Lt. Commander
# 41
09-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Meh scientists will just increase the speed of light to compensate.
Unfortunately we can't do that. The speed of light is a really common and easy research project to test that most labs do just for the sake of getting another number at the end to boost accuracy records.. Not to mention it isn't a qualitative scale but an absolute value.

What my professors and I are thinking is that it probably has to do with the fluctuation of the neutrino between its 3 flavors and our own poor resolution in detecting them.
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
Unfortunately we can't do that. The speed of light is a really common and easy research project to test that most labs do just for the sake of getting another number at the end to boost accuracy records.. Not to mention it isn't a qualitative scale but an absolute value.

What my professors and I are thinking is that it probably has to do with the fluctuation of the neutrino between its 3 flavors and our own poor resolution in detecting them.
You can even measure the speed of light by just using chocolate and a microwave oven. Sure, it won't be accurate, but its still cool.

Also, there is no inaccuracy in c. C is defined to be 299,792,458 m/s
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
Fermilab in Chicago is currently working on something repeatable for this. Here's a copy of the original paper that started all this.

You were supposed to solve Physics, not destroy it!
Not only that, Fermilab actually noticed the same thing a few years ago. They dismissed it, though, as it was within their margin of error. CERN's findings are well enough outside their margin of error that they want other people to take a look at it, so Fermilab is revisiting their previous experiments and taking a look at CERN's findings.
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I love debates like this. I find it fascinating that a man with only a high school education at best, almost 100 years ago, put forth a theory which has become the standard for all physics. So much so that modern scientists with all their computers and brains will vehemently refute any discussion to the contrary. This is most likely because their education in physics is based on this theory, and therefore, any opinion they will have will be biased in favor of their physics foundation.

I do not have a degree in physics, so I look at these things skeptically. Not because I think thousands of scientists are wrong, but because everything that we can do now, we said was impossible only 100 years ago.

1. Man can't fly
2. You can't travel faster than sound
3. Man can't go to space
4. Nuclear bombs will ignite the atmosphere and destroy everyone

Thats just a few.

Light speed is just a number. It just happens to be the speed light travels. Isn't it a coincidence that it also happens to be the physical speed limit of the universe. Hmm....

So mathematically, all this is sound, but just maybe we don't know everything.

I can't wait until the aliens really do show up "announced." Yeah, they may destroy us all, but at least I can die knowing that physicists really were wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericho791 View Post
I love debates like this. I find it fascinating that a man with only a high school education at best, almost 100 years ago, put forth a theory which has become the standard for all physics. So much so that modern scientists with all their computers and brains will vehemently refute any discussion to the contrary. This is most likely because their education in physics is based on this theory, and therefore, any opinion they will have will be biased in favor of their physics foundation.
I'm not against notion. I agree that scientific bias may have held us back more than we know, but Einstein was seeking entrance as a college level math instructor about the time that he published Relativity.
Lt. Commander
# 46
09-25-2011, 05:21 AM
Love the irony in this news, Nikola Tesla called BS on Enstien and his theory over a century ago, but it takes the experts (with all that amzing education they've recieved) at CERN 6 billion euros spent on basically an electro magnetic cannon powered, using the same kwh rating as a big city. I just don't get how these guys at CERN don't see the connection.
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesun
Love the irony in this news, Nikola Tesla called BS on Enstien and his theory over a century ago, but it takes the experts (with all that amzing education they've recieved) at CERN 6 billion euros spent on basically an electro magnetic cannon powered using the same kwh rating as a big city. I just don't get how these guys at CERN don't see the connection.
Um, they haven't proved anything, only found an anomaly that needs to be investigated to check the source of said anomaly.
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
Um, they haven't proved anything, only found an anomaly that needs to be investigated to check the source of said anomaly.
It's proof enough for me, i think we're all about to realise that for past 100years we've been travelling down a blackhole.
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesun
It's proof enough for me, i think we're all about to realise that for past 100years we've been travelling down a blackhole.
you wanna bet 200 on that?
Lt. Commander
# 50
09-25-2011, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
you wanna bet 200 on that?
a bet on what? that speed limit of the universe imposed by Einstein can be broken using electricity and magnets?