Lt. Commander
# 21
09-23-2011, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
if this is confirmed. Ftl in normal space may be possible.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7KM3UU20110922
This has jsut been mentioned on BBC news in th UK now. lol I hope so this would be cool and annoying and fun all at the same time as if it is possible to do ftl in noraml space, tha we may have to we re learn physic etc nd fun in coming up ways and understanding etc. Love science!
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-23-2011, 03:55 AM
Right, time to design a real Starfleet with ships and stuff, I wanna get the heck off this polluted world of ours and explore the galaxy and conquer... err I mean meet other life and civilizations in (relative) peace.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
Ceases to amaze me that people are that arrogant to not want to prove them wrong. Science is usually about observation and what we observe so if that is alas true how can we know for certain. I for one am glad they proved that wrong. Small numbers or not it was still proven wrong.
But a single observation is not sufficient to indicate anything. As every observation can include mistakes, repition or reproducability is important.
So the goal is now to find out if the observation was correct. And if we can't find any clear evidence that it was, we need to repeat the observation.

Basically, we can take this observation as a proof, we first have to prove the observation was correct.
If that all works out, then we have to come up with a theory that explains the new observation.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-23-2011, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
you'll need to find a steep slope first with plenty of runway.
2. You'll need to turn yourself into a Neutrino.
3. ???
4. FTL.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-23-2011, 04:42 AM
First CERN smashes string theory, then it throws the Higgs Boson into doubt, now neutrinos moving faster than the speed of light?

Why do I find all this so exciting!

I mean I know it still must be reproduced but just the notion is freaking awesome!
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
First CERN smashes string theory, then it throws the Higgs Boson into doubt, now neutrinos moving faster than the speed of light?

Why do I find all this so exciting!

I mean I know it still must be reproduced but just the notion is freaking awesome!

Yes this is very Awesome!
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-23-2011, 06:11 AM
I'm still waiting for the CERN guys to produce the Black Hole that'll destroy the Earth
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
I'm still waiting for the CERN guys to produce the Black Hole that'll destroy the Earth
science says its not possible. Like not traveling faster than light... err... nevermind....
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Quote:
pfft those guys cant even make a doomsday device right. call them self scientists. :p
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Quote:
You'll be waiting a while. Assuming science is wrong and those black holes don't dissipate faster than they can possibly absorb matter (and we've been observing them long enough that we can be pretty sure they do). I think it was Phil Plait who did the math, but I could be wrong. Anyway, if the LHC produces singularities with every collision and runs around the clock, after around ten thousand years it will drift out of tolerances and stop working.

The sun will be dead and gone seven or eight times before they create a measurable gravitational anomaly, let alone destroy the earth.

That's assuming they don't just dissipate, that is, which every one we've created did.