Lt. Commander
# 11
09-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_81 View Post
I can't speak to the rank insignia...but I like the uniform! Any chance of a guide for that, Blackavaar?
Yes, I would love to make a Jupiter uniform like that for my BOffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldrin View Post
It's five admiral pips, not the lower rank pips. It would make him a Fleet Admiral.
Then why is he referenced as "Commander" for rank?
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMiracle
Then why is he referenced as "Commander" for rank?
The reason was mentioned previous. Per regulations, the officer doing the promition ceremony has to be of a higher rank than the officer being promoted. So sometimes the lower ranked officer is temporarily pinned to be a higher rank than the officer getting the promotion. It for apperances. Just like an Army Captain will be addresses as Colonel aboard a navel vessel. There can only be one Captain on a ship.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Why would you call an Army Captain "Colonel" when Colonel is 3 grades ahead of Captain, which is equivalent to a Lieutenant in the Navy? It would be more appropriate to call him or her "Lieutenant."

BTW, I was in the US Army for 4 years and I've seen peoples' family members pin on their ranks, I've seen a Sergeant First Class pin Captain's bars on a former Lieutenant or 1st Lieutenant onto a former 2nd Lieutenant.. It's not always a person of higher rank who pins on the rank, it's usually a person in the officer's chain of command or family. (Jake Sisko also pinned the Captain's pip onto his father's uniform on DS9) In the case of the Sergeant First Class, they are usually Platoon Sergeants and Lieutenants are Platoon Leaders. (in name only) The real leader of the platoon is the NCO, the officer is there because they're fresh out of training and need to learn from somebody with a lot of experience.

As for the rank on the guy in the game, the most likely answer is that it's an error. The writers wrote a Commander but the graphics artists made a Fleet Admiral. The other option is that he is a Fleet Admiral and he's Commander Starfleet, like Admiral Morrow was in Star Trek III. However, that's unlikely as Admiral Quinn is probably Commander Starfleet, so I'll still go with the error.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-25-2011, 11:05 AM
In all my years of watching and reading ST, I have always understood that 5 pips indicated a Fleet Captain.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-25-2011, 11:06 AM
It depends on if it has a bar around it. If it does, it's Fleet Admiral. If not, it's Fleet Captain. Either way, the guy has on the wrong rank.

Edit: it has a bar around it, his rank on his uniform is Fleet Admiral. That has to be an error because there's no good reason to have two Fleet Admirals stationed at spacedock.

Image Here

Of course, whether he's a Commander or a Fleet Admiral, there's no good reason for him to be saluting a Lieutenant Commander.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Yep, Fleet Admiral.

The reason he's addressed as Commander may be an oversight on Cryptics part. Though you'd think they'd have caught it by now, especially when giving him the new Jupiter uniform.

On the subject of the uniform, I want the Gold/Brass option for my UFP belt!

Having Admirals in Silver/Chrome, just ain't cricket :p
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmaul
That's not five rank pips - that's an admiral's rank bar. Five pips on a bar is Fleet Admiral.
This is it.
* RAUH
** RALH
*** Vice Admiral
**** Admiral
***** Fleet admiral
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-25-2011, 11:48 AM
I think you got your Rear Admirals mixed up, but that's basically it.

I miss Commodores. I always thought Commodore sounded cool, much better than Rear Admiral Lower Half. Just because the US Navy went to that system didn't mean that Star Trek had to. After all, TOS was in the 23rd century and they had Commodores back then (because the US Navy had them back then also.) However, they could have brought the rank back in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-25-2011, 12:29 PM
this may be a simple error but I think it's more likely that it was Done for future use when Fleet Admiral rank is added to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Maybe the officer is referred to as Commander, because he's the C in C (Commander in Chief) of Starfleet? Or is Admiral Quinn the C in C, since he has the same rank as Admiral Hilo? According to the STO wiki, Menn Hilo might be Starfleets C in C.

http://www.stowiki.org/Menn_Hilo