is still a shame he's leaving regardless the circumstances.
Lt. Commander
# 212
09-20-2011, 08:40 PM
They are saying the new temporary replacement is a really big Trekkie, so that's a big plus.

Maybe if he does a great job and everyone likes him he will stay and we will have a StarTrek fan in charge.

I'm gonna look at this positively and wish DStahl the best of luck.
Lt. Commander
# 213
09-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal
I'm now beginning to think that STO is sinking much faster than it was before.
I have my crew in their escape pods ready to go and the self-destruct order ready to be given,I'm just holding off the call for "All hands abandon ship" for the time being.

What was left of any optimism I had has just went out the window with this announcement and that "other" game is starting to look better and better.

One thing that will ease my mind a bit is if Chris and Jeremy on STOked get an interview with Dan's replacement when they go to Cryptic's studios for their 100th episode.Give the community a chance to see the new guy and maybe get some of his ideas and thoughts of going forward with STO.
Lt. Commander
# 214
09-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakner View Post
Not sinking just realigning the key positions to Perfect World.
I sincerely hope not as us PWI players had absolutely zero access to the developers from PW Co. Ltd. just a couple moderators and a community manager from PWE. I really like the way the Developers come and talk directly to us and help us make the game better by discussing bugs and tweaks.
Lt. Commander
# 215 good luck!
09-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Sad to hear this Dstahl was great for this game but I am sure there is no shortage of people with passion for trek. You will be missed and good luck

Perhaps we will see you in game as a player
Lt. Commander
# 216
09-20-2011, 08:44 PM
First they go to F2P to hope for more money (LMAO), now the captain steals the only lifeboat...yep. This ship's headed for the bottom of the Mariana Trench now.
Lt. Commander
# 217
09-20-2011, 08:45 PM
wow STO chews through head devs like no ones busniess. seriously thats two in less then 2 years operation, that's bad no matter how you look at it, it's hard to design for the long term when the law of averages says the top changes every 6 or 7 months
Lt. Commander
# 218
09-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmaul
First they go to F2P to hope for more money (LMAO), now the captain steals the only lifeboat...yep. This ship's headed for the bottom of the Mariana Trench now.
Everybody who ever went F2P did see a revenue increase. Unless you're one of the top 5 MMOs on the market, a subscription costs you more money in lost sales than it makes you.

Who's left as P2P? Waqrcraft and TOR? And Blizzard has been salivating over F2P models as a longterm prospect for months now and is starting to dip its toes in.
Lt. Commander
# 219
09-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWorth
What was left of any optimism I had has just went out the window with this announcement and that "other" game is starting to look better and better.
Infinite Space? gonna get steamrolled now that STO is going F2P which was the only exclusive thing IS had going for it.

SW:TOR? Well thats more complicated and I think depends on A: do you prefer Star Wars? and B: Is money an object?
I personally feel TOR has sub-par graphics and that alone removes any remote thought of playing it even if it were free.

On topic;
  • Archer would tell you to be an optimist, then insult a Vulcan somehow.
  • Kirk would tell you to be an optimist and Spock would raise an eyebrow.
  • Picard would give an impassioned speech, but the TL;DR would be; remain optimistic.
  • Janeway would say 'suck it up and stick with it' and Tuvok would raise his eyebrow.
  • Sisko would be a realist, but he would expect you and his crew to be the optimists.
  • Harriman? Well you'll have to wait on his response until tuesday.
Lt. Commander
# 220
09-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
wow STO chews through head devs like no ones busniess.
I think this is actually unusually low turnover for this industry. We've only on our third in two years. That's about on par with most of the bigger and more successful games.

The big difference I can see is, at, say, Blizzard, the head devs get shuffled off to work on the nextgen MMO before becoming execs or quitting.