Lt. Commander
# 1 BoFFs no Longer Melee?
09-18-2011, 10:10 PM
I've noticed for a little while now that my BoFFs no longer like to melee, instead they just stand there with a Bat'elth in hand and occasionally using a power once in a while.

Anyone else notice this or know if Cryptic is working on the problem?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-18-2011, 10:25 PM
IDK I've got a boff that melees and he seems to be doing it. Also has 3 lunges and a sweeping strikes so i might just be seeing him doing those. Either way they don't combo like they should. Always a 1 strike, wait wait, 1 strike.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Seems like BOffs use weapon range for their awareness of enemies. If they have a melee weapon their awareness seems to drop to almost nothing, so they simply aren't seeing enemies even though they're near by.

You can even order them to attack a specific target and as soon as that target dies, regardless if there are other enemies nearby, they will run back to your location and stand there.

They also don't know how to fight using melee attacks. Seems like they pretty much stick to the base attack over and over. I've never seen a BOff use a combo while meleeing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-19-2011, 09:11 AM
I just started a new Alt last night that only Melees. I gave all 4 BOffs weapons from the Melee pack and they were chopping it up against the Klingons on P'Jemm without issues. It was actually fairly cool to see the Feds and Klinks going it at with Melee weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-19-2011, 01:32 PM
when i equip melee weapons to any on my boffs, so far they just stand there and do nothing. Most of the time my crew guns every body down before they even get close enough for melee. Personally i'd love to see melee weapons get some love like energy weapons did because as it stands my Main can Kick harder than any damage from a sword or Bat' leth he holds.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-19-2011, 10:18 PM
What kind of BOFF specifically? Tac BOFFs (especially with melee skills) will go hand to hand. Eng and Sci BOFFs have never really entered melee, even with melee weapons equipped. They just tend to stand around.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-20-2011, 06:41 AM
Boffs have never melee'd properly... ever.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
What kind of BOFF specifically? Tac BOFFs (especially with melee skills) will go hand to hand. Eng and Sci BOFFs have never really entered melee, even with melee weapons equipped. They just tend to stand around.
Yep, Gorn Tac BOFFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtrovan View Post
Boffs have never melee'd properly... ever.
Very much not true. Prior to Season 4, my Gorn meleers were very useful in rushing NPCs and keeping NPCs busy while the rest of the team cleaned up. But after Season 4, like said above, they just stand there like they are ready to fight.

If they do engage in melee, they hit very infrequently.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Yep, Gorn Tac BOFFs.

Very much not true. Prior to Season 4, my Gorn meleers were very useful in rushing NPCs and keeping NPCs busy while the rest of the team cleaned up. But after Season 4, like said above, they just stand there like they are ready to fight.

If they do engage in melee, they hit very infrequently.
Tbh, I haven't done much melee after Season 4 as it's slower compared to range, and the S.D. Hypo Spray cooldown changes/Stun grenade fragile stun changes kinda killed it for me.

But, I read in another thread people had issues w/Boffs not meleeing when they switched weapons after they beamed down. Have you tried equiping them in space? Also, if you're using sniper rifle or some other long range weapon they may be out of aggro range. Have you tried to manually move them into the fight w/way points and manually select manual skill attacks?
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
FYI, I had melee sci boffs fight w/bat'leths (prior to season 4 haven't tested after). But, they're slow attacks and don't use combos.