Lt. Commander
# 31
09-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meynolt View Post
Right, time to design a real Starfleet with ships and stuff, I wanna get the heck off this polluted world of ours and explore the galaxy and conquer... err I mean meet other life and civilizations in (relative) peace.
These are the voyages of the USS Impertinent...

It's mission, to spoil strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... ... ... and meddle in their affairs.
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Well, a nanosecond being a billionth of a second, light moving at (roughly) 300,000 kilometers per second (1 kilometer per 3,333.abunchof3s nanoseconds) and the distance across which they measured being 730 kilometers, which'd still take light well over 2.4 million nanoseconds to cross, this 60 nanosecond difference comes down to an overall 0.0025 percent increase in velocity. Warp 1.00083. On the old Cochrane scale.

So even if this doesn't turn out to be a faulty measurement, I would still bring more than one change of underwear for your next trip to our closest neighbouring star system. 1,538's a good number to start from. Twice that if Alpha Centauri doesn't have a laundromat. Half if it does and you turn them inside out, but keep in mind we have to recycle the air.
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-23-2011, 10:12 AM
If this 60-nanosecond over a few kilometers observation were actually *real* - then on a galactic scale it should have and would have been noticed sooner. For example, neutrinos from a supernova would reach us years or decades (or longer) before the photons would if this observations were true.

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but everything coming out of CERN these days is a statistical fluke. And so, I'm afraid, is this "news" also.

Einstein is still quite safe (for now).
Lt. Commander
# 34
09-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaqua
If this 60-nanosecond over a few kilometers observation were actually *real* - then on a galactic scale it should have and would have been noticed sooner. For example, neutrinos from a supernova would reach us years or decades (or longer) before the photons would if this observations were true.

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but everything coming out of CERN these days is a statistical fluke. And so, I'm afraid, is this "news" also.

Einstein is still quite safe (for now).
Ah... so you're one of those internet physicists! How exciting! :p

psst... dont take me too seriously.
Lt. Commander
# 35
09-23-2011, 02:57 PM
SO what are they going to do now to further prove this etc?
Lt. Commander
# 36
09-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
SO what are they going to do now to further prove this etc?
Fermilab in Chicago is currently working on something repeatable for this. Here's a copy of the original paper that started all this.

You were supposed to solve Physics, not destroy it!
Lt. Commander
# 37
09-23-2011, 04:10 PM
They've asked other institutes to run their own experiments.

If they back this up, great news, everyone's excited cause we learned something new and the theory of Relativity is going to at least need some revisions.

If they don't, great news, we won't have to rediscover half of what we already thought we knew. Bad news for CERN though, cause it would draw into question any and all experiments they did with the same equipment in recent time, and it'd probably at least partially shut them down for months or years while they try to figure out which of all those cables are plugged into the wrong sockets.

If I had to put money on it, I'd bet on the latter.
Lt. Commander
# 38
09-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
Ah... so you're one of those internet physicists! How exciting! :p

psst... dont take me too seriously.
lol - yep and i got the cereal-box diploma around here somewhere with my name written in crayon to prove it! :p
Lt. Commander
# 39
09-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
if this is confirmed. Ftl in normal space may be possible.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7KM3UU20110922
Its not going to be confirmed. Its just one experiment. It is likely that somebody did some math's wrong. Or they forgot to account for something. Or something.

Relativity can not be trivially changed in any way to account for something like that. And non trivially changing Relativity is out of the question since Relativity has been experimentally verified countless times, and many technologies, experiments, etc are using Relativity to successfully do their functions.
Lt. Commander
# 40
09-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Meh scientists will just increase the speed of light to compensate.