Lt. Commander
Ran a search on this subject but found no recent hits.

Why are bridge officers with rare abilities like Torpedo Spread 3 and Beam Target Shield Subsystem 3 so exceedingly difficult to aquire, especially on thr KDF side? I do understand that the latter is by design, but when the ability in question is quite significant in PvP, then there should be some kind of repeatable mission or in-game store that issues random bridge officers for each faction. This will solve existing availability issues and provide a new time + money sink to keep players busy.

Thoughts and comments are welcomed.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Just the way the game works... I don't think there is reasoning for any of it. The whole idea of BOffs with non-trainable skills is utterly absurd.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-27-2011, 10:14 AM
The reason might be to give players something to hunt for, to find it by chance or to gain it my trading with others.

To give you a rationale that could work for you (in ingame terms):
See these skills as something the officer came up with in the field, something they dont teach at the academy, the solution to problem that came up or just a clever idea in a crisis at hand.
"Lieutenant, I want that attacker gone, now!"
*Hm.. i if couple.. and reroute.. invert this.. hah!*
(Lt. Bob just invented the means for a very powerful weapon attack: Beam Overload III.)
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruko
The reason might be to give players something to hunt for, to find it by chance or to gain it my trading with others.

To give you a rationale that could work for you (in ingame terms):
See these skills as something the officer came up with in the field, something they dont teach at the academy, the solution to problem that came up or just a clever idea in a crisis at hand.
"Lieutenant, I want that attacker gone, now!"
*Hm.. i if couple.. and reroute.. invert this.. hah!*
(Lt. Bob just invented the means for a very powerful weapon attack: Beam Overload III.)
I would almost agree... However, once a character hits VA1 / LG1, they can no longer earn new bridge officers. Furthermore, the feds do have BO- farming available through "The Doomsday Device," while the klingons do not seem to have any equivalent mission.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar487
I would almost agree... However, once a character hits VA1 / LG1, they can no longer earn new bridge officers. Furthermore, the feds do have BO- farming available through "The Doomsday Device," while the klingons do not seem to have any equivalent mission.
DOFF system is supposed to deliver new BOFFs I recall.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-27-2011, 11:46 AM
I doubt there was any coherent reason for making some "uber" III skills not captain trainable and only available by lottery drops (I doubt anyone even had a coherent idea which would BE the must-have skills at the outset).

If captains could train all level III skills and we could de-commission and sell trained BOFFs, the whole system would work a lot better for everyone. It would also be a nice source of steady income for captains who want ot buy some common BOFFs, train a bunch up in the useful skills of their class, and then sell them off on the exchange for other players to use.

Barring that, they could at least put all of the high-demand "boff-only" skills on the C-Store tradeable, nonunique candidates. Another nice way to make these far more available to people, as well as provide a source of in-game income for those who want to just purchase and sell them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar487
I don't think you get random Bridge Officers in any of the mission rewards. Only from levelling. So you can't farm rare abilities (unless those BO always have rare abilities).

It would probably make more sense if we could actually "grind" for Bridge Officers, like you could do with Very Rares.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I don't think you get random Bridge Officers in any of the mission rewards. Only from levelling. So you can't farm rare abilities (unless those BO always have rare abilities).
Incorrect... Go to your bridge and check out the Doomsday Device mission. The reward includes your choice of 1 rare bridge officer with randomized stats and 1 Hargh'Peng torpedo launcher. Unfortunately the BO stats won't "re-roll" until you accept the current reward set.

Quote:
It would probably make more sense if we could actually "grind" for Bridge Officers, like you could do with Very Rares.
Yes, this would be a welcomed addition.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruko
DOFF system is supposed to deliver new BOFFs I recall.
What is the exact KDF mission name?