Lt. Commander
# 191
02-22-2012, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he was wrong about something.
Lt. Commander
# 192
02-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
They probably should've kept the whole thing quiet while they sorted it out, or at least as quiet as scientists can keep anything.
Actually, they followed the scientific method completely. Science is about finding a repeatable experiment. We accept that water freezes at 0C because we can repeat the experiment ourselves and see that it is true. In fact, the only reason they figured something was wrong was because they proverbially got water to freeze at 0.01C. Their results conflicted what was considered a repeatable experiment (Theory of Relativity).

They had completed an experiment and couldn't figure out why the results were as they were. So they practically begged other scientists to point out what they screwed up. They didn't reach a consensus; they presented their results and welcomed scrutiny.

They are the model for how science should be approached regardless of field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he was wrong about something.
I'm sure he will be found to be wrong about something. Science will continue to improve and we will find an exception to his rule, and then we will find an exception to that rule.
Lt. Commander
# 193
02-22-2012, 08:34 PM
actually they just announced today they think they made a boo boo caused by a faulty fiber optic cable causing a false reading so i guess good ole Albert was right after all........for now lol
Lt. Commander
# 194
02-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
They are the model for how science should be approached regardless of field.
I just meant keep it off the evening news so the Truthers don't find out.

I'm trying to run a conspiracy here, people! Show some consideration!
Lt. Commander
# 195
02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
I just meant keep it off the evening news so the Truthers don't find out.

I'm trying to run a conspiracy here, people! Show some consideration!
I'm sorry.

But, did you hear the Illuminati (I find it weird that Safari didn't consider that word misspelled) killed Whitney Houston?
Lt. Commander
# 196
02-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
So it turned out to be a bad connection to a GPS receiver. Why was a GPS receiver even in there? This is in direct violation of the KISS principle! :p

edit: Also, sorry for raising a zombie thread, but I thought in this case it would be appropriate.
Good to know Hort. Just what I hopped to read when you saw the thread was resurrected. Good to know and good call.
Lt. Commander
# 197
02-23-2012, 12:50 AM
The most beautiful thing about the scientific method is how it encourages old models to be destroyed, providing you have sufficient evidence and peer review.

In this case, the faulty GPS unit prevents this data from being reliable.
Lt. Commander
# 198
02-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Well, very likely it was that bad connector. But we won't know for sure until May, when they run a few adjusted tests.
Lt. Commander
# 199
02-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Well, very likely it was that bad connector. But we won't know for sure until May, when they run a few adjusted tests.
Glad to hear they are still going to explore the possibility.
Lt. Commander
# 200
02-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The most beautiful thing about the scientific method is how it encourages old models to be destroyed, providing you have sufficient evidence and peer review.

In this case, the faulty GPS unit prevents this data from being reliable.
Well, they followed the established debug process. That consists of eliminating the following in order:
  1. Operator Error
  2. Operator Error
  3. Operator Error
  4. Operator Error
  5. Operator Error
  6. Manufacturer Error
  7. Test Error
  8. Equipment Malfunction
  9. Interference
  10. Design Flaw