Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
09-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Guys there are few threads out there talking about how to change your cursor just remeber that it is considered HACKING and as stated by TOS/TOU if you hack the files and break them in a way you cannot play the game or cannot fix yourself Cryptic CANNOT and WILL NOT help you in any way.

If you have/use Window's go in to your mouse options and look for the "show location of mouse cursor when i press the CTRL key" and click the box to enable.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-28-2011, 02:10 PM
There was a site, called sto-advanced.com. It was glorious. The owner modified all sorts of cosmetic files. He made a larger mouse cursor. He changed the overly blue LCARS so they were the older colorful style. He made a script that would swap out bridge MSD images to the ship design you wanted. (So your Galaxy Bridge showed the schematic of an excelsior or what not)

But, sadly, this site has gone the way of the dodo because of negative reactions received by the owner and, well, because those reactions made him quit the game. The files may still be out there... but I couldn't find them.

note: this wasn't considered hacking, and it was allowed by dev's at the time. Though they stated they couldn't provide any support if you messed something up.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-28-2011, 02:12 PM
The thing is, there used to be an unofficial fix, and it was very simple and worked fine, but it was deemed to be against the rules and the site that had it and some other things like color lcars is long gone. Cursors could be easily officially fixed, AND folks could be given a choice of cursors.

I really wish we could get a nice bright cursor like that site used to have. We know it isn't hard, just kick out a few colors and shapes, and if you really have to, sell the pack in the C-store

heh the guy above me beat me to it.as I was writing
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
I really wish we could get a nice bright cursor like that site used to have. We know it isn't hard, just kick out a few colors and shapes, and if you really have to, sell the pack in the C-store
When in doubt make a CStore item!
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
As much as i would like a race specific cursor (ST games 12 year ago had it...) just being able to adjust size, color, and/or brightness would make me as happy as tribble in a grain bin.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
Then why not a simple "Cursor Brightness" stting for the people having trouble seeing it?
The Brightness isn't the only problem. For those of us who run the game at higher resolutions the mouse is way too small and honestly its also a bad color because white blends in with a lot of the effects when any high level bloom lighting is being used.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyto View Post
There was a site, called sto-advanced.com. It was glorious. The owner modified all sorts of cosmetic files. He made a larger mouse cursor. He changed the overly blue LCARS so they were the older colorful style. He made a script that would swap out bridge MSD images to the ship design you wanted. (So your Galaxy Bridge showed the schematic of an excelsior or what not)

But, sadly, this site has gone the way of the dodo because of negative reactions received by the owner and, well, because those reactions made him quit the game. The files may still be out there... but I couldn't find them.

note: this wasn't considered hacking, and it was allowed by dev's at the time. Though they stated they couldn't provide any support if you messed something up.
Moreover, this single brave person PROVED that it was a SIMPLE fix.
There is no excuse for this not being available.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix316 View Post
I'm okay with people who want one getting a more visible cursor, as long as the current one remains available for people like me who have decent eyesight and a good screen. I don't want to be forced to use a massive ugly bright cursor.
It's not about having a good monitor and eyesight, it's more to do with the grey cursor being lost in the background.
For example, I play STO at 1900x1080 resolution on a 22" flat screen monitor through a HDMI cable. The image on screen is crystal clear but the mouse cursor is tiny and grey which leads to it being lost on occasion, usually on ground maps but occasionally in space too; STFs are a particularly bad spot for me as the brighter background colours are very effective at masking the cursors location.
Just being able to make the cursor a little brighter would help, a huge garish mouse cursor is not what anyone wants but not being able to activate a buff on myself or someone else because of a cursor is just tedious.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyto View Post

I don't remember any negative comments against the guys work... however I do a remember an atmosphere where the community managers of this game "looked away" whenever his work was mentioned. Unfortunately too many questions in too short a period of time on these forums meant that it could no longer be ignored and the Community managers were forced to "clarify" the rules set out in the TOS/EULA regarding third party modifications. In response the person in question took the site down, purely to protect his game and forum account against any official action that could have been taken.

A real shame, especially as some of the work he had done with his mods for the game (at the time) were fantastic, I believe that his sector space mod helped spur on and inspire the devs to change sector space in to what we have now.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-28-2011, 03:45 PM
A better cursor would be nice, one that doesn't blend with the space background, especially the general black background. It can be very annoying when you can't see the cursor due to how well it blends with a black background. Even more annoying in a battle.

A bigger cursor, not huge, just big enough, with a better colour or colour options so that the player can adjust the cursor to make it a lot easier to see would be very helpful.

And why not faction cursors? Birth Of The Federation did that really well with each faction having a cursor that fit the faction. Surely CBS wouldn't begrudge having a Starfleet symbol for the Federation and a Klingon symbol for the Klingons, it would fit with the factions just right.