Lt. Commander
If you were writing for sto what direction would you take the story?

Personally, I would write a story where the Icoians created a temproal phase shield around the aera of space where Romulus used to be, and phase it back into this timeline. Then the universe would have to deal with a unified Icoian/Romulan threat. (And I would finally be able to beam down to Romulas!)

Post your ideas below and have fun. (No flaming)
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-21-2011, 09:21 AM
The Borg, after seeing the Federations success, would shift their strategy of assimilation to a peaceful one. Their strategy would be to invite ~5% of each race join them willingly, thus giving them a bit of insight into every species. Instead of drones being armed with plasma casters, they'd have Orion pheromone generators. They would spread their civilization out over the entire galaxy in small numbers, having just a bit of influence everywhere. The populations of the galaxy would no long be completely assimilated, but would be allowed to develop their unique technologies freely. Additionally, the NeoBorg would no longer have their individuality stripped of them. If all the people are joining willingly, then they'll probably work together by their own choice.

I never liked the current Borg mindset. They can never develop new tech on their own. If they succeeded in assimilating the galaxy, their civilization would just go into limbo. That Voyager could manage to defeat the Undine in combat where their whole civilization failed shows there is a tremendous flaw in their system.

The current Borg queen will have to be overthrown by a new personality to facilitate these changes. (Is Spock still around?) I wouldn't mind a Borg civil war in this game. It could allow for some interesting missions. I don't like the Iconians, I'd rather interact with species I know.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-21-2011, 09:34 AM
If I were writing, you'd see a lot more minor factions. The Iconians are good and all, but you always have to deliver a central storyline in measured doses. The series would regularly fritter away half a season doing other stuff while main events sat unmentioned just building tension (ongoing Borg and Romulan events in TNG) or passed in the background as points of discussion (Dominion War in DS9). The more pieces on the board, the more you can move them around without needing to constantly develop the major arcs.

So I'm saying, more Ferengi involvement, appearances from more aliens of the week. One of my personal wants after Tholians is another Shelliak encounter. Considering the headlong rush of technology seen from TNG forward, by now I imagine the Federation could meet them on fair terms.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
The Borg, after seeing the Federations success, would shift their strategy of assimilation to a peaceful one. Their strategy would be to invite ~5% of each race join them willingly, thus giving them a bit of insight into every species. Instead of drones being armed with plasma casters, they'd have Orion pheromone generators. They would spread their civilization out over the entire galaxy in small numbers, having just a bit of influence everywhere. The populations of the galaxy would no long be completely assimilated, but would be allowed to develop their unique technologies freely. Additionally, the NeoBorg would no longer have their individuality stripped of them. If all the people are joining willingly, then they'll probably work together by their own choice.

I never liked the current Borg mindset. They can never develop new tech on their own. If they succeeded in assimilating the galaxy, their civilization would just go into limbo. That Voyager could manage to defeat the Undine in combat where their whole civilization failed shows there is a tremendous flaw in their system.

The current Borg queen will have to be overthrown by a new personality to facilitate these changes. (Is Spock still around?) I wouldn't mind a Borg civil war in this game. It could allow for some interesting missions. I don't like the Iconians, I'd rather interact with species I know.
Sounds like the Caeliar from the Full Circle books. As to the Borg themselves, I wouldn't change them. That's what makes the Borg intimidating, but I would stop overusing them. Voyager made them seem weak and commonplace instead of menacing. STO only made it worse with this idea of one or two ships taking out whole fleets. They're villians, and they need to stay that way.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-21-2011, 09:55 AM
If I were writing for STO, I'd stop for a second and update my resume...just to be safe.

Not doomsaying - I just believe in always being prepared.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-21-2011, 10:02 AM
people can play my foundry mission to see what i would do.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-21-2011, 10:31 AM
What Revo Said Plus.. I'd encourage them to require Franz Josephs original Tech manual .

Then read the General War notes from Star Fleet Battles The General War rules of supply and through in the Homer
Peloponnesian Wars the Iliad The Odyssey. These can even be found on Minds Eye Theater Tapes.

