Lt. Commander
# 231
09-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks Dan and good luck
Lt. Commander
# 232
09-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Man this is depressing, I hate sounding so negative but man, Dstahl was my hero!

I know that sounds corny but not only was he good at getting things done, but he was also really awesome with the community. I'm just having difficulties seeing someone being as active and close to the community as he is/was.

This has my heart bumping and has shaken up my faith in STOs longevity. I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible but it's difficult, guess I'll just have to wait and see what the new guy is made of.

Anyways, I hope to see you around again in the future Dstahl, I'm going to miss all your activity on the forums and various interviews. It's saddening, but on a realistic note I think it's pretty awesome for you to have found new opportunity elsewhere and to move on and I want to wish you well on your future journeys!
Lt. Commander
# 233
09-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Wow, that was unexpected.

I definitely think that the game has benefited greatly under Dan's leadership and it'll be hard to find someone as excited about not just developing the game but keeping the players as much in the loop as possible. However, this is pretty much some of the worst timing ever. If it was for a personal reason or an amazing job offer that just couldn't be turned down I understand and would drop it. However, if it had anything to do with Perfect World, upper management at Cryptic or the game itself I think we as paying customers deserve to know what's going on.

In any case, Dan I wish you the best of luck in your new adventures and I hope that we'll see your name show up in some lofty huge game sometime soon!
Lt. Commander
# 234
09-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Well.

It's no secret I've been very critical of STO and the development staff in general. However, I bear no ill will toward Mr. Stahl, and I wish him the very best in his future endeavours. In fact, I have a feeling that his departure may be the best thing he could do for his career.

Cryptic is rapidly earning one of the worst reputations in the business, and Dan is wise to distance himself from it before it affects his own reputation as well. Honestly, I do not foresee more than another year of existence for this game, anyway. There has been too much badly done, too little support from upper management, not enough staff or money, practically no direction and more besides. Dan inherited a foundering ship and did all he could despite what I'm sure was significant resistance from above.

Thus, I thank Dan for his efforts and work on our behalf, and I ask he forgive any ill will I may have engendered in my many rants.

Best of luck in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 235
09-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Wow... I mean... no, "Wow" about covers it. Talk about getting hit smack between the eyes with a baseball, this REALLY came out of left field. To say that this was unexpected is about like saying "I didn't expect to walk into the bathroom and see a unicorn sitting on the toilet." It is just not something that ever even occurred to me MIGHT happen.

Ok, despite not quite being over the shock of it... I wish you the best in your future endeavors, Dan. Fair winds and following seas and long may your big jib draw!
Lt. Commander
# 236
09-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Good luck Dan.

I'm kinda hoping there's a way you can change your mind and stay.

Best wishes, and thank you for all your hard work, your openess to the community, grace under criticism, and for being a genuine fan like the rest of us.

You will be missed.
Lt. Commander
# 237
09-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Good luck in your next steps dan. Life is an adventure, have fun :-)
Lt. Commander
# 238
09-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Good bye Dan you will be missed. May fortune favor you and may the wind be always at your back.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 239
09-20-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm saddened to hear the news. =[ As a life long treky and soon to be CS graduate I feel confidant saying Dan was the best thing to ever happen to STO. His commitment to RAD software development methodology has been perfect for game and its fanbase.

I have been on this forum since Aug of 2008, years before the game even launched. Dan moved the game in the direction of greatness I have always hoped this game could reach.

Thanks for all your hard work! I wish you luck in the future, but wish you would stay.

"Peace and long life" to you, "Your service honors us."
Lt. Commander
# 240
09-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Very sad. That title sees too much churn. I actually liked this one, balsy, headstrong, outspoken, and clearly capable of getting things done. whoever follows will likely feel like Fred Kaps in 1964...