Lt. Commander
# 1 Tac-Cruiser beams question
09-23-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm working on a Tac-Cruiser bleedthrough build - couple copies of Directed Energy Modulation, transphasic torpedoes, etc. Just kind of a fun build to see how much damage I can cram through shields before they drop.

At lower ranks I was using plasma beams, for the hull DoT, but I'm debating going into disruptors instead. It would save quite a few skill points, and I think the 10% damage resist bonus would also work well with the build, since it would cause the damage bleeding through to be 10% more effective when it procs.

I like plasma beams; since they're a lot less common than disruptors they tend to be a lot less commonly defended against. 2/3 of the PVE enemies in the game use disruptors (on the Fed side, anyway) so it's a pretty safe one to add some defense against. And there's just something psychologically satisfying about setting your opponents on fire, although I understand the actual damage is pretty minor on the proc.

Not sure if there's a simple way to check "teh maths" to see which is more effective, so I was just looking for some input as to whether the less common (but more expensive) plasma is worth it for the DoT, or if the occasional 10% bonus to my DEM and Transphasic damage, plus the skill point savings, would be enough to make disruptors a smarter choice.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Phasers/Disruptors are pretty much the only way to go for weapons. Some folks use polaron/anti-proton but it is *really* expensive to spec in.

Where PvE is concerned, you can do what you want... most of the enemies go down so easily that any build will work.

Though I'll tell ya' now, DEM isn't really the greatest if you are on your own. It's 30-40 shield penetrating damage per pulse... so unless you are pulsing a lot (cannons) it isn't going to do much. I haven't seen any PvE enemies that can keep their shields up well enough for hitting them through the shields to really matter. 2-3 people using DEM and focusing on one target can be fun though. It's one of the coolest methods for taking down shield tankers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Interesting. I mean I put it together like a fairly normal Tac-Cruiser build, so a decent mix of defensive abilities and DPS. I think eventually going slightly more Tac with either the Assault Cruiser or the Excelsior refit.

I just thought it would be fun to work in a couple of copies of DEM, plus transphasic torpedoes, so that the extra hull damage was more of an added bonus than the entire source of offense. More like giving you something else to worry about while your shields are still up, and hopefully having the hull softened up a bit when the shields finally drop.

Don't know if that makes any sense or not. But it plays like your average Tac dude in a Cruiser, with just a bit more focus on upping the damage that gets through the shields. I was just trying to figure out the best beam weapon for the job.

I know Disruptors are a lot cheaper to spec into, which was weighing pretty heavily in my thinking, especially if I wanted to go with Transphasics for fun, which are expensive.