Lt. Commander
# 11
09-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Not going to comment about PvP, but the Borg Torpedo Spread 1-shots are pretty evident.

The thing that gets me is the new Torpedo Spread tracks the target even outside the 10km safe range, while the old Torpedo Spread exploded in the area the target was during launch.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Not going to comment about PvP, but the Borg Torpedo Spread 1-shots are pretty evident.

The thing that gets me is the new Torpedo Spread tracks the target even outside the 10km safe range, while the old Torpedo Spread exploded in the area the target was during launch.
It just behaves like any other torpedo does, so that's not surprising. The old spread was an AoE that was basically set to explode at the location of your enemy where he was at the time you shot the torps. That meant it could never go beyond the 10 km "safe zone" because you can't fire at enemies beyond 10 km. But it also made the entire skill irrelevant, since you almost never hit anyone.

No, the tracking thing is not a problem. The crit potential is out of line and needs to be fixed. If that is done, the behavior is still consistent with all other forms of torpedo attacks.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-23-2011, 02:24 AM
yesterday i got the TS2 skill, and during testing (2 fleetactions) i got 4-5 30k+ crits (even a 42k hit) with the spread. with THY3 i rarely got numbers like that, and i'm still using the same quantum torpedo tube.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
ANd I want some of it!!!!

I'm tired of screaming at my Tricobalt, " FLY FASTER YOU @@@@@@ !!!"

granted Trics work when not activated at 5km, which I often do by mistake.
You could always make a Cloaking Bomber running 2 copies of TS and alternate between trics and w/e flavor of other Torps you want. With BoP or B'rel you have plenty of other Boff slots to be creative.

I like flying in and releasing a TS volley, follow up by a Tric and GW, popping evasives and TBR while flying what I like to call a Spazz flight pattern in my B'rel called SPOOOOOOOOOOON. But, to each their own I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiClari View Post
As it currently stands, Torpedo Spread directly strikes specific targets up to the limit, as opposed to damaging "everything within a defined space", which is what a true AOE strike would do. Since the current version of Torpedo Spread does not simply blast everything, but instead targets individual enemies, I think that it would be reasonable that enemies that you supposedly can not detect (i.e. cloaked ones) should be exempted from the targeting list.

To use an analogy to 20th century weapons, with the current version of Torpedo Spread, instead of dropping depth charges to see what gets hit, you are launching a salvo of independently-targeted guided missiles, which by all logic would be unable to lock onto enemies that their guidance systems could not detect.
The 20th Century equivalent would be it you shot a shotgun, but only saw the shotgun pellets that would strike things, as they were striking them. I see your point, but disagree with your assessment. The cone vs explosion was a solution to a bug issue, and the cone still exists, you only see graphics as they relate to targets in the cone, because otherwise we'd have functionality issues. To claim a power needs to be fixed based on a bug fix, and basing it on reality perceptions rather than based on actual functionality of the power is a logical fallacy. The power is an AoE. The power functions as an AoE. The graphics to the power show us something different because current technology necessitates that they do. It isn't like Beam Fire at Will where each attack is independently targeted at a target in the area.

Quit crying, adjust, and stop breaking my game based on PvP whining.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamid
You could always make a Cloaking Bomber running 2 copies of TS and alternate between trics and w/e flavor of other Torps you want. With BoP or B'rel you have plenty of other Boff slots to be creative.

I like flying in and releasing a TS volley, follow up by a Tric and GW, popping evasives and TBR while flying what I like to call a Spazz flight pattern in my B'rel called SPOOOOOOOOOOON. But, to each their own I guess.
hAD i KNOWN WHAT WAS COMING i WOULD'VE ASKED THEY RE-INSTATE THE kdf i WIN BUTTON :p
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havesum
The 20th Century equivalent would be it you shot a shotgun, but only saw the shotgun pellets that would strike things, as they were striking them. I see your point, but disagree with your assessment. The cone vs explosion was a solution to a bug issue, and the cone still exists, you only see graphics as they relate to targets in the cone, because otherwise we'd have functionality issues. To claim a power needs to be fixed based on a bug fix, and basing it on reality perceptions rather than based on actual functionality of the power is a logical fallacy. The power is an AoE. The power functions as an AoE. The graphics to the power show us something different because current technology necessitates that they do. It isn't like Beam Fire at Will where each attack is independently targeted at a target in the area.

Quit crying, adjust, and stop breaking my game based on PvP whining.
Shotgun Pellets don't automatically seek out cloaked birds in the sky.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabolica View Post
Shotgun Pellets don't automatically seek out cloaked birds in the sky.
And therein lies the difference. Torpedo Spread in its newest version does not simply "attack everywhere" within its zone of effect--it individually targets enemies. In anything approaching real life, it wouldn't be possible to target something that you can't locate--you can only do "blind fire" and attack everywhere like the Enterprise-E does against the cloaked Scimitar in "Nemesis".
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-27-2011, 04:34 AM
and fix Bfaws attacking of cloaked targets blindly. How does the gunner even target at will what he can not see?
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiClari View Post
And therein lies the difference. Torpedo Spread in its newest version does not simply "attack everywhere" within its zone of effect--it individually targets enemies. In anything approaching real life, it wouldn't be possible to target something that you can't locate--you can only do "blind fire" and attack everywhere like the Enterprise-E does against the cloaked Scimitar in "Nemesis".
But the game doesn't let you blind fire. Give me some way to fire a Torp Spread (or cannon volley, or cut through an area with beams) in the area I think a cloaked BoP might be, and I may agree with you. Until then, the cloak doesn't work realistically how a cloak would work, either. A ship that's 2 km from me and being pounded by Spreads and Volleys shouldn't be able to disappear, and magically not be subject to those attacks, when I know exactly where he is.