Lt. Commander
# 1 Borg weaponry.
09-24-2011, 04:08 PM
If the energy shields fielded by the Borg are only effective against energy weapons, why don't ships keep some slug throwers on-board?

The armor may be tough, but they are still partly flesh. As FC show melee still works as did a Tommy Gun. Some specialty rifle with a micro-replicator for bullets and a bayonet.

As with any zombie, aim for the head.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Which is why, in every book based after Nemesis when the federation goes up against the borg, the standard issue weapon is the T-116 rifle. Its a projectile weapon with a micro transporter that beams the bullet to within a few inches of the target shortly after it leaves the barrel, if so equipped.

In one of the later books they get really clever and carry portable energy dampeners to shut down all electronic technology, which renders the borg's energy weapon useless, and rely on chemical flares to see the approaching borg.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
Which is why, in every book based after Nemesis when the federation goes up against the borg, the standard issue weapon is the T-116 rifle. Its a projectile weapon with a micro transporter that beams the bullet to within a few inches of the target shortly after it leaves the barrel.
Not everyone has access to the T-116 in this game sadly
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmeagolSneak View Post
Not everyone has access to the T-116 in this game sadly
A fact that still makes me smile. Because I do. However it would be a lot better if it scaled past Mk III. (I know it says Mk I but it is the same dps as Mk III, at least it was when I last checked.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuboyT View Post
If the energy shields fielded by the Borg are only effective against energy weapons, why don't ships keep some slug throwers on-board?

The armor may be tough, but they are still partly flesh. As FC show melee still works as did a Tommy Gun. Some specialty rifle with a micro-replicator for bullets and a bayonet.

As with any zombie, aim for the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
Which is why, in every book based after Nemesis when the federation goes up against the borg, the standard issue weapon is the T-116 rifle. Its a projectile weapon with a micro transporter that beams the bullet to within a few inches of the target shortly after it leaves the barrel, if so equipped.

In one of the later books they get really clever and carry portable energy dampeners to shut down all electronic technology, which renders the borg's energy weapon useless, and rely on chemical flares to see the approaching borg.

Borg arnt zombies but they probley would die with a good tritanium bulit thrugh the head... what I think would be awsome is if the Elite force group of star fleet agenst the borg had an advanced projectile/phaser rifle. Press a buton and it swiches back and forth between advanced projectiles and phasers.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Why does it need to be an advanced projectile?

But yeah I can see a dual type weapon being developed. Especially considering the danger of the borg.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash-jackel View Post
Why does it need to be an advanced projectile?

But yeah I can see a dual type weapon being developed. Especially considering the danger of the borg.
How well do you think a avrage built from a modern rifle would do agenst the borg? I think the built seting does less damage but cant be adapted to and passes trough sheilds and phaser doesnt go trough sheilds and can be adapted but does more damage could work.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Yikes someone failed in their attempt to learn English.
Anyways a modern bullet would probably do fair well against the Borg. I mean if .45 ACP can kill them then pretty much anything we use today can do it. A rifle round would go through them like they're made of butter.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-07-2011, 07:43 PM
If a civilian model Thompson can take down two drones without being fully emptied, any modern rifle should have little problem cutting them down. A modern military assault rifle puts that gun to shame in pretty much every aspect except ammo capacity thanks to that drum magazine. Should have no problem dropping drones.

I know the TR-116 used gunpowder, but it was also developed for use in dampening fields where energy weapons would fail, not against the borg. Starfleet certainly would have no problem developing coilguns that could deliver extremely high impact force with tiny bullets, so the ammo capacity could be high enough to be effectively unlimited, explaining away any need to implement limited ammunition.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Pfft 5.56 may be superior to .45 ACP but really for killing drones I'd recommend digging up Warsaw Pact standard calibers.