Lt. Commander
# 51
09-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Also don't forget that theorists also make up anomalies for FTL travel all the time to explain things that have already occurred (in theory) where FTL travel had to have happened.

Take the Big Bang for example. They believe it happened quite readily during the initial formation of the universe, because............ The physics of the universe were in the development stage.

That.......... is............ ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 52
09-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericho791 View Post
Also don't forget that theorists also make up anomalies for FTL travel all the time to explain things that have already occurred (in theory) where FTL travel had to have happened.

Take the Big Bang for example. They believe it happened quite readily during the initial formation of the universe, because............ The physics of the universe were in the development stage.

If everything started with a single point at the "big bang" and the universe is a little less than 14 billion years old, with a diameter of roughly 156 billion light years, (estimated by astronomers, you know guys like Hubble who confirm the crazy notions of theorists like Einstein), it is entirely possible that under the right circumstances matter will travel faster than the speed of light. If this CERN/Fermi neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light thing is right it only confirms the fuzziest notions of Einstein's Relativity.

Remember Special Relativity exists because Einstein was not comfortable with an ever expanding universe so he fudged the math of his original work. It too Hubble's Red Shift observation to get Einstein to go back into his original notes and give up General Relativity. Same is true of the Big Bang. While the Big Bang comes from Relativity, Einstein completely overlooked it. It took Georges Lemaître to see what Einstein had missed in his own work.

I have always said the speed of light is a constant in a partial vacuum at the current scale of the universe. That leaves room for the rule to change at different scales. In some ways using a big magnet to push sub particles faster reproduces those earlier scales.
Lt. Commander
# 53
09-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Quote:

My understanding was the formation of the universe was caused when the laws of physics "failed" for a moment. I tried using that excuse when my homework was lost but my teacher didn't buy it.
Lt. Commander
# 54
09-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
I have always said the speed of light is a constant in a partial vacuum at the current scale of the universe. That leaves room for the rule to change at different scales. In some ways using a big magnet to push sub particles faster reproduces those earlier scales.
Yep. And literal scales change things, too. The smaller you get, the more the rules change. Electrons, for example, don't care so much for Newtonian Physics. Einstein was right about a lot of things. Anyone who has ever used a GPS device has seen a very practical application of his work. It also pulls from Kepler, who most people don't know existed because all but his core work was expanded upon or overturned.

Science moves forward. It changes as our understanding of the world around us changes. We wouldn't be able to overturn Einstein, for example, without having Einstein's theories. Not because they wouldn't exist, but because the machinery we use was developed as a practical implementation of his ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 55
09-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
My understanding was the formation of the universe was caused when the laws of physics "failed" for a moment. I tried using that excuse when my homework was lost but my teacher didn't buy it.
LOL Brilliant by the way. If I was your instructor I would have let you have extra time.

Was not prepared for a high school chemistry test once so I wrote "42" for all the questions. The teacher was a Douglas Adams fan because she let me retake the test for full credit.
Lt. Commander
# 56
09-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Quote:

Yea not a big believer in the big bang myself, soon as i stumbled on the fact that the big bang theory was thought up by a vatican scholar, it instantly looked like a scientific creation myth with room in there for god.
Lt. Commander
# 57
09-25-2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesun
Yea not a big believer in the big bang myself, soon as i stumbled on the fact that the big bang theory was thought up by a vatican scholar, it instantly looked like a scientific creation myth with room in there for god.
I'm going to try and avoid dipping into religion here, but many, many important discoveries in science were funded by the Church or had ties to deeply religious individuals. Darwin developed his theories on evolution as a way of showing the wonder that God had created, for example. The Vatican is a religious organization. To assume that someone who happens to be a member of a particular religion is less credible than any other scholar is at the best weak.
Lt. Commander
# 58
09-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Quote:
I can't wait until the aliens really do show up "announced." Yeah, they may destroy us all, but at least I can die knowing that physicists really were wrong.
Just before he gets Alien Death Rayed, I bet that Professor Brian Cox says the Aliens are 'AMAZING'. Can't wait for that to hit the BBC iPlayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhzh3_vp3Ts
Lt. Commander
# 59
09-25-2011, 06:39 AM
I'm not comfortable that the Big Band theory is so accepted as fact these days. "Knowing" what happened 14 billion years ago after studying the problem for a couple decades doesn't sound reasonable to me.

They say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. If 14 billion years is 1000 miles, then a century is only 1 centimeter....
Lt. Commander
# 60
09-25-2011, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer42 View Post
I'm going to try and avoid dipping into religion here, but many, many important discoveries in science were funded by the Church or had ties to deeply religious individuals. Darwin developed his theories on evolution as a way of showing the wonder that God had created, for example. The Vatican is a religious organization. To assume that someone who happens to be a member of a particular religion is less credible than any other scholar is at the best weak.

You sure Darwin wasn't just saying that to make it seem like he conformed, to get his work published? from what i've read the church was aginst him . So much so that i think (really will have to check) that he didn't want his final book published untill after his death.