JRR Tolkien's the Similarion? But Formal education in the Greek and Roman Societies Structures a must For Romulan Sub-plots. Down to an easy to find Guide to Roman Military Structure Titles and organization .

I guess its not position critical college knowledge to know that JAcks the DUX.

or what a Duplicareus is or was anymore.
SPQR..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...banner.svg.png
=============
But who am I?
4.0 International Affairs
4.0 Police Organization and Administration
Superior Grade in Military Brigade Battalion Staff and Organization
Superior in Junior officers NCOs Special Forces Operations
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Sounds like the Caeliar from the Full Circle books.
Hmmm I'll have to look these up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenshiBat View Post
<snip>
"What if Senshi was writing for STO" is just another question entirely, isn't it? :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Directions I'd Take the Game:
  • Research push for Undine Detection measures by Starfleet and Klingon Intelligence resulting xenophobia and reversal of centuries of progress.

• Social upheaval and rejection of the old ways leaves a heavy price on Cardassia with widespread poverty and dismantling of social structures that held them together.

• Ferenginnar develops its own alliances to protect tradelanes.

• Gorn resistance movement springs up in Eta Eridani Sector Block and more planets follow suit--after the KDF's blockade and starvation on the Gorn Homeworld.

• Sela's absence leads to the Romulan Star Empire collapsing on itself, being overrun by the Borg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
people can play my foundry mission to see what i would do.
I can attest that Revo's gameplay and storylines were better than the first two featured series--no joke.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Directions I'd Take the Game:
  • Research push for Undine Detection measures by Starfleet and Klingon Intelligence resulting xenophobia and reversal of centuries of progress.

I hope that's with the idea of individual Captains holding to the "Old Way" and fighting against it.

• Social upheaval and rejection of the old ways leaves a heavy price on Cardassia with widespread poverty and dismantling of social structures that held them together.

Read some ST novels

• Ferenginnar develops its own alliances to protect tradelanes.

Why the Ferengi and Orions didn't have a thing going, I'll never figure out.

• Gorn resistance movement springs up in Eta Eridani Sector Block and more planets follow suit--after the KDF's blockade and starvation on the Gorn Homeworld.

Yeah that would help this lame Klingon Vs. FED war make more sense. Typhon Pact makes barely more sense.

• Sela's absence leads to the Romulan Star Empire collapsing on itself, being overrun by the Borg.

Lame, she just disappeared, maybe she comes back stronger? Makes some deals? Some how the poor Klingons became a major player after being dependent and now the Romulans should be the ST 6 race brought to their knees? They could have over ran the Klingons at anytime, past the few lame "canon" alternate episodes. You Know they were alternates because it made as much sense as Germany winning WWII?

I can attest that Revo's gameplay and storylines were better than the first two featured series--no joke.
I would put the Klingons and the Feds back to a "Cold War" footing. There is too much out there that is a danger to both. Countless examples of Klingons, heck even ROM's, have shone that individual captains see the need to work together past the whole "we are factions we must Fight!!" mentality.

PW has used faction-less games before and it's lame to think that it needs to be US VS THEM, to PvP.

Otherwise we have to build a "explore" function while still claiming a need for a Territory Control system. I'd give the PvP players some maps, some mechanics, several things to buy in the C-store (so when we go FTP they aren't getting anymore of a free ride, than a PVE player who doesn't want to play dress up).

Then let them effect the game as little as their numbers are compared to the whole. (Please note, this statement comes with the acceptance that if they are in anyway a major part of revenue or player base, compared to the casual non-PVP player base, they get the attention they deserve).

I Would expand the adventures and build upon them. The Iconians showed up, then the preservers. This is a war that the Sargons and the Ageis (Gary 7), would have to enter, not to mention the Organians and others. A threat like this would effect many races like the above, that at current max rank and higher, are the only things that make sense for us to deal with.

Please note, this is based on the game as it is, not on canon, this game opened it's own can of worms